Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Ubuntu to Windows XP

0 0

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S360,I had upgraded to windows vista but had problems running it.I then switched to Linux Ubuntu 9.10.wiping out all windows vista.I now have a windows xp CD and want to switch back to windows xp from ubuntu.It is Windows XP Professional.How do I get the cd to work so that I can switch back to windows xp.It is a laptop ,I have no recovery Cd's.Everytime I try to boot up the cd it gives me an error message.

Thanks,

Kenny

0 0

that makes no sense

0 0

I had windows vista home basic on my laptop.I wiped it out completely and replaced it with ubuntu.Now I want to switch back to the original OS,Windows XP,But I dont know how.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

How about you tell us the error message?

0 0

Stealth is right. How can we help without an error message. So far this is most likely PEBKAC. Also, XP doesn't count as the "original" OS. Vista and XP are 2 totally different beasts. And they aren't beauties. :)

0 0

Did you get a recovery disk with the laptop when you bought it? Usually they give you a cd (or cd's) to recover your computer back to the state it was when you bought it. Just in case it gets messed up something.

0 0

If you don't have the disk than you might as well buy a new OS. You could always torrent XP if cash is an issue. My uncle had the same problem, be put Ubuntu back on it and ran a torrented copy of XP via VMware.

0 0

Network X wrote: I have no recovery Cd's.

And he doesn't want Vista again. I don't blame him. Not sire why he is getting rid of Ubuntu though… :(

Ninja Extreme
0 0

techb wrote: If you don't have the disk than you might as well buy a new OS. You could always torrent XP if cash is an issue. My uncle had the same problem, be put Ubuntu back on it and ran a torrented copy of XP via VMware.

That seems a little stupid… If he only wanted Windows XP, then why did he install ubuntu beneath it? That's just going to cause you to be missing out on some ram and processor usage.

fashizzlepop wrote: Also, XP doesn't count as the "original"

He said he originally had upgraded to Vista, which most likely means he was running XP originally :P

Not sire why he is getting rid of Ubuntu though… :(

I don't think any of us are.

0 0

Ah yes. I see. Often I hear people talking about Vista XP and 7 all as if they were the same OS. ;)

Zero Cool
0 0

You could always boot the Ubuntu as a Live CD presuming you had a disk or image available and then once the Live Image is booted up you could use a tool called gparted or Gnome Partition Editor that is within Ubuntu's Menu and delete all of the partitions on the hard drive then create at new NTFS partition making sure to select the check box indicating that you want to format the partition then create and format the partition after which you should in theory be able to re-install a windows OS providing there are no other issues with the disk it's self..(not sure why one would want to do such a thing):( at least that's my .02 on the situation not knowing like the rest of us the specific error received.