Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

issue with trojan

0 0

Maybe I'm just paranoid with keeping my computer clean, but whenever I get a trojan or virus I instantly nuke my computer with a PRNG [pseudo-random number generator] Stream nuke off my personal DBAN nuking disk. I run about 15-20 passes of that nuking method, then fill my hard drive with 0's. I then reinstall Windows.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I (and you) should never trust a computer with personal/private information such as credit card #'s if it's ever had a Trojan or Virus on it. Mainly because they usually invite little friends such as key loggers and the annoying bunch that will stay hidden during the initial sweep.

So my paranoia response would be to nuke the thing and reinstall Windows or even Linux to it.. just for fun.

If you're not too hot with computers, try seeing if a friend could do it for you! Good luck.

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to include (to anybody who even cares), I used the Mersenne twister method. I find it to be very efficient!

Banned
0 0

undead18 wrote: Maybe I'm just paranoid with keeping my computer clean, but whenever I get a trojan or virus I instantly nuke my computer with a PRNG [pseudo-random number generator] Stream nuke off my personal DBAN nuking disk. I run about 15-20 passes of that nuking method, then fill my hard drive with 0's. I then reinstall Windows.

Cost vs. effectiveness graph would like to have a word with you.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]undead18 wrote: Maybe I'm just paranoid with keeping my computer clean, but whenever I get a trojan or virus I instantly nuke my computer with a PRNG [pseudo-random number generator] Stream nuke off my personal DBAN nuking disk. I run about 15-20 passes of that nuking method, then fill my hard drive with 0's. I then reinstall Windows.

Cost vs. effectiveness graph would like to have a word with you.[/quote] lol. I do suppose that could be expensive. I have all the versions of XP on a single disk. So I just reinstall whatever version I had and reuse the same key located on the sticker.. somewhere on the back.

:/

Banned
0 0

**undead18 wrote:**lol. I do suppose that could be expensive. I have all the versions of XP on a single disk. So I just reinstall whatever version I had and reuse the same key located on the sticker.. somewhere on the back.

I'm not talking (just) about money.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]**undead18 wrote:**lol. I do suppose that could be expensive. I have all the versions of XP on a single disk. So I just reinstall whatever version I had and reuse the same key located on the sticker.. somewhere on the back.

I'm not talking (just) about money.[/quote]

Then explain what you (are) talking about so I don't need to make a new post just to ask.

:(
80 120

I'd assume he's talking about data. Unless you wipe your computer waaay too often, you'd be losing all your hard work. Data, music, files, information, time… all gone. I've reformatted my computer once and it was a real pain to get back up to how it used to be. Or I could be completely wrong, but that's how I see it.

0 0

Futility wrote: I'd assume he's talking about data. Unless you wipe your computer waaay too often, you'd be losing all your hard work. Data, music, files, information, time… all gone. I've reformatted my computer once and it was a real pain to get back up to how it used to be. Or I could be completely wrong, but that's how I see it.

Oh see now that makes sense. I keep about 3 active computers up at a single time. One of them, my main, has only been erased a few times. Only because I got caught hacking about a year ago and was worried the police might check my computers. My main computer had thousands of dollars worth of cracked and major stolen software. I nuked it, and waved goodbye to years of work.

So I guess once you lose everything, nothing really seems that sacred anymore.

But I do understand what you guys are saying.

0 1

there's this really fascinating thing people call backups. Ever heard of them?

Banned
0 0

A full wipe should always be your last resort. A full reinstall is not only time-consuming, it's also unnecessary. Cleaning is 1) faster, 2) cheaper and 3) more manageable. Especially in the long runs full installs are a pain in the ass. Don't do it unless you absolutely have to.

Banned
0 0

Off-topic: Spy, you're more "open" now! You seem to be posting more lately, you've put your location, and seem.. different… :ninja:

Back on topic: Just use all available anti-virus scanners. Kaspersky is really good btw.

Satan > God
0 0

hellboundhackersok wrote: Off-topic: Spy, you're more "open" now! You seem to be posting more lately, you've put your location, and seem.. different… :ninja:

Back on topic: Just use all available anti-virus scanners. Kaspersky is really good btw.

Maybe he has realised he needs to buck up to stand a chance at promotion… ;) (Still noticing new warn points appear to his name though)

Anyway, I give a big second shout to AVG, never lead me wrong. :)

(And yes I know Lemur said AVG to, I'm not blind.)

0 0

undead18 wrote: Maybe I'm just paranoid with keeping my computer clean, but whenever I get a trojan or virus I instantly nuke my computer with a PRNG [pseudo-random number generator] Stream nuke off my personal DBAN nuking disk. I run about 15-20 passes of that nuking method, then fill my hard drive with 0's. I then reinstall Windows. spyware wrote: Cost vs. effectiveness graph would like to have a word with you.

1. It's irrational to wipe and reinstall after every virus you catch. If you're that worried about it, do your "dangerous" work in an XP virtual machine, then revert to a snapshot as needed.
  2. DoD standards specify 7 passes of 1s and 0s. Since you should do a bit more (because that DoD standard actually allows some traces of data to remain) and since you're already using a PRNG instead of alternating writes of 1s and 0s, you really need no more than 10 passes.

I use DBAN religiously as well… as needed.

hellboundhackersok wrote: Off-topic: Spy, you're more "open" now! You seem to be posting more lately, you've put your location, and seem.. different… :ninja: K3174N 420 wrote: Maybe he has realised he needs to buck up to stand a chance at promotion… ;)

You… really have no idea. Definitely not for that reason, though.

I've already posted in here about my favorite AV programs, I'm sure, so that's all I have for now.

0 0

@Zephyr: Yeah. I'm sure I do only need 10. In fact, even 7 passes would constitute as "high security" according to DBAN.

It's in general an OCD thing. I'm sure a thorough cleaning would be more than enough. I'll try to curve my old habits away from the nuking process. Just need to find some good AV that works for my main computer, since it's a 64 bit and harder/more expensive to find a good program.

Anyways, not to keep ranting about my situation; I always suggest Ad-Aware, personally. I have Ad-Aware Plus and it's caught everything. I guess everyone has their own experiences with their own tested AV.