Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Need A Little Help; RAM Problem or No?

0 0

Okay, so I've had my computer for a little over 2 years now. It's nothing fancy. It's an eMachines T2682. Here are the specs:

P4 2.6GHz 1GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2 160GB HDD

Well, over the past several months (probably about 5-6 months), I've noticed a decline in performance. I've also noticed random "Explorer" crashes, as well as slow-downs when shutting down applications (random; not every time), and so on.

When Windows Explorer crashes it's an error reading memory. The address varies. I just looked in the Event Viewer, and this was one of them:

0x000106c3

Another one was:

0x00000000

There are a few more. But the address isn't consistent. I have MySpace IM, and it has also crashed randomly on me. The same goes for other applications such as Valve Steam.

This doesn't happen at any particular time, or because of a certain action. I can leave my computer for a couple hours and come back, open Firefox, and 10 minutes later Explorer crashes.

I've run a defrag, and it completed without problems. I've downloaded MemTest (the free version), and it didn't find anything.

Could this be a RAM problem? Or is something on my system causing this?

If you need anymore information let me know. Sorry if I forgot any important info! =)

Banned
0 0

Try installing a Linux distro and see if that crashes randomly.

(also, or NOT, or fucking NOT)

0 0

Okay, I don't think this is right. I just downloaded SpeedFan out of curiosity. I used to have it on my old computer, and I saw it in another post so I figured I'd go ahead and get it again.

Here are my readings (farenheit):

GPU: 32° Ambient: 129° Remote 1: 122° Remote 2: 131° HD0: 108°

Ambient, Remote 1, and Remote 2 have a flame next to them which means "high", correct? HD0 has a checkmark next to it, so it's good to go.

Fan1: 0 RPM Fan2: 0 RPM

What the hell?

Remote 1 just dropped to 118° and now has a checkmark next to it. Last time I checked (and from what I can hear), the fans are running.

Banned
0 0

Open your case and dust the parts off, also try to move the cabling in favor of better airflow.

0 0

Will do, thanks. I will have to do it later tonight. But could that possibly cause crashes, slowdowns, etc.?

Banned
0 0

binary_10essee wrote: Will do, thanks. I will have to do it later tonight. But could that possibly cause crashes, slowdowns, etc.?

Heat issues? Yeah.

0 0

binary_10essee wrote: Will do, thanks. I will have to do it later tonight. But could that possibly cause crashes, slowdowns, etc.?

dude… Take apart your CPU cooler, change the thermal grease and reinstall the cooler, and try to create some better airflow by removing the cables from around the components.

Edit: and check in case all the fans you've got are working as they should.

//D.H.

0 0

Just think of when you've got the fever. You don't work that well then. Same thing with a computer when it gets to warm.

0 0

Okay, I opened up the case and used a can of compressed air to blow it all out. The CPU fan/heatsink were clogged with dust. The PS fan in the back of the computer was pretty filthy, too.

Since I started it back up the temperatures seem to be at a consistently normal level. The fan speeds still don't show, but they're running. That's no big deal. I've seen a few computers run SpeedFan and it doesn't read the fan speeds.

I haven't encountered any crashes/slowdowns yet. If I do, I have some applications that my dad brought home from work. PC Doc. and Eurosoft I think he said they're called. I'll run them if I have anymore problems. I was looking to upgrade my RAM soon anyhow, so if that's the problem I don't really care. =)

Thanks.

0 0

Okay, that didn't seem to fix everything. Since I cleaned everything out I haven't seen any random crashes. But I am still having problems with slowdowns/freezes.

I used a bootable CD that contains several diagnostic tools. The tools test CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Cache, Video Card (Video Modes, Memory, etc.), HDD Read/Write, and so much more. I ran EVERY test today.

My computer still slows WAY down for several seconds when I close some applications (at times it won't do it, but it does more so than not). I've also noticed that when a Flash object is present on a page my computer tends to go EXTREMELY slow. It will be that way for a minute or two, then return to normal. Some Flash games are slow as hell for the entire time I attempt to play them, and the entire computer is slow until I leave the game.

What else should I check? I've defragged, run all kinds of scans, uninstalled applications I no longer use, deleted files I don't need, and so on. I've cleaned up about 7GB of unused files/applications and defragged since then.

0 0
  1. Backup important files
  2. Format C:
  3. Reinstall Windows

OR install Linux

0 0

binary_10essee wrote: Since I started it back up the temperatures seem to be at a consistently normal level. The fan speeds still don't show, but they're running. That's no big deal. I've seen a few computers run SpeedFan and it doesn't read the fan speeds.

wanted to add my 2 cents just as an FYI, a lot of the extra fans will not be read by programs because the fans are plugged into just regular power outputs on the power supply. For the bios to read the fan speeds (and be passed along to any monitoring program), the fans need to be powered by the motherboard and most motherboards support the CPU fan, and a couple aux fans (some even have a place to plug in your power supply fan) so everything can be monitored and kept as quiet as needed, then as it heats up, the bios (or a third party program) will raise the fan speed.

This keeps the computer as quiet as it can without letting it heat up to much usually.

Whenever I start having heat issues (which doesn't happen to often because I've been OCD about it) I take the case apart and clean everywhere and take out fans etc.

I would have to agree with nemesis, backup, re-image with windows (or Linux if you have the experience, if not, why not start ? :D)

When Windows Explorer crashes it's an error reading memory. The address varies. I just looked in the Event Viewer, and this was one of them:

0x000106c3

Another one was:

0x00000000

This also worries me, sounds like RAM issues.

Admin from hell
0 0

As far as fans go it's better to have them run directly off the power supply, That way they run at full speed all the time keeping things cool. You do not want the bios controlling fans, Only kicking them up when things get to a certain temp. More heat more damage. Besides if you have full tower cases like mine, They sound cool when there running. Just make sure you have temp monitoring on the cpu, mobo, graphics card and hard drives, Via probes or programs.

As far as the Op with his problems, The errors you listed should have more info to them, Look at them this is probably just a corrupt file. I suggest you run chkdsk via your C:drive tools first then run sfc /scannow with the windows disk if that doesn't help. Do not reload windows if it can be fixed easily.

Edit: Fucking smileys

0 0

Okay, I'll run a chkdsk in a few minutes. I didn't think of that (obviously =P). Since I cleaned out the inside of the computer with a can of compressed air everything seems to be okay for the most part. Explorer has crashed once, but instead of giving me an access violation it gave me the standard crash window. It had the "Don't Send" button, "Debug" button, etc.

But here's another problem. When I load a web page with a Flash animation (or a few of them) my computer runs really slow. What could cause this? I'll see if chkdsk fixes that, but I can't be sure. Any ideas?

0 0

Okay, I believe I've found and fixed the problem. My graphics card, a GeForce FX 5200, was bad. I took it out today because I was going to place it in another PCI slot, as it seemed to be overheating.

Well, it WAS overheating because it was directly above my sound card. The fan was a fraction of an inch away from it. BUT on top of that, a capacitor had blown as well. So it was causing poor graphical performance and system slowdowns and lock-ups.

Luckily I had a GeForce 8400 GS lying around. I originally purchased it to upgrade from my FX 5200, but it started to freeze, display artifacts, and so on as well. I looked at it to make sure nothing had bee burnt or blown, and it was fine. I put it back in today, with more than enough room to stay cool, and it's performing just fine.