Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

getting wireless internet to work on ubuntu

0 0

hi

i have an atheros ar5007eg wireless card

but ubuntu can't use it

it says it is a restricted driver or something

can anybody help me out?

how would i install a driver for this?

im completely new to linux so i have no idea what to do lol

thanks,

kyul :D

0 0

Try using the windows driver for it through ndiswrapper. There's loads of tutorials out there so I won't go into it here.

0 0

welcome to hell then!

i have dealt with this before, although different model of card.

Because it was a different card i can't spell it out for you but research these things if you want that damn card to work.

1. enable restricted drivers.
  2. investigate NDISWrapper…you will likely need it to make your driver work
  3. you may need to use whatever driver is available out there–meaning making ndiswrapper use WinXPs driver
  4. unless they fixed it since feisty, WEP and WPA dont work none too good with that ubuntus network manager–investigate using an alternative IF you cant connect to encrypted[EDIT: protected, not encrypted] Wifi. I wrote a manual for feisty setup on a dell vostro (mainly collected other sources) but look at the network part because it may apply to you…

here it is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600544

good luck, it took me a week to get my unsuported laptop to work correctly with ubuntu.

And a word of warning–be sure that when you power off, the laptop is actually powering off and not just killing the screen, fans and hard drive but leaving the cpu on–this has happened. How can you tell? leave it off and put it in a well ventilated place, after a while come back after shutting down– if it is hot ANYWHERE, ubuntu is not properly managing your hardware. Probably not an issue, but one that does come up with ubuntu and laptops in the past.

godspeed!

0 0

lameName wrote:

1. unless they fixed it since feisty, WEP and WPA dont work none too good with that ubuntus network manager

It worked fine for me in 7.10.

0 0

mastergamer wrote: It worked fine for me in 7.10.

I think it either came down to the type of wifi card or the type of router, not every1 suffered from this, but some of us did–particularly those that cheaped out on hardware–i.e. my refurbed vostro 1000, heh.

IF i remember right it was when feisty fawn had just been released from the stables, and cheap intel wifi cards had some issues with WEP/WPA.

I could disable and connect, but enabling froze the network manager.

anywho, good luck.

Retired
10 0

i have a close problem. i have ubuntu 8.04 and cannot figure out how to make it connect with a wireless network. my laptop (acer aspire 5315) has this built in and i cannot find any tuts/post on it since 8.04 is so new.

0 0

i've got 8.04, and do a large amount of wireless pentesting etc. finding the right info will be tough if it doenst work straight out of the box. there is a good app, wifi-manager called wifi-radar, its in the repos so just:

sudo apt-get install wifi-radar

it scans through the networks a little slow, but once it finds them it will give you all the options you need to connect. Also in the research department, i yield better results in the ubuntu forums if you search for your actual laptop make and model, as ppl seem to post using this more often than just the card model, so you might be able to find some alternative drivers that you can grab and setup from a tutorial.

0 0

thanks for the help ;)

i forgot about this post lol

only just checked on it after posting a new thread about the same topic, and some guy had a go at me sayin i posted the same thing lol

oh well everyone makes mistakes

0 0

all you need is this: snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-ng/madwifi-ng-r2756-20071018.tar.gz

0 0

I have had your trouble, but all I did was directly connect my laptop to the router and download the drivers and wireless worked perfectly.