Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

0 0

i have this problem. i have two disks, one older, one newer. sometimes happen to me that the older hdd stop. the red led on my case that indicates hdd/cpu work just lighting. and nothing is happening. my pc freezes. and theres a sound like when you turn of a cpu fan, or something else. i think its that older hdd. why i am thinking this? i must restart my pc when this happen, and i see on a raid screen that this shit has not been detected. so i must completely turn off my pc, and try it again in 5 minutes. then its normally operating. i've reinstalled both of my os (winxp + debian, dualboot) because my friend recommended it to me. it stopped doing this. but… this happend 1 year ago. i just reinstalled my os before 1 month ago. and it started doing this again! what i should have to do? thanks in advance for any help

0 0

Sounds like your older HDD has physical damage / issues. Just to make sure, though, try swapping the IDE / SATA cable with the one from the other one and try a different power connector for the HDD. Other than that, my advice would be "get a new hard drive". :)

0 0

thanks. but i have question… both of my systems are running on that newer hdd. that older is only for backup and some files. so, why after fail my disc, will my system fails too? its not a system driver… it should be indenpendent on that.

0 0

dancuc wrote: thanks. but i have question… both of my systems are running on that newer hdd. that older is only for backup and some files. so, why after fail my disc, will my system fails too? its not a system driver… it should be indenpendent on that.

Ahh… that makes a bit more sense, I guess. Try this: Open the side of your computer case and start up your computer. When you hear the "sound like the CPU fan stopping", look and listen to the components in the case. That should tell you whether it's the HDD or not.

After that, if it is the older HDD, unplug it (leaving the case open) and start up again. Does it fail the same way?

That should give more information on what's causing the problem.

0 0

i think its that hdd. because when this happens, raid wont detect it. the first hdd is WDC-WD2500KS, its the "newer" primary hdd the second is IC35L120, the "older" hdd. the first hdd is without problems detected at startup of the raid the second must be detected after "IDE scan". when this happens, it wont get detected, it will write Drive 0 - Drive 5 : Not found id it works correctly, Drive 0 is that detected hdd

eh, i've removed a fan from the chipset, because it was crappy, can be it chipset?

0 0

Seems like your "old" HDD is just shot (dead). Pardon the terminology. But it's the way to make you comprehend. Also, check the fan(s).

You're putting so much strain on the "older" HDD by making it your data storage/backup unit. It's most likely suffering from the large I/O throughput.

Definitely, get a newer HDD for this functionality, as older ones are not meant to support the speeds and large data transfers from our high demands.

0 0

ok, i will buy a new hdd. i will transfer all the important backups to the main hdd. its only 120 GB. thanks to all for help.

0 0

dancuc wrote: i think its that hdd. because when this happens, raid wont detect it. the first hdd is WDC-WD2500KS, its the "newer" primary hdd the second is IC35L120, the "older" hdd. the first hdd is without problems detected at startup of the raid the second must be detected after "IDE scan". when this happens, it wont get detected, it will write Drive 0 - Drive 5 : Not found id it works correctly, Drive 0 is that detected hdd

eh, i've removed a fan from the chipset, because it was crappy, can be it chipset?

Well, I know that you think it's that HDD… did you actually follow the steps I listed? It's better to know or determine what is actually causing the problem.

You removed a fan from the board because it was "crappy"… yeah, I'd say: Put the crappy fan back on until you get one to replace it. Anyways, did the issues start shortly after you removed the "crappy" fan?

0 0

yes, it started short time ago… that fan maked too strong sound, if you understand me. no, i'm not a crazy computer gamer that must have super silent computer with latest graphic card etc. no. but it started from time to time making horrible sound, like jammed. i was in think that it is my power source fan. but it wasnt. it was a chipset fan. so i removed it. do you really think that it can be chipset? when it start again, i will do as you say and try to figure it out. my problem is, that i dont know when this going to happen again.

0 0

dancuc wrote: yes, it started short time ago… that fan maked too strong sound, if you understand me. no, i'm not a crazy computer gamer that must have super silent computer with latest graphic card etc. no. but it started from time to time making horrible sound, like jammed.

Never said that… just wondered why someone would unplug an internal fan and just leave it that way. Kinda begging for trouble there.

i was in think that it is my power source fan. but it wasnt. it was a chipset fan. so i removed it. do you really think that it can be chipset? when it start again, i will do as you say and try to figure it out. my problem is, that i dont know when this going to happen again.

It could be chipset, or any of the other components that the fan might've been cooling. The chipset is one of the most important parts of a mainboard / motherboard.

As for not knowing when it will happen again, just keep the side off the case until it does, then follow the steps. :)

0 0

thanks, i will do it

Admin from hell
0 0

@dancuc, If your rebooting and it say's raid not detected it is a hdd failure, Do you have these set up in raid 1 or 0. I'll assume 1 since you stated it's for backup, Although a raid 1 mirrors all data to both drives in case one fails. Raid 0 is perfomance and splits write tasks between the two drives anyway to set up an effective raid you should have 2 matched pairs of hdd not a "newer one and an older one" Different seek and write times can play hell with a raid driver. I'm suprised it worked this long:D Get a matched pair of drives if you want to raid (check some online articles)

0 0

the problem has been solved. it was that hdd. i taked off the left cover of my case, first i wanted to remove power cable of my old cd-rom, i dont used it, i have better. and i looked at that old hdd. it was dirty. i have under it two fans, so it probably taked some dust. i removed that fans and carefully cleared that hdd. it stopped doing this. my hdd is old school, it works for about 6 years!! :p