Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Computer Reset

0 0

The computer at my school resets everytime I shut it down. Any files I save on the computer are deleted (I have a network that i save my work to, though - it doesnt delete that) and if i move something from the start menu to the desktop, it moves it back after shutdown. I have googled this, but i couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help in advance.

0 0

I want to know how (or if) I can stop the reset

0 0

I think the domain policy is to reset any changes made to the system. To prevent clutter and other things. The changes you make to the computer are stored in a temporary folder on the network and the template is reapplied during log on.

It's been a while since I've studied any of but I believe that is what happens. I don't think that you can keep it from doing that unless you reset that particular domain policy which is a entirely different problem to solve.

Anyway, Good luck and if you get more info on the problem PM me I'd really like to know more about the solution.

0 0

mm82788 wrote: I think the domain policy is to reset any changes made to the system. To prevent clutter and other things. The changes you make to the computer are stored in a temporary folder on the network and the template is reapplied during log on.

It's been a while since I've studied any of but I believe that is what happens. I don't think that you can keep it from doing that unless you reset that particular domain policy which is a entirely different problem to solve.

Anyway, Good luck and if you get more info on the problem PM me I'd really like to know more about the solution.

jargon, jargon, jargon…the domain policy isn't the solution. You are right about the temporary folders but you have to edit their settings. I don't understand how you're saving your settings to a network that is supposedly on that box. What you must do is open properties under network places. Set your File Sharing for Microsoft Networks as your default service for backup memory. I used to have this problem when i used IT's puters but i had to research it. Hope that helped…

0 0

COD3 wrote: I don't understand how you're saving your settings to a network that is supposedly on that box. My files are being saved on a box(I:) in the school office that I login to. These files aren't being deleted, but any new file that I save on the computer(C:) gets deleted. Also, if it helps, it's like the computer has a default setup because if I delete a file on the computer and shut it down, the file comes back on reboot.

0 0

Theres a nifty little program that can "freeze" any computer. Which means you can use it and abuse it all you want, but when you comp is shut down, everything is back to the way it was at the begging. See if the computer your using could be using "Deep Freeze".

0 0

Feralas, perfect timing. I figured out just before I read your reply that it is using something similar to "Deep Freeze"

0 0

Yeah, Deep Freeze is a problem whose solution I haven't figured out yet. Someone out there must know how to crack the password to change the files that are "frozen" but I haven't been able to locate any hashes yet.

0 0

If it is in fact Deep Freeze, there are simple hacks and misc. ways around it, a fair amount of Google searching will guarantee you happy endings.