Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Hard Drive Problems

0 0

I have a Dell Precision WorkStation 530. One 20 gig hard drive is hooked up using SCSI. I am trying to add a second Hard Drive, an IDE/EIDE. But I can't get it to show up in BIOS or on XP. I tried 5 different hard drives that had all worked in the past.

I tested the power connector with a multi-meter. I got the 12v 5v and two grounds. Plus I can hear the drives turning on. Ok, on the other IDE controller there are two CD drives that work good. So I used the cable that they were on and the other IDE controller they were on and still nothing. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the SCSI drive.

Also when I hook up one of the hard drives. Instead of just not reading it. It comes up something like. "Seek failure IDE 0" I'm assuming that drive is actually bad. But how would the IDE controller know? If it's not working right?

I also checked jumper position on the ones that have diagrams on the hardrive covers and made sure they were set properly. And in the bios the controllers are set to auto detect. But still no IDE hard drive will show up.

Any ideas, help, thankyou in advance.

Admin from hell
0 0

Problem is you have a DELL. You must be hooking up your h/d on the secondary ide. You can't use the secondary for a h/d on that board. Switch your h/d to the primary and put your cd drives on the secondary and it should work fine. If not post back.