Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Problem with Windows Registry

0 0

Hi

I need some help. Is there a possibility to copy the windows registry under Linux. Because a Pc on which is running Windows broke down, I could only start with a Live CD and I need the Registry. So is there perhaps some programm to copy it ?

Thanks NoPax

0 0

NoPax wrote: Is there a possibility to copy the windows registry under Linux. Because a Pc on which is running Windows broke down, I could only start with a Live CD and I need the Registry. So is there perhaps some programm to copy it ?

Yes, there is the possibility. What version of Windows are you running? The registry typically uses a number of files that are different depending upon your version.

For that matter, what do you need the Registry for?

0 0

Try using BartPE. That should let you export the registry to a file that you can edit easily. Although, if the registry is so badly fucked that the files on disk that store it can't be read properly then I doubt there's much hope of fixing it.

0 0

Thanks for your replies. It'S running Windows XP Home Edition.

THe problem is that i have some programs on my Pc with had registry keys. But i don'T have the install cds anymore and I know it works when i copy the files of the program and copy the registry. So I wanted to witch files I have to copy or if it is possible.

@mastergamer There are some problems in some windows dlls. So if i log in it starts to load but the it logs me off automatically. So it isn'T the registry I think

Sorry for my bad English

GReetz NoPax

0 0

NoPax wrote: Thanks for your replies. It'S running Windows XP Home Edition.

@mastergamer There are some problems in some windows dlls. So if i log in it starts to load but the it logs me off automatically. So it isn'T the registry I think

BartPE/WinPE will be the easiest way, as mastergamer said. However, if you don't mind learning more advanced information about the registry, then this link will help a lot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

It breaks down the different hives into the files that are associated with them, as well as listing multiple ways to backup the registry.

0 0

THX It's almost the same as the Registry Article at Wikipedia, so I read most of it already.

Ok I try to use BartPE. But do I need the Install CD of Windows ???

Greetz NoPax

0 0

NoPax wrote: THX It's almost the same as the Registry Article at Wikipedia, so I read most of it already.

… Except the Microsoft one is easier to read and from a reputable source. Regardless, both give you the information about pulling the particular files if you need to.

Ok I try to use BartPE. But do I need the Install CD of Windows ???

Just get a pre-made ISO. If they're not floating around as HTTP downloads, they'll definitely be in torrents. Just Google "BartPE ISO" or "WinPE ISO".

0 0

Okay. Thanks now is all okay again and its working =)

Greetz NoPax