Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

avp virus? not sure

0 0

i dont have much information, but im not sure whether this is a virus and am wondering if anyone has any idea. i have blue shield antivirus. its got a process avp.exe. theres two running on my brothers machine and i havent checked the other few here that have the program. but mine will occasionally have three. theres an extra one running on system. my cpu is always at 100% when the third avp is running. i looked at it in process explorer and the results confused me. process explorer told me it was from blue shield and i had killed blue shield. procexp confused me with a couple other things, but i dont remember what it was and can't figure out cause my dad told my brother to shut down the comp while i was at school and the third process is not currently running.

i havent done much else. too much hw. i was thinking maybe the avp from blue shield was run and then code was injected in (correct me if this is just stupid). i use run as admin a lot since im only supposed to have a limited account and im assuming thats why (if its a virus), its running under system privileges. i thought about using win32 debugger and checking if its the same process as the other two. (can i debug certain processes, never used it before)?

in any case, this is getting kinda long so ill stop going on. anyone know if it might be a virus, or how i can check if it is?

Banned
0 0

avp.exe is a Kaspersky anti-virus module, part of the Kaspersky suite.

0 0

spyware wrote: avp.exe is a Kaspersky anti-virus module, part of the Kaspersky suite.

i know, but i checked and i dont have kaspersky. theres a process in the blue shield directory called avp so im thinking its a generic antivirus thing. but its using 100% even when i kill the damn antivirus

EDIT: theres a program registered as a trojan/virus on processlibrary.com called avp.exe with a security risk of 4/5

0 0

Well if it is a virus and you can't get rid of it with your blue shield bullshit, then get a new AV program and uninstall blue shield.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Well if it is a virus and you can't get rid of it with your blue shield bullshit, then get a new AV program and uninstall blue shield.

my dad bought it and installed it. he says hell ban me from the computer if i install any programs. im not interested in getting a new AV.

0 0

sounds like it's about time you bought a cheep computer. I mean, if you can't even install programs… Personally, I was thinking of getting an eee pc (or something similar).

If your dad is basically running the computers in your house, then it's something you'll probably want to do anyways.

Admin from hell
0 0

The reason you see 3 instances of the avp.exe is because they all have a separate role. Every A/V program has a start-up exe, an active exe , an update exe and a scan exe. The reason your cpu jumps to 100% is probably caused by a scan in progress, Check your settings to see if you have a scheduled scan checked.

0 0

maug wrote: If your dad is basically running the computers in your house, then it's something you'll probably want to do anyways.

ill be going to college soon. hes gonna buy me a laptop.

korg wrote: The reason you see 3 instances of the avp.exe is because they all have a separate role. Every A/V program has a start-up exe, an active exe , an update exe and a scan exe. The reason your cpu jumps to 100% is probably caused by a scan in progress, Check your settings to see if you have a scheduled scan checked.

thanks. ill take your word for it. i dont know why it scans so much, but the process hasn't shown up since i originally posted, so i'll leave it alone.

Admin from hell
0 0

Like I said check your settings in scheduled scans, It may be set to do full system scan everyday, Which is stupid, I set all mine to manual and scan them once a week or so.

0 0

it scans startup objects at application startup and updates automatically. i scan files every once in a while. i dont know if my dad does, but i never run full scans.