Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Command Prompt

0 0

why is it when I type ping command in the command prompt it says 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

0 0

yall really can't figure this out??

0 0

well, if you're typing "ping command" in there, it won't work, but "ping" works fine…you must have spelled it wrong or something

0 0

I got that problem too a while back and then it just disapeared after a month or so, I have no idea why it stopped but I'm happy that it did.

0 0

maybe you're not connected to the internet? idk

0 0

Haha :P If the command isn't recogniced by the command promt do you really think that his internt connection is the problem?

0 0

haha no, now that you put it that way.. mmm, maybe re install it?

0 0

maybe the command prompt path is set wrong because it says C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

0 0

Re instal the command promt? :P

Btw, the file could be corrupted so you should try to find a proper cmd to download.

0 0

IceCube wrote: Re instal the command promt? :P haha yeah, I don't know how…maybe try re-installing MS :{ <==moustache

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

There are many issues that can cause that…I know there was a virus/worm/malware that was disabling various troubleshooting tools a couple of months ago (taskmanager/msconfig/command prompt tools/etc). Also, ping.exe may not be on your system for some reason (random accidental deletion…which windows is prone to do :P ). The least likely reason, network troubleshooting/cmd prompt tools can be disabled individually by MS sysadmins if you are working off of a corporate computer or the like.

0 0

ok well where would u download command prompt at?

0 0

I'm a software support agent and I get this alot. Firstly, does other commands work? Try 'ipconfig' and see if that works. If no command works then you have corrupt system files and I would recommend re-installing windows. If it's only the ping command check if your tiping it in correctly 'ping www.google.com' and if you arnt that stupid then download and run something called WinSock. It replaces all bad TCP/IP files that may be bad and just for the sake of doing a good job I would recommend running 'ipconfig /flushdns' and running 'ipconfig /renewall' in CMD. Let me know if this was usefull.

Peace out! :D

0 0

well bardonicus non of that stuff I typed in worked and I can't just reformate everything because i have too many programs that I would have to go back and resinstall isn't there some where, where I can just redownload command prompt?

0 0

well its not just ping that I want to work guys I was just using that as an example the thing is nothing works in my command prompt. Is there any way or or anywhere I can redownload the command prompt with out doing a system recovery and formating the whole hard drive?

0 0

been there done that and quoted it "command prompt" and there are no download links for it.

0 0

One might think that the reference to the path {specify drive}\windows\system32\ might have been removed or altered, thus not finding any commands since the files will not be found since there isn't looked in the right place.

But then again, that is just what one might be thinking.

0 0

wow guys you cant get it hey pal all you gotta do it type

C:\>ping.exe [specification] [host]

all you need to do is put the ping.exe

.::ZTB::.

0 0

Granted you can't FIND ping.exe, use the following, where C:\ can be substituted for the letter of your drive wtih Windows installed:

dir ping.exe /S```

Sample results:

```markupVolume in drive X has no label.
Volume Serial Number is CDEF-0110

Directory of X:&#92;WINDOWS&#92;system32

11/04/2005 14:49 PM            17,920 ping.exe
                     1 File(s)            17,920 bytes

And if that doesn't work, find a copy of "ping.exe" off the net. Simple as that. ;)

0 0

ONCE AGAIN ITS NOT JUST PING SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE IN THE BEGGINING OF THE FORUM, NO COMMAND WILL WORK.

0 0

dude, just goto the system32 directory and look for the commands you need, so if its ping look for ping.exe and everything else u need is like tht with .exe at the end probably, if they aint ther, either get them somehow and put them there! it doenset matter how you get them, just do it, nick em off of a mate, you might be able to extract them from ur install CD without re-installing windows, i dunno, i never done it.

0 0

vince2478 wrote: ONCE AGAIN ITS NOT JUST PING SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE IN THE BEGGINING OF THE FORUM, NO COMMAND WILL WORK.

I fail to see why finding Ping isn't useful. If you find one file, you may very well find the others.

Just a tip, but typing in all Caps discourages users from helping you.

0 0

oh sry i didnt know it wasnt ping i got what your sayin

oh and by the way [who ever just slightly flamed my post below me] ping.exe will work in any directory that your in

0 0

ziggythebear wrote: oh sry i didnt know it wasnt ping i got what your sayin

oh and by the way [who ever just slightly flamed my post below me] ping.exe will work in any directory that your in

If you're referring to my post, I did not say Ping would only work in certain directories. I said (in relation to the OP's problem of missing commands) "If you find one file, you have a very good chance of finding the others."

If you go into %SystemRoot%\System32\ on XP, and rename "ping.exe" to "ping2.exe", and attempt to then call ping from the cmd prompt, it will not work.

0 0

Zekasu wrote: If you go into %SystemRoot%\System32\ on XP, and rename "ping.exe" to "ping2.exe", and attempt to then call ping from the cmd prompt, it will not work.

Well that's quite logical… ^^

0 0

Uber0n wrote: Well that's quite logical… ^^

Hence, the relevancy to the topic. =)

0 0

so your sayin u think I could copy the command prompt file from another computer and put it in mine? and if so what would be the file path to it?

0 0

I figured something good out hopefully but I think I found out the problem I think my command prompt path is set wrong because when I got to start all programs then applications then command prompt I open it up and the path is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner> but I was looking around on my computer and I went to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and there is a program cmd which is the exact same thing and it works perfectly and when I open it up its says C:\WINDOWS\system32> so is there a way I can change the path of C:\Documents and Settings\Owner> on the other one to C:\WINDOWS\system32

0 0

vince2478 wrote: so your sayin u think I could copy the command prompt file from another computer and put it in mine? and if so what would be the file path to it?

No.

Cmd.exe is located in the System32 folder, already. (As you posted)

Your problem (from what I'm speculating) is that one or more of your normal programs (Ex: Ping.exe, Xcopy.exe) are not situated in the correct folder, or one of your system variables aren't set correctly.

0 0

ok maybe the command prompt is not it the right place because i can get the other command prompt to work just fine.