Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

2 os on split drive

0 0

i am currently running windows xp, but over summer i want to split my drive and run windows on one half and a form of linux on the other. I got this idea from a resent discusion on HBHzine and am now fascinated by it.

could any one provide me infomation on how to go about doing this? or even direct me to a site were i can learn this.

Neon_Wing

0 0

well theoretically, i wud say to just get a 160 gig or bigger HD, and install windows and linux some how, without installing linux on windows…im not sure how taht works, but when windows starts up, u can hit F8, at least on my dell 2400 win xp pro, and select the OS u want.

0 0

I am near sure there is a program, called partiation or something that spilts your HDD so you can do this, costs though

0 0

I can briefly explain as I have installed ubuntu previously.

When inserting the install CD you go through options which look daunting but as long as you read each one and you know what you want to do it will turn out okay. You need to partition your hdd - on the ubuntu disc it is part of the install, if another disto doesn't give that option then get 'partition magic'.

I recomend you use alot of live CD's first to find the linux for you.

Long live PCLOS!

0 0

If you don't want to go through the risks and hassle of repartitioning a hard drive and actually installing linux, you can get a linux live cd. When I ordered mine they were free of charge. All you have to do is put the cd in your cd drive, set your BIOS to boot from your cd drive and there you go! it doesn't change any of your windows settings, and that way you can see if you like linux before making any permanent changes. I did this before actually installing linux just to make sure it was something I would use.

0 0

i've got ubuntu, but currently i've only ran the live CD. Unfortunatly I have a pitiful 75GB HDD, would that be enough 2 partition? Im also having trouble with it picking up my wlan. (sorry if the post is dodgy, im on my PSP)

• AbSoRb

0 0

Ubuntu wouldnt connect to internet via my wireless card so i now use PCLOS live CD.

Distro's i've used are:- Ubuntu Slax Knoppix PCLOS

Only used Live CD's since I installed ubuntu and regretted it.

AbSoRb - You can also partition your HDD with ANY size. eg windows = 40gb linux = 35gb

0 0

thanx for your help guys. i guess im gonna order myself a live disk after i research the different versions of linux.

0 0

you don't have to order (as in like, buying)… it's open source:

1. Download the CD's I recommend: Fedora Core 5 (great hardware support my desktop) http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/

2. Or ask for them to be shipped: i.e. Ubuntu: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (Don't know if any other distro does this or not)

Know what you want in an OS, and google for it… Also look for Screenshots of the Distro you want.

Hope all works out for your you.

0 0

Personally I think LiveCD's are not designed for use on your computer. They are designed for demo'ing linux and switching a PC that isn't yours to linux temporarily. If you are on your own PC download http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ (funny, this is a liveCD) and partition your hardrive silly. Then you can install all the os's you want, if your hard drive is big enough (apparently FrozenFlame and Hack4u's Harddrives don't support this function :p).