Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Master Boot Record

0 0

Hey y'all,

Ive been trying to get this problem right for quite some time now and I was wondering if you could help me.

Ok so here it is… I bought a external harddrive with some extre cash so that i can put linux on it. But when i put linux (Ubuntu) it gets past the loading screen then just gives me a error. So i thought nah i dont really want lnux. So i got it on another box. How would I format the harddrive to fat32 and take the GRUB loader off my masterboot record. Becuase when i disconnect the external harddrive and i boot up it just gives me a GRUB error so i google the error and it said somthing about the Master Boot Record not being able to find the the source files. I've searched every where for it and got no helpful answer.

Cheers

0 0

if you have linux on another box then just connect it, boot from the working linux then format aggressively, using fdisk or something….. Won't that work?

0 0

Right ok, so you've got windows on your internal hard-drive and linux on the external. is grub installed on the MBR of the internal hard-drive? To re-install the windows bootloader you have to boot from the windows install CD and there should be an bit were it says something like "Windows was already found" and there should be an option to recover it. that shoudl install the windows bootloader. Or you can go to the recovery console and enter "fixmbr".

0 0

Thanks for the help guys… I appreciate it

Cheers

0 0

No problem :p