Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Newly Built Computer, Disk Boot error

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Hello, i have recently built a new computer, and i am having a bit of a problem, Ive wired everything up and everything seems to power on fine, however i am soon presented with this Message: "Boot From CD/DVD: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." I have tried changing around the boot order, and booted it from a disk of Windows 7, However i am still presented with this message.

Every part of my built computer is brand new, except the Disk Drive, which is over 10 years old, and IDE, Is it simply that i need a new Drive? On the BIOS the HDD is detected, but i think the problem may be the Drives, any input would be appreciated. Im really sorry if i sound like a newb here, i have done a lot of research into this but cant quite figure it out. Thanks.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Well because its relatively old, i have a seperate DVD and CD drive for it, Ive tried it in both of these drives, with no luck, And yes it detects it.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Well i have changed it around several times to boot from both the HDD and CD/DVD Drive, yet no luck on any boot order, Ahh yes sorry i didnt want to bore people with loads of info, Ill probably repost tomorrow If my new drive doesnt work as well. Thanks.

Admin from hell
0 0

First thing I suggest is to check your jumper settings on all your drives. You stated you have a cd and dvd drive, Make sure one is set to master and the other to slave and on the HDD if it's set to master change it to cable select if it's an old drive. If not post back with hardware specs.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Do you have any other bootable disks to try? Such as a XP CD around or a linux liveCD? That would rule at least one thing out.

0 0

make sure you're booting form the IDE device. It's possible such a new mobo might have this disabled by default. Post the mobo's name. Also have a look around in BIOS. Have you installed windows to the drive? If so at least the bios doesn't have the IDE interface disabled. Still it may have a diferent option for IDE and SATA in the boot order.

0 0

Maybe it is the disk itself causing the problem, double check the BIOS settings and that the disk drive is plugged in properly. Also check that the disk drive is compatible with your system.

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Ive checked all the BIOS settings and they seem to be fine, all my components are brand new except the CD and DVD drive which are both around 10 years old… which i fear is the problem, I'll list the specs at the end of this reply, The master and slave seem to be set correct and the mobo is detecting all of these drives, I've changed the boot orders around but still had no luck, I havnt tried any other boot disks with this system but i will do later, ill try it with Linux and post back, however i have tried this disc with another computer, and then booted from disc and it loads fine…. Is it likely that the CD/DVD drive's is old and i need a new one?

SPECS : MOBO - GIGABYTE G31M-ES2L CPU - Intel core 2 Quad q8300 Graphics - Intel GMA 3100 ( Yes awful i know but this is just until i upgrade which will be very soon ) RAM - Kingston hyper X 1GB PSU - Antet Earthwatts 650W Cooling - Intel CPU fan and two case fans HDD - Western Digital 500GB 16MB Cache Optical Drives - mitsumi cr-488xate (CD Drive) and an ide dvd-rom 16x driver (DVD Drive)

Note: I have literally very recently built this computer, So i have the basic parts now, but plan on many upgrades in the future (New SATA Disk drive should be arriving today)

The Krazy Bastard
0 0

Just thought i'd let you all know that it was in fact my old optical drives causing the problems, Thanks very much for your support…. might post some pics of it when ive got everything sorted.

Retired
10 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]TROY wrote: Thanks very much for your support…. might post some pics of it when ive got everything sorted.

… Okay… I hope there are flashy LEDs.[/quote]

Or a fishtank in it…

Ninja Extreme
0 0

MoshBat wrote: That's fucking disgusting.

The fact that someone actually bought a purple and green computer, or that there is a fish tank inside?

Admin from hell
0 0

stealth- wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: That's fucking disgusting.

The fact that someone actually bought a purple and green computer, or that there is a fish tank inside?[/quote]

Yes, to both.

0 0

the error said it booted from the cd/dvd drive and failed. If it doesn't look fixable, then I would set the cd/dvd drive to boot after the hard drive in the bios for now. It could just be a bad cable. make sure there isn't a cd in there.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

yours31f wrote: Or a fishtank in it…

I wonder how you feed them and filter the water…

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]ynori7 wrote: [quote]yours31f wrote: Or a fishtank in it…

I wonder how you feed them and filter the water…[/quote] Well, you have a filter stuck in there, and an air pump. There will be a gap in which you shove food. Never had a fishtank before?[/quote] Not sealed inside a computer case.

0 0

and how do we take it out to clean it?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: the error said it booted from the cd/dvd drive and failed. If it doesn't look fixable, then I would set the cd/dvd drive to boot after the hard drive in the bios for now. It could just be a bad cable. make sure there isn't a cd in there. You haven't read this thread, have you?[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know the thread was about a fuckin fish tank. Oh lord, we're in dark times. We need those computer techs to see that we got happy fish too.

I think the only part I missed was that he's trying to install the OS still. It's easy to imagine a cable going bad after 10 years (assuming he's using the same cables that came with the drive). Whether it's the cable or the drive, it should be an easy, cheap fix.

If you want to make sure it's a hardware problem, and not the cd, then put in a linux live cd. I always like to have an ubuntu or mandriva live cd around just for that reason.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: the error said it booted from the cd/dvd drive and failed. If it doesn't look fixable, then I would set the cd/dvd drive to boot after the hard drive in the bios for now. It could just be a bad cable. make sure there isn't a cd in there. You haven't read this thread, have you?[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know the thread was about a fuckin fish tank. Oh lord, we're in dark times. We need those computer techs to see that we got happy fish too. I think the only part I missed was that he's trying to install the OS still. [/quote]

TROY wrote: Just thought i'd let you all know that it was in fact my old optical drives causing the problems, Thanks very much for your support…. might post some pics of it when ive got everything sorted.

But, by all means, keep suggesting causes and fixes. I'm sure it will help him, very much.[/quote]

by all means be an over-bearing douche bag.

And it still could be the cable, disk, or drive.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

maug wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: the error said it booted from the cd/dvd drive and failed. If it doesn't look fixable, then I would set the cd/dvd drive to boot after the hard drive in the bios for now. It could just be a bad cable. make sure there isn't a cd in there. You haven't read this thread, have you?[/quote]

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know the thread was about a fuckin fish tank. Oh lord, we're in dark times. We need those computer techs to see that we got happy fish too. I think the only part I missed was that he's trying to install the OS still. [/quote]

TROY wrote: Just thought i'd let you all know that it was in fact my old optical drives causing the problems, Thanks very much for your support…. might post some pics of it when ive got everything sorted.

But, by all means, keep suggesting causes and fixes. I'm sure it will help him, very much.[/quote]

And it still could be the cable, disk, or drive.[/quote]

He wasn't being a douchebag. You came in and supplied a useless post, and then while trying to defend yourself you suggested something I had already recommended, and on top of that you still had no clue the problem had already been solved. Try reading the whole thread, not just the chunks of it you think apply to what you feel like talking about.

0 0

stealth- wrote: [quote]maug wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]maug wrote: the error said it booted from the cd/dvd drive and failed. If it doesn't look fixable, then I would set the cd/dvd drive to boot after the hard drive in the bios for now. It could just be a bad cable. make sure there isn't a cd in there. You haven't read this thread, have you?[/quote]

And it still could be the cable, disk, or drive.[/quote]

He wasn't being a douchebag. You came in and supplied a useless post, and then while trying to defend yourself you suggested something I had already recommended, and on top of that you still had no clue the problem had already been solved. Try reading the whole thread, not just the chunks of it you think apply to what you feel like talking about.[/quote]

Sorry, it's just the thread was a little de-railed. And honestly, when someone tells me "Read the whole thread and then you'll understand", I think of a bad political rant where someone writes 3 pages of blather and says "You didn't read my whole post did you. If you did you'd understand my stance on that issue." If you got something to say, you should be able to say it simply. Not spit out a spaghetti glomp or try to educate people. Beautiful thread HBH.

lock?

Admin from hell
0 0

Enough Shit guy's, The OP has already solved his problem. Locked :@