Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Weird problem writing an ISO to a disk

0 0

WARNING: Hugeee post…

I'm trying to write the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop ISO to a CD-R disk.

I originally downloaded the ISO from the mirror option: MIT-Software Library. I downloaded it with the regular Firefox download manager. It downloaded fine, and relatively fast. I did NOT verify the ISO with any software, so it is possible it could have gotten corrupted somehow, but not likely and I'll tell you why in a minute.

But anyways. I tried writing to my Sony CD-R disk with Power2Go. It failed at around 97%.

I tried again. Failed at 97%

I checked for driver updates on my hardware, and none were available. But I have made music CD mixes for my car many times in the past so it wouldn't be the hardware in the first place

Tried simply cutting and pasting the ISO to the disk to see if it was the disk itself that's messed up. Failed at 97%

Thinking it was the shitty software, I used my amazing Ashampoo Burning Studio 8 software, as WELL as re downloading it to a new location from a different mirror. Downloaded fine. Started to burn it again… failed at 97%

After being pissed that I had about 3-4 useless, unusable CD's. I stopped.

Conclusion so far:

I have made working CD's from the hardware before, so the chances of it being my actual CD writer is very unlikely.

Ashampoo is one of the best burning software pieces you can get right now, and was given to me by my adult friend who is the best hacker I've ever met or heard of. [No joke, I won't even email him because he'd be able to screw me over hard if he wanted to… not that he would] So my software is solid, and is also probably not why my burning is unsuccessful.

I downloaded the Ubuntu ISO from the official website from 2 different mirrors, in two different locations on my computer while deleting the previously, possibly broken downloaded version. Still a 97% burning error.

Possibly my Sony CD-R disks? They have enough room on them to hold the ISO…

What I am asking YOU guys: Am I missing something big? What am I doing wrong? :(

I would love all the help I could get. Sorry for the big post.

Banned
0 0

Verify hardware before you do anything else. Try burning something else.

0 0

Alright. I will do that right now, and then edit this post with the outcome. Hold on.

Edit:

Okay. I re-made myself a DBAN disk from an ISO and it created it perfectly without problems. [Note: Used Ashampoo, and the same Sony CD-R's]

Now that only confuses me more. :/

0 0

I'd guess it's the ISO. Try downloading it again,maybe even from a different source or even a different version. Tell us if that works. Also make sure the size of the ISO isn't too big for you CD-R's.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: I'd guess it's the ISO. Try downloading it again,maybe even from a different source or even a different version. Tell us if that works. Also make sure the size of the ISO isn't too big for you CD-R's.

Alright. I am downloading Ubuntu 8.04 right now instead and will see if it will burn.

Edit:

I re-downloaded the ISO, then I opened all permissions for the file. I put it on a DVD-R instead, and set the write speed for 12x instead of 16x for safe measures.

Worked perfectly. Thanks to everyone who helped me!