Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Server question? help plz

0 0

Alright… so my friends dads wife's works business(thats a mouthful) shutdown, and they were getting rid of all of their stuff, and gave her the server that ran the network for the business. It has nothing on it now, and they want to use it as a standalone computer.

my question here is, do i have to do anything completely different to make it a stand alone computer? rather then networked? or do i basically just install any given operating system and all of that good stuff, connect the internet, and have it up and running?

if this isnt clearly stated just ask me to describe it more… im confused about it myself!…. thank you for any responses given.

0 0

Nope, just install an OS and there you go. A server is basicly just a high end computer with running special apps.

0 0

r3drock3t88 wrote: …so my friends dads wife's…

Just had to ask why you didn't just say your friends' mom?

0 0

T-Metal-Risen wrote: [quote]r3drock3t88 wrote: …so my friends dads wife's…

Just had to ask why you didn't just say your friends' mom?[/quote]

you could also say your friends dads mom's son's father's daughter-in-law

0 0

I meant why he took a round-about way of saying it, your way is even longer and even more round-about so.. wtfz0rz?!:vamp::xx::ninja:

0 0

T-Metal-Risen wrote: [quote]r3drock3t88 wrote: …so my friends dads wife's…

Just had to ask why you didn't just say your friends' mom?[/quote]

hahaha actually after i was walking out to go somewhere i was thinking "why didnt i just say stepmom…", then i chuckled a few good chuckles and went about my way…

thank you for the quick response zerophreak, i appreciate it… i knew what a server was… but never knew if there were any special things needed to make it run, thanks again man

0 0

Down and dirty on os for servers…

When you get a brand new server it will have not a damn thing on it… you can install whatever OS you want to it….

Now if you were to make it networked someday… you could go with server 2003 sp1 R2 then use exchange server 2003….

sp1 R2 is in fact more stable now then it was when it was first released a while ago…

I set up two servers two weeks ago and used server 2003 sp1 R2… and then installed exchange…

So as others have said…

when its a blank server it is just a fast PC…

it becomes a server when you install a server os and an exchange server for all of your app services and monitoring services…