Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

John The Ripper

0 0

Everytime I download "John The Ripper", I extract it and look for a setup file but everything in it does nothing…It's like the folder is full of useless files. I am hoping someone can give me a push in the right direction. I have tried:

• "John the Ripper 1.7.0.1 (Windows - binaries, ZIP, 1360 KB)"
  • "John the Ripper 1.7.0.2 (Unix - sources, tar.gz, 784 KB) "
  • "John the Ripper 1.7.2 (Unix - sources, tar.gz, 790 KB)"

They all download, but don't run. Any help would be gladly appreciated..

0 0

JTR is a command-line prog. In Windows, you won't see anything "run" if you don't pop open a prompt. In Unix, you might have to make the executables executable with chmod a+x. Other than that, it's really not hard to figure out how to use it if you're getting a real download of JTR… just fool with the files some, and you'll figure it out.

0 0

Theres a tutorial on this site for JTR… read it… It'll help alot… It helped me.

0 0

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

0 0

SsAgEnT wrote: for windows start->run->cmd cd to jtr run folder then use something like: john-386 pass.txt

pass.txt is a file with your hash

for details google or read an article Dont use john-386!!! Use john-mmx instead. Its alot faster :happy:

0 0

Aiight man cheers.

Edit: Ok, got into the run folder but I hit a problem. I copied the hash into a notepad file, saved it as "Pass.txt" into the JTR run folder. I typed "john-mmx pass.txt" hit enter and get the message "No password hashes loaded". Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

0 0

type:

john-mmx -i:all "pass.txt"

the pass.txt file must be:

"user":"hash" (not only the hash)

the "user" you type before is the username which can be anything, admin, user, john, etc.

if the hash is NT LM DES, use:

john-mmx -i:lanman "pass.txt"

This is the bruteforce attack of john the ripper, not the dictionary one.