Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

2 cpus on board

0 0

hi, i'm not too experience in computer hardware and i want to ask is it possible to have 2 cpus on board Foxconn 865A01-PE-6LS

0 0

The only way you can put 2 CPUs on a board is if there are two slots on the board.

0 0

i don't think there is 2 slots, maybe under cooler, but i don't think so….but windows xp and linux(gentoo) found there 2 cpus (2 Intel P4 2.4 GHz), how is it possible?

0 0

A dual-core processor shows up as 2 CPUs… just as a quad-core processor will show up as 4 CPUs. All a CPU is is a large block with pins that contains a tiny core in the middle of the CPU. Each core is 1 CPU to an OS.

<OT>Glad you're using Gentoo… it's a great distro to learn with.</OT>

0 0

i don't think there is dual core, because i don't think Intel Pentium 4 can be dual core or am i wrong?

0 0

If it's a "Pentium D", it has two cores… the "D" is short for "dual". To clarify, a Pentium D is a Pentium 4 with 2 cores.

0 0

ok i'm not too expreienced in computers i'm just learning i send there dmesg from gentoo, and if can please look at it and tell me what is it, if it is 2 cpus, or dual core or something else http://uploaded.to/?id=oqofjo thanks

0 0

I'm not downloading that. Just Google the line in your dmesg that you're concerned with the meaning of… others that have seen the same will make mention of the CPU.

Admin from hell
0 0

I looked at your dmesg for fun. First off that Foxconn mobo you have is an old Socket 478, You probably have a 478 Intel Core 2 Duo. Which is why is shows up as 2 cpu's. If you want to see a real mobo that can take 2 cpu's, Look at the Asus L1n64-sli ws for the AMD Fx-74's. I have that set-up on one of my boxes.

0 0

Do you have a p4 with Hyper-Threading (HT)? That will show up as 2 in task man. and the like.

0 0

A hyperthreaded CPU is only running a single core… there's no reason why it should show up as more than one.

0 0

yea i know they are. but don't they show up as 2 logical cores or something? i swear my xp task manager would show 2 under performance and that some utilities would show 2. i don't know if that means anything with linux tho. i still bet it has hyper threading. :)

0 0

No.

0 0

no what? my money is still on the hyperthreading. have you ever used it? that/this is how it behaves. i'd like to hear from the OP if he can figure it out. cat /proc/cpuinfo and look for the flag ht. this is my answer unless i can be proven wrong(or its a P4D). :p

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=2

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-htl/

http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/23/linux-tips-how-to-find-out-if-a-your-cpu-supports-ht-hyper-threading/

"If you still see only one CPU even after you have installed a HT enabled kernel, then you might want to check:

* HT is not disabled in BIOS.
* APCI is enabled in BIOS.    &quot;

0 0

I have used it and I understand how it works. I just never went looking for the number of CPUs that I had BECAUSE I know how it works. Apparently, this is a case where I can't just expect software to treat the hardware as it actually is. Thank you for doing the research and standing by your statement.

Admin from hell
0 0

Hyperthreading will show up as 2 cpu's if it is enabled but the OP's question was can he have "2" cpu's on that mobo. That was already answered.

0 0

from dmesg CPU: L2 cache: 512K CPU0: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (12) available CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz stepping 09

CPU: L2 cache: 512K CPU1: Intel P4/Xeon Extended MCE MSRs (12) available CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz stepping 09

Total of 2 processors activated (9587.01 BogoMIPS).

Dual Core shows up as Dual Core in dmesg, this is indeed a Pentium 4 with HyperThreading.

HT indeed shows up as two processors and i don't think Intel had in mind that they were supposed to release a Physical Dual Core so they made it simple for themself instead. Them lazy bastards! :happy:

0 0

'nuff said I believe.

OP's question was answered long time ago.

0 0

ok so if it is Intel P4 with HT, in make.conf it will be MAKE_OPTS="-j2" or MAKE_OPTS="-j3" i know that evrey processors/cores adds 1, but what with HT? it have to be -j2 or -j3? thanks

0 0

As a general rule, setting MAKE_OPTS for a number of cores less than what you actually have is a safe bet and will not hurt anything; it just wouldn't be taking advantage of the processor's full potential. That's just a note for anyone who is concerned about getting failsafe functionality before "testing".

Apparently, HT CPUs are treated as having 2 cores in that respect, too… so, go with the "-j3". Supporting link: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2237665.html?sid=a4a657ca967b5bcc3704bd671118f7aa