Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

boot up error

0 0

ok heres the story I got an old 2006 Windows XP laptop that I haven't used in like 4 months so when I start it back up you choose like what modes to start up with, here are the modes you

Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode Command Prompt

Start Windows normally

when I choose any of them the start up windows normally but then it goes to this error messsage:

A problem has been detected and Windows is shutting down to prevent damage to your computer

If this is the fist time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, if a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0x86F83562,0xF799F7E4,0xF799F4E0)

Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

it holds that message for about a second then loops back to the safe mode options again. No matter what mode option I choose I get the same result I played around with setup options but no success… I have dealt with this problem before but does not loop back to safe mode. I'm I dealing with a virus don't know what I'm dealing with it's probably a simple problem I'm missing. I'm stumped with this one:whoa:. any ideas?

0 0

Just to give you a hand, the hexadecimal value after "* Stop, " is 0x0000007E, you can look those up.

To find the specific error, in most cases is Google: "value OS version" -> "0x0000007E Windows XP"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

From the looks of it, it points to some form of driver/update/hardware fault.

The only solution may be to try and see what drivers it is loading or see if you can narrow it down from this list

http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop/STOP_0x0000007E_SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.html

Have fun.

Jim,

0 0

format and re-install the OS. Saves the troubleshooting ALL possibilities.

If it still doesn't work its a hardware fault

muh easiness :D

0 0

chompy wrote: format and re-install the OS. Saves the troubleshooting ALL possibilities.

but then you learn nothing. And in my experience with computer repair, formatting is usually much more time consuming than any single problem like a stop error or malware. If it's a train wreck and slow and bloated, that's usually the only time I format.

but what you need to do is pretty much like formatting. Insert install disk, and repair the system files. If you don't have one, just burn an image of XP to a cd. Check the bios boot order, and you're good to go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOQ0sCYY8s

This can be caused by corrupted files - so hibernation, not shutting down properly, bad drivers, bad hard drive, etc. Run error check once you get it working.

10 0

chompy wrote: format and re-install the OS. Saves the troubleshooting ALL possibilities.

Sorry friend but I believe that this is the first thing that an amateur would.

Try this:

1- Use this program to understand the windows error "http://majorgeeks.com/Error_Messages_For_Windows_d1405.html"

2 – Do a full memory test using a linux live-cd.

3- Do a test of surface in HD using chkdsk or norton dd etc. ..

4-Try a manual system recovery! This is a little complex but basically do this: Using live-cd linux look at the files inside the folder "C:\windows\repair" Now look at the files inside the folder "C:\windows\system32\config" understood what should be done? replace the files in the folder ..\config for files on ..\repair folder! But not replace the SAM file! :D

5-Finally… If none of this work, use the live-cd linux and install on your machine! :evil:

Format + reinstall is for losers! ;)

Ph4n70m
0 0

Touché!

However, maug has a good point. You learn nothing from simply re-formatting and re-installing. Have you changed any hardware before you stopped using it at all, or did you recieve any updates from microsoft the last time that you used your laptop?

Finally, from personal experience, whenever i have had a bluescreen it is usually a hardware error even when i haven't touched the hardware. So i'd reccomend checking your RAM, HDD etc and make sure that they're correctly inserted.

0 0

Parker wrote: [quote]chompy wrote: format and re-install the OS. Saves the troubleshooting ALL possibilities.

Touché!

However, maug has a good point. You learn nothing from simply re-formatting and re-installing. Have you changed any hardware before you stopped using it at all, or did you recieve any updates from microsoft the last time that you used your laptop?

Finally, from personal experience, whenever i have had a bluescreen it is usually a hardware error even when i haven't touched the hardware. So i'd reccomend checking your RAM, HDD etc and make sure that they're correctly inserted. [/quote]

Hardware problems would cause a beep code - not a blue screen. This is a file corruption issue. So a corrupt driver for new hardware maybe, but not hardware in general.

0 0

sorry for not getting back to you all, thanks for replying. I will try your answers and get back to you with my results. thank you all for helping (kinda a noob when comes to errors like this, google and your answers are all I have)

thanks again for your help!

Ph4n70m
0 0

maug wrote: Hardware problems would cause a beep code - not a blue screen. This is a file corruption issue. So a corrupt driver for new hardware maybe, but not hardware in general.

Not always, RAM bluescreens can occur when you try and mix your module bus speeds when your motherboard doesn't support it.

It's easily done when someone passes you some RAM and random motherboard, or with those who aren't familiar with hardware.

@nack: No problem! We all have to start somewhere :) Always happy to give advice

-Parker

10 0

maug wrote: [quote]Parker wrote: [quote]chompy wrote: format and re-install the OS. Saves the troubleshooting ALL possibilities.

Touché!

Finally, from personal experience, whenever i have had a bluescreen it is usually a hardware error even when i haven't touched the hardware. So i'd reccomend checking your RAM, HDD etc and make sure that they're correctly inserted. [/quote]

Hardware problems would cause a beep code - not a blue screen. This is a file corruption issue. So a corrupt driver for new hardware maybe, but not hardware in general.[/quote]

Hardware is not so simple dude… At startup "IF" POST "Power-on self-test" detects some "known" error, MOBO responds with a beep for error that was encountered. To make sure that the machine does not have any errors related to hardware leave prime running by the "minimum" 8 hours. www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

(You can believe what I say! I did overclock Pentium-I 166 MHz @ 208mhz) :evil:

If the cause of the problem was something related to driver… He sure could get into safe mode. "The safe mode uses standard drivers, used at first boot of windows"!!!

But I also believe that it can be caused by a corrupted file or corrupt registry… I don't like these microsoft tools… (I think they do not understand much about windows) HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :happy: The way that I showed, manual recovery solves problems of corrupted registry… Corrupted system files give more work… ;)

But the 1st thing to do, is to have "certainty" that is not a hardware problem!

RootsBabilonia…

Ph4n70m
0 0

RootsBabilonia wrote: the 1st thing to do, is to have "certainty" that it is not a hardware problem! RootsBabilonia…

I like that enough to quote it in my sig :D

• Parker

10 0

Thank you very much for the honor of being cited! :happy:

As you like it, I'm sure you feel at home in a hardware lab! :ninja:

Sorry for bad english… Thanks for fix it ;)

Ph4n70m
0 0

RootsBabilonia wrote: Thank you very much for the honor of being cited! :happy:

As you like it, I'm sure you feel at home in a hardware lab! :ninja:

Sorry for bad english… Thanks for fix it ;)

It's fine :D

and i guess you could call my house a lab, it's full of RAM, HDD's and motherboards etc

Anyhow, back on topic!

• Parker

0 0

Yeah, that makes sense with POST. I was talking in rules of thumb. I know it can get more obscure, and it's awesome you guys know about that stuff too. But I'm never going to check RAM first unless I hear a post code, because it's a pain in the ass and it takes time. Just pop in the install disk and gettr dun. Almost everyone I've seen with computer repair who had a blue screen had bad system files. yeah it could be the motherboard, or ram, or the hard drive… but if it is you'll be able to find out later.

Usually the first thing I do when I'm the one working on the computer is put in a live cd and see if it still doesn't work. Generally, most people don't know how to make a live cd/usb, and they have the install cd lying around anyways. So that's why I recommended the other stuff I did. I guess HBH folk could be expected to know how to make one.