Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux and its Lovely WiFi

The Manager
0 0

Hello all,

I have been playing around today with my new Laptop (Acer Aspire 3502LCi) and I have put Kubuntu on it (I like KDE over Gnome). I played a lot today (6 hours) and got the WiFi to FINALLY accept the DHCP connection but now I cannot get past the Wireless Router.

My network is a fun mess which I like to call Router Hell. It is a Wireless Router hooked up to a VPN router hooked up to a Cisco Router.

I can access the Wireless Router (lets call this 192.168.111.2), the VPN Router (lets call this 192.168.111.1) but that is where it falls short. I can ping both routers (the main router is a fall out to the gateway router). but I cannot pull up their information in Konquerer or FireFox. Once I get this figured out it will be great but until then it is a pain in my butt.

Anyone who knows a lot about this kind of stuff please let me know ASAP.

I can gain internet access if I hard wire myself but I have the laptop so I can be wireless.

Ultimate Headshot
0 0

Can you ping google or here? If so have you tried setting the options in firefox to 'automatically detect proxy settings'?

0 0

AldarHawk wrote:

My network is a fun mess which I like to call Router Hell. It is a Wireless Router hooked up to a VPN router hooked up to a Cisco Router.

I'm curious as to why you would set up what appears to be the most inefficient network ever? ;)

Seriously though, what is the point of your hardware setup?

0 0

Sabrewulf wrote: [quote]AldarHawk wrote:

I'm curious as to why you would set up what appears to be the most inefficient network ever? ;)

Seriously though, what is the point of your hardware setup?[/quote]

I agree with sabrewolf here, what is the reasoning behind those 3 routers???

:right:

just wondering,..

0 0

Infopirate wrote: [quote]Sabrewulf wrote: [quote]AldarHawk wrote:

Seriously though, what is the point of your hardware setup?[/quote]

I agree with sabrewolf here, what is the reasoning behind those 3 routers???

:right:

just wondering,..[/quote]

I don't know what these routers do, but maybe it gives his wireless a larger/stronger range, so he can get it further away still with a good connection. Kind of like a wireless booster.

Python Ninja
0 0

Feralas, no that's stupid.

Aldar, hit me on msn, we'll get this sorted out.

The Manager
0 0

Reasoning behind the three routers:

Cisco Router connects us to the outside world through a Fibre Optic Line. VPN router connects the internal network to this Cisco Router as well as enables the use of Virtual Private Networking Wireless Router…Do I need to explain this?

There are your points to the usage of the three (3) routers.

Now, No I cannot ping google. I have the wireless working to a degree but I cannot figure some things out.

I have attempted to make multiple profiles for home and work but when I go home and load the home profile it seems to mimic the work profile which is totally different than the home one. Ohh well. Richo I will hit you up when I see you…

The Manager
0 0

Thank you Richo for the help…I am hitting myself for not thinking of that!

It was the resolv.conf file that was the problem in case anyone is interested.

0 0

richohealey wrote: Feralas, no that's stupid.

Aldar, hit me on msn, we'll get this sorted out.

lol, I said I don't know :p It was just a wild guess.

The Manager
0 0

The problem is actually the DHCP on wifi so I have removed all dhcp and made it static :)

0 1

woops.

while DHCP is useful for war driving as it simply connects to your selected access point and automatically assigns an address to your laptop and access point , it will be quite confused with your Router Hell due to the setup as it can't decide which address to assign it too.

so the idea of using static ip address is ingenious. (with richo's help, i assume)

AldarHawk wrote:

I can gain internet access if I hard wire myself but I have the laptop so I can be wireless.

and what do you mean by hard-wiring yourself? sounds painful…

The Manager
0 0

fuser wrote: while DHCP is useful for war driving as it simply connects to your selected access point and automatically assigns an address to your laptop and access point , it will be quite confused with your Router Hell due to the setup as it can't decide which address to assign it too.

No the Router hell has nothing to do with is as ONLY one has DHCP enabled. I have a DHCP server that assigns IPs to other computers (THis is not the problem here)

fuser wrote: so the idea of using static ip address is ingenious. (with richo's help, i assume)

No Richo did not help me with this idea…I have been working with PCs and the likes far longer than a lot of people on this site are old so I would have to say I do know a thing or two about them. Just when I run into problems, like everyone else in the world, I ask for help.

fuser wrote: and what do you mean by hard-wiring yourself? sounds painful… Hard Wiring is the Physical use of a Network Cable. Thus the Hard…Wire. And I would not know…Do you think it painful to plug a network cable into a computer?

0 1

oh ok. i got it.

sorry if i offended you.

the last part was just a joke. honest.

The Manager
0 0

I know and I take no offense what so ever.

You Like this!
90 0

AldarHawk wrote: I know and I take no offense what so ever.

Thats good, thats good sportsmanship. :)

Python Ninja
0 0

fuser wrote: so the idea of using static ip address is ingenious. (with richo's help, i assume)

Uhhhhh what?

Setting a static ip ain't hard mate, half the time it's easier than configging dhcp to work WELL

trust me ….

I wasted about 10 hours one day setting up all dhcp to have static IP's per machine, clients unrecognised get routed through my server for shaping and logging(and upsidedownternetting if i'm angry)

Also they get assigned opc1, op2, opc3 .psychotik.info and that works for internal dns, plus if a machine isn't on dns sends servfails… it's tweaked but christ in a box it was a pain to set up.

The Manager
0 0

New fun in the Linux WiFi market!

I was working on my laptop and forgot to plug it in (stupid me) and when the battery died my ath0 wifi card went kaput.

Now I need help taking my ath0 device out of UNCLAIMED? http://pastebin.com/d2ade81ea <– pastebin of lshw -C network

any thoughts? …Richo?