Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Live cd wont access internet

0 0

So my computer by default boots windows xp. Tho I have been trying out Linux and I kind of like it. The only problem is I can not connect to the internet when running the cd. I would like to know how to connect before I try to install. I am using ubuntu and backtrack2. I am installing ubuntu tho.

0 0

pendraggon wrote: So my computer by default boots windows xp. Tho I have been trying out Linux and I kind of like it. The only problem is I can not connect to the internet when running the cd. I would like to know how to connect before I try to install. I am using ubuntu and backtrack2. I am installing ubuntu tho.

In Ubuntu, "sudo ipconfig 192.168.1.20 netmask 255.255.255.0" and "sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1", if you want your IP to be "192.168.1.20" and your gateway (i.e., router) is "192.168.1.1", respectively. sudo lets you run commands as root.

In pretty much anything else (Linux-wise), just do "su -" and put in the root password to switch to root, then do the above commands without the sudo.

If you don't have a router or are using DHCP for whatever reason, just Google "dhcp client Ubuntu". I never use DHCP, so I don't know the specifics offhand. Also, I'd suggest getting an ebook that is geared towards learning Linux on a beginner level… otherwise, you'll end up back here with many more questions.

0 0

Ah I see. Yea I think an e-book would be a good idea thanks.

I am off to google!

0 0

<snip>sudo ipconfig 192.168.1.20</snip>

ipconfig? You mean ifconfig.

0 0

SwartMumba wrote: [quote] <snip>sudo ipconfig 192.168.1.20</snip>

ipconfig? You mean ifconfig.[/quote]

Obviously. I still type "ls" at my Windows command prompts from time to time, too… managing mixed environments can be that way sometimes.

0 0

if not using wireless try "ifconfig eth0 up", then "dhcpcd eth0" that should start up the eth0 and get the gateway subnet etc from the dhcp on the router / server. That is if you have dhcp set up to hand out ip address's.

0 0

<Off topic>

Zephyr_Pure wrote:

Obviously. I still type "ls" at my Windows command prompts from time to time, too… managing mixed environments can be that way sometimes.

You can add a file named ls.bat in you system32 dir (or anyone included in your path name) with "dir" as content.

It won't have the same usage as unix, obviously, but it will do the work :)

</Off topic>

0 0

Longbow wrote: <Off topic> You can add a file named ls.bat in you system32 dir (or anyone included in your path name) with "dir" as content.

It won't have the same usage as unix, obviously, but it will do the work :) </Off topic>

Not a bad thought, but most of the machines that i use the Windows command prompt on are not ones that I own or have on a network. On the ones I own, I use Cygwin. Anyways, thanks for the input. :)