Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

RegEdt Wont Open

0 0

RaWr!!!! For some reason my RegEdt32.exe wont open! I believe it could be a file by the name of 'redist.dll' in my System32 folder, but I cant delete it. What's going on guys, how can I defeat this!?!?!

.::ZTB::.:angry:

0 0

If you need to delete it, download a program called Unlocker. It's freeware and should unlock the file so you can delete it.

0 0

Since regedit is a sysfile(kinda sorta) you prolly have a virus. Backup then format is my suggestion.

0 0

:p thanks for that program i got rid of 'redist.dll' which was a bad bad file, but i still cant open RegEdt!

.::ZTB::.:@

0 0

Well, it must be a virus.

0 0

nope. nothing is working. im running a virus scan right now to see if anything is fishy.

HELFEN MIR!! .::ZTB::.:angry:

0 0

Oh hey you are elite..hmm..well then..

What virus scanner do you use; AVG?

0 0

If your infected with a virus there is very little chance your Av can save you. They mainly prevent infection not cure it.

0 0

yeah that's nice but i'd like to know what's wrong with my computer:(

.::ZTB::.

0 0

ziggythebear wrote: i still cant open RegEdt!

Try running 'regedit' instead of 'regedt'…?

0 0

well regedt32.exe is the proper name of the file, when i try to open that NOTHING happens, i dont even see it flash open

it tells me regedit isnt a valid Win32 application

it tells me it cannot find regedit32

so im sure it's regedt32

0 0

Uber0n wrote: Try running 'regedit' instead of 'regedt'…?

lol Yeah, that should work. :-P

Why not just run regedit instead of regedt32?

If neither work, have you checked out gpedit.msc? Maybe you, or a "friendly" prog on ur computer, restricted you from the Registry through that.

Edit: Saw your recent post. Have you tried browsing to %SystemRoot%\Windows\regedit.exe or %SystemRoot%\Windows\System32\regedt32.exe? Maybe your PATH variables are f***ed up, so you might have to locate them with their respective paths.

0 0

nothing works…

0 0

both, and ive tried opening it through cmd prompt

0 0

Have you tried any freeware/shareware registry editors?

Maybe you you could use one of those and see if there is something in the registry (a DLL being loaded on startup, for example) that is breaking regedit.

0 0

I've seem multiple viruses that prevent the user from opening regedit/regedt32. I think the virus does this by replace the regedt32 file with an executable that doesn't do anything. Try downloading regedt32, renaming it to something, and running it from your desktop… might work dont know for sure

EDIT:

ziggythebear wrote: well regedt32.exe is the proper name of the file, when i try to open that NOTHING happens, i dont even see it flash open

it tells me regedit isnt a valid Win32 application

it tells me it cannot find regedit32

so im sure it's regedt32

You know what i think i got a virus like this two years ago… i remember replacing some dll file that fixed some problems, but i think i ended up reformat :(

0 0

instead of just double-clicking on the .exe try running regedit in the run box from the start menu unless your computer is older then run regedt32.

Start>Run type: regedit -or- regedt32 (for older systems)

on newer systems regedt32 will still work and it is regedt32 not regedit32

if you have another computer maybe you can replace regedt32.exe with another one, but make sure its the same one when you do it, otherwise it might screw it up even more. what OS are you using WINNT or WINDOWS. Im guessing your not using XP, because XP uses regedit.exe.

0 0

hackncrack wrote: Im guessing your not using XP, because XP uses regedit.exe.

XP has both regedit.exe and regedt32.exe. regedit.exe is in %SystemRoot%\Windows, and regedt32.exe is in %SystemRoot%\Windows\System32.

But, yeah, I have to agree with everyone else… you've probably got a virus that did something to prevent you accessing the registry. Make sure your PATH variable (reached through System Properties, Advanced, Environment Variables) contains both \Windows and \Windows\System32. If the PATH doesn't contain those directories, then typing the commands in the Run window will not work.

Your best bet would probably be to backup your files, get your XP install CD, and boot off of that. If you boot to the install like you're going to reinstall XP completely, it will go pretty fast and only replace any files that are missing. Just in case, though, have a backup of your files.

0 0

I am greatful for the help. But some of you keep posting things that arent nessecary. I have said what I have tried so there is no need to ask whether or not I have went to the source, ran it through "Run" or done anything else, like I have said I have tried all of that. I have also downloaded a freeware/shareware registry editor. It works but by using that, it is just ignoring the ongoing problem that my computer is facing, I need to eliminate this problem so it doesnt lead to any further one. Also it was asked if i wasn't using XP. I am using XP and there is a regedit.exe file in my WINDOWS directory, but once i try to open it it tell me it is not a Win32 application or something like that [i dont have my comp with me] but i also have a regedt32.exe file in my system32 directory, this one will just not open, nothing flashes. I will have to reformat.

This si the end of this thread

Thank you for your help,