Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Computer crashing in a weird way

The Localhost Hacker
20 0

OK well, every like 2 hours my laptop screen just goes blank except for the mouse but the mouse moves at a very slow speed and i can press ctrl-alt-delete but it takes about 10 minutes for it to come up then im stuck on what to do cos i cant use task manager (the screen is blank) i cant log off (it stays in slow motion) and i have to hold the power button to make the pc shut down and restart.

This has been happening for about 2 months now and is really annoying now especially when im in teh middle of something important it mainly happens when im using some high graphics things like games but it can happen at random times too.

I have asked on yahoo answers and i got some good results and the "black outs" have been happening less often but they're still happening.

I have windows vista ultimate 1.6ghz CPU 1gb ram 128mb gfx card Any help? Thanks :)

PS, ffs dont say get rid of vista thats the problem, i have been using vista for over a year and its fine its just something i must have messed with accidently and i dont know what :p

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

i think i need more info. when did it start happening and what did you do right before that? have you checked for viruses?

The Localhost Hacker
20 0

ynori7 wrote: i think i need more info. when did it start happening and what did you do right before that? have you checked for viruses?

It started happening about 3 months ago but cos it was so long ago i cant really remember what i did :angry: and i have checked for anythig that could cause it like viruses including spyware, trojans and rootkits, registry errors, system config, clead all the junk files, cleaned my fan incase its overheating but still nothing seems to fix it :(

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

what result did you find on yahoo that made the problem occur less often?

The Localhost Hacker
20 0

It was this advanced windows care thing from iobit.com, when i scanned it had loads of reg errors and loads of spyware alerts :p so i jsut clicked repair

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

well, if you haven't already done so, you should try running a full scan with whatever virus scanner you have, cuz the only thing i can think of that would do that is a virus. if you can't find anything, you may end up having to backup all your data and format your harddrive. i can't really think of anything else to help, sorry.

0 0

AVG!!

0 0

Are you sure that the source of your current problems is not:

jaggedlancer wrote: this advanced windows care thing from iobit.com, when i scanned it had loads of reg errors and loads of spyware alerts :p so i jsut clicked repair

? For that matter, why didn't your current scanning tools pick up these "errors" and "alerts"? What are you using for AV and AS?

0 0

One thing that i think could help would be to go into the bios and make everything go back into the default so this way if something had been changed you can get it back to the way things were.

Hope it helps

Banned
0 0

search google for:

AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy AD-Aware 2007 Personal CCleaner

use those to clean your pc :)

0 0

Simple sollution, 1) You can either try to restore your computer to 20 months from now, or 2) is to wipe and reload.

It may not be anything truly major, but you might have a lot of small messes. Although you could get some cleaning stuff, you still need to do this, and on the next restore look into like: AVG, spybots and things of that nature, to help maintain your computer.

It is one thing to work a computer, but another thing to maintain it.

0 0

heres an tool that is like the taskmanager, but it gives you security ratings on each process.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

run that, and kill anything that gets a high level rating.

go start>run>cmd

and run the 'msconfig' utility. check out your startup processes. if there are lots there, that could be slowing you down and whatnot. if the process that was dangerous is on here, remove it. and before you wipe, remove everything from that list and restart. none of the processes are necessary for windows to run (but some can speed you up and whatnot)

thats what i would do.

peace

0 0

ffs get rid of vista …

0 0

Why the hell was this thread bumped? The bumping post was about the BIOS, which is utter and complete horse-crap. The OP has probably resolved the problem by now, since it has been 3 months. Leave the thread dead.

Admin from hell
0 0

Funny how people want to add thier 2cents after the fact. Don't post help if you don't know what your talking about.