Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

usb + school computer problem

0 0

Hi, I have a sandisk U3 jumpdrive (which is amazing) but I am having some problems with it on some of my school computers. One of the networks that we have has the same letter assigned to it as my jumpdrive does. Because of this, it won't let my jumpdrive run on the computer. Is there any way, besides removing the network, to allow my jumpdrive to run? any links or comments are appreciated.

edited for spelling

0 0

You could try to remove the mapped networked drive… if you find a way to use the "net use" command under your limited privileges.

Python Ninja
0 0

windows should dynamically assign mount points, the drive letter that the jumpdrive getson one machine has little to do with the moutn poin ti'll get on another.

0 0

i was thinking exactly what richohealey said. even for u3 flash drives, the computer will assign a letter for both the CD drive and the flash drive depending on the availability of letters. i have 2 of those and thats how it works for me so it shouldnt give you any problems

0 0

richohealey wrote: windows should dynamically assign mount points, the drive letter that the jumpdrive getson one machine has little to do with the moutn poin ti'll get on another.

The keyword here is "should". Under normal conditions, that is how the device should operate; it connects and gets the next available drive letter. However, it is possible that a mapped network drive (which has a static assigned drive letter, just like a physical drive) might interrupt the U3's AutoPlay capabilities since the U3 is essentially recognized as a CD / DVD drive. Basically, it seems to boil down to: Can a CD drive get a drive letter later in the chain than a network drive? I don't know for sure… it's just quirky enough to not be something I've tried.

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

One of the networks that we have has the same letter assigned to it as my jumpdrive does

This being a school network did u ever assume that this 1 network doesnt allow usb drives? have u seen any other usb drives ever connect to this network?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

plug in your jump drive, then right click computer and click manage. go to disk managment and right click on your pen drive and click 'change drive letter and paths" and then change it to something unused.

0 0

It sounds more like you're not allowed to use USB devices at all…

Perhaps they haven't even installed all motherboard drivers? Also, if you've just tried the USB ports in the front try the ones in the back as well. Those in the front may not be connected to the motherboard.

0 0

It does work on the network because I have used it on the laptops and 1 desktop computer but most of the rest won't let it run. I will try to change the letter of the network so it will run but I don't even know if I have that much power.

0 0

I use the exact same usb, it automatically changes to the next avalible letter when I connect to a computer. Check out the website, maybe theres a software update?

0 0

My schools computers try to block USB drives, but some still get through it seems like. I would just always sign in as my admin account, and that would always allow me access.

If you suspect your drive letter to be the problem change it in disk management.

go to Start>Run>compmgmt.msc

0 0

I had the same problem as OP. There are a few ways around this, and you can't use disk management without admin (or it was blocked at my school, anyway):

1. Insert flash drive before logging in.

2. Re-map your network drive at something like Z:\

3. Autorun.inf? Dunno if that would work but see if you can do anything with that, although if it doesn't mount I would not think it would do anything…

I use -=Gonzor=-'s USB payload on a SanDisk U3 Cruzer 4GB and it usually works regardless of whether or not the drive is assigned a drive letter, as long as it is physically 'mounted.'

Hope that helps a bit, anyway. I don't know why they only reserve 1 default drive letter for students… Like no one has multi-part or multiple drives (or both) :angry:

0 0

Yea, I tried to open disk managment to change the drive letters but it blocked me right before I got to it. I will, however, try plugging it in before I log in, along with all the other good sugestions. Just a little piece of information to add is that for some reason, my school computers, will still allow batch, so would there be a way to make a code that would change the drive letter? I remember comming across different commands to change directories and things like that but would that also work for the network letters?