Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Interesting situation with nmap scanner on my box

0 0

I have this really interesting situation on my computer but first let me tell you what software I'm using on my box. I'm running Windows XP Pro version 2002 service pack 2, I have AVG 8 free edition instaled and my firewall is standard firewall that comes with windoze and I use HUAWEI E169 USB stick modem to connect to the internet. Now, let me tell something about this situation. When I connect to the Internet and run nmap scan I get results that are not nothing. Down on the picture is an example of simple ping scan.

This is the first situation. The second situation is as follows. When I connect to the net and mask my IP address with Hotspot Shield and run nmap scan I got results that like on something. Down on the picture is a same ping scan but when HotSpot shiled is lunch.

I know that this is just a simple ping scan but this worth for the more complex scans: when HotSpot Shield is down scan results are big shit but when HotSpot is on nmap scans can discover open,closed port, services and software running on them, etc. Interesting problem, isn't it? I tried with reinstalation of nmap and winpcap but the issue still occurs. Or my ISP don't allow this scans or my modem make some problems. Don't know, I'm in big dillema, can I trust to this results? This problem is present when I use command line version of nmap. If someone had deal with same problem and knows how to solve it, please help me. And those who have an indication of his resolve, please contact me because I really want to resolve it and remove from my computer! Any advice is welcome!

Sorry for the grammar errors, English is not my native language! With respect, antareus

0 0

Try difference ommands.

nmap -PN IP-ADDRESS might get you some result. try a combination of commands to get the results you wish. I'm pretty sure nmap is capable of scanning through most of the blocks in case you use it right!

use: http://nmap.org/book/man-briefoptions.html

0 0

Well I used many commands and many types of scanning but the problem isn't that I don't get the results, I got it but only, I repeat ONLY when I activate HotSpot Shield and mask my IP. Every scans that were made without masking IP adress it returned results host seems down and that is worth for more complex scan. I don't know what is caused this situation. Is it my modem, is it problem in my windows os or my ISP don't allowed this scans but I don't think the problem is in my ISP because I used nmap for a while and I don't recive any warning message from ISP about that activity. Well, this is really interesting, isn't it?

Banned
0 0

Try to figure out if your outbound packets get mangled by your modem.

0 0

Well I think that is a problem with modem because my friend have adsl router and he can make scans without masking his IP. So what you suggest me to do? Is there any test to figure out if outbound packets get mangled by my modem. I don't want yout to do complete solution for me but I need some hint to do that by myself because I want to learn something from this situation.

Banned
0 0

antareus wrote: Well I think that is a problem with modem because my friend have adsl router and he can make scans without masking his IP. So what you suggest me to do? Is there any test to figure out if outbound packets get mangled by my modem. I don't want yout to do complete solution for me but I need some hint to do that by myself because I want to learn something from this situation.

Look through the modem configuration and see if there's anything about a firewall, or outbound traffic.