Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Rooting 3 SAM hash cracker

0 0

Anybody know how to crack a SAM? Any software I can download…? Or do it online? I can't find anything good, any help is appreciated.

1337 H4X0RZ 43V4 Thors

0 0

^ same problem with me - i got as far as | getting the actual hash but what do i crack it with? |

0 0

I know there are progs that extract/crack a hash on your computer, but I don't think they allow you to input an already-extracted hash. I tried google-ing every "SAM hash windows crack" combo I could think of, to no avail…

0 0

going to bed now, please PLEASE someone help! I know some of you have finished this challenge…

[TheN00bHacker]
0 0

if u've already extracted the hash after finding/running hte program, all you have left to do is decrypt the hash… just look at it and u can tell what kind of hash it is, and search google for that kind of decrypter

0 0

IM (thorugh AIM, AOL, Pidgin, meebo) "MD5 Library" the hash and it'll give you the plaintext.

0 0

yes come on people simple md5 for crying out loud!

0 0

-_- google for an md5 database…

0 0

Ok, looks like people here thinks that they have to find the sam file and crack it using another program, but YOU DONT! You have to find kevins "secret" program, THEN use that program to get a hash from the Sam file. This is just a simulation, so no extra programs is requred.

0 0

^^ ditto.

if you cant manually find a file on a windows system in CMD which only has about 10 directories, then god help you :P

0 0

If you have a hash from SAM file, just go to milworm and type that hash in search box :p

...Legend?
0 0

Its not a real SAM file on this mission count how many chars there are it might give you a clue in to how it was encrypted

0 0

nvm dumb mistake on my part lol - completed :)

0 0

[[[[MASSIVE SPOILER TO END ALL SPOILERS!!!!]]]]

Fuck man…..

0 0

god knows…

i just put in "[hashtype] database" and i get a database full of hashes…

0 0

koolkeith12345 wrote: [[[[MASSIVE SPOILER TO END ALL SPOILERS!!!!]]]]

Fuck man…..

no it was a link to webpage that cracks it. it wasnt that massive anyway as im sure if anyone uses their brain and uses google they will find it

Python Ninja
0 0

a link to a webpage that cracks it is as posting the answer to the challenge.

If you weren't meant to think about the encryption then the pass wouldn't have been encrypted.

0 0

program that can extract windows password hashes while running windows at the same time

your rooting a WINDOWS box. if it wasnt encrypted using that particular hash then it would not be realistic and the challenge maker would possibly get comments on why he didnt encrypt the pass

0 0

koolkeith12345 wrote:

your rooting a WINDOWS box. if it wasnt encrypted using that particular hash then it would not be realistic and the challenge maker would possibly get comments on why he didnt encrypt the pass

I Agree ;)

0 0

good mission, nice and easy. to put it in perspective. ive never done one bit of rooting b4 i did these and managed to do all 3 within minutes of each other. ( although yes i am aware how unrealsitic they are) :-)

0 0

mitz247 wrote: good mission, nice and easy. to put it in perspective. ive never done one bit of rooting b4 i did these and managed to do all 3 within minutes of each other. ( although yes i am aware how unrealsitic they are) :-)

It should have been worth like 5 points. All you had to know was how to change directories, run a program, and crack a hash.

0 0

i agree

0 0

Cain i think can crack NT passwords… also l0phtcrack/l0phstat

… Its not SAM hash xD.

spend a few minutes looking at the hash… and the length.

What well known hash is the same length (BTW.. its 16 chars long… and LM[SAM] is like 8)

0 0

Yeah, a friend helped me in PM, I thought it was SAM lol! Yeah, I've cracked MD5s before. lol I'm in america, no one posts until about 3AM here :p

Thanks, we get it now, challenge owned

Oh, yeah, I'm new to encryption (with computers anyway, I do it old-school way usually lol, matrices and everything) so what exactly is SAM? I know it's used for WIN passwords or something… what's it look like? All I know is that it has something to do with truncation and splitting and rejoining 7 or 8 byte strings…

[edit]It was SAM lol I just didn't know why it was md5. I know SAM uses some other form of encryption…[/edit]

Python Ninja
0 0

koolkeith12345 wrote: your rooting a WINDOWS box. if it wasnt encrypted using that particular hash then it would not be realistic and the challenge maker would possibly get comments on why he didnt encrypt the pass

uhhh do you know what hash is used within a SAM file???

[edit][color=deepskyblue]He should have tacked in some shit about creating an alogorithm to change the hash type but not crack it[/color][/edit]

0 0

richohealey wrote: [color=deepskyblue]He should have tacked in some shit about creating an alogorithm to change the hash type but not crack it[/color]

If thats the case … maybe he should post that algo in the JOKES section..:D

0 0

mr noob wrote if you cant manually find a file on a windows system in CMD which only has about 10 directories, then god help you :P

I use Linux, I can do cmd lol. No, my whole problem is fixed, thanks ayr4. I knew it looked like an md5 but I had no idea why md5 would be used in a Win pass file. Now I know it's just because it was a sim lol.

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote:

Oh, yeah, I'm new to encryption (with computers anyway, I do it old-school way usually lol, matrices and everything) so what exactly is SAM? I know it's used for WIN passwords or something… what's it look like? All I know is that it has something to do with truncation and splitting and rejoining 7 or 8 byte strings…

[edit]It was SAM lol I just didn't know why it was md5. I know SAM uses some other form of encryption…[/edit]

Heres an example, taken from one of my schools computers (neither myself nor 2 of my friends could crack it)

Administrator:500:0,25,21,C4,1D,05,4B,A2,88,41,7E,AF,50,CF,AC,29,C3: _8A,4B,D5,C4,36,B3,81,FB,41,CF,59,75,75,AC,68,CF,09009:::

0 0

bigggnick wrote: [quote]ThorsDecree wrote:

Heres an example, taken from one of my schools computers (neither myself nor 2 of my friends could crack it)

Administrator:500:0,25,21,C4,1D,05,4B,A2,88,41,7E,AF,50,CF,AC,29,C3: _8A,4B,D5,C4,36,B3,81,FB,41,CF,59,75,75,AC,68,CF,09009:::[/quote]

What kind of encryption is it? I'm not familiar with any type of encryption like that :right:

0 0

It's hex… I know sam has something to do with truncation, dual 7-byte encrypted strings from a 14-byte truncated string, and reattachment (forgot the tech. term for it :p) of the two strings. I don't know of a decrypter that will take a sam input from user… All that i've seen take it from your computer. It would be a cool thing to have tho… gl getting the admin acct!

My school sucks, it's going to the dogs even tho we're the best around And our network admin is actually computer literate… :angry:

They don't even let you reset the time in the library comps even tho they are about 8 hours off rofl

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: It's hex…

lol, no thats actually LM. Windows may be ridiculously insecure, but not that stupid. If it was hex i would have cracked it instantly.

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: It's hex… I know sam has something to do with truncation, dual 7-byte encrypted strings from a 14-byte truncated string, and reattachment (forgot the tech. term for it :p) of the two strings. I don't know of a decrypter that will take a sam input from user… All that i've seen take it from your computer. It would be a cool thing to have tho… gl getting the admin acct!

My school sucks, it's going to the dogs even tho we're the best around And our network admin is actually computer literate… :angry:

They don't even let you reset the time in the library comps even tho they are about 8 hours off rofl

Lol @ hex.

0 0

OK so I have a huge vendetta against windows and I saw letters/numbers up to "f" and in pairs… Like I said, I'm a little new to cryptography. So what is LM?

0 0

i dont know, whats google?

Python Ninja
0 0

bigggnick wrote: i dont know, whats google?

PWNT. LM is the lanman hash. therea re a few good crackers about for it, jtr cain and l0phtcrack most notably.

[Forever Blind To See]
0 0

im pretty sure the encryption method is the same as Enc 7 here? well i know it is coz i done it lol ahh good ole' milw0rm

0 0

lol i spent like 5 minutes trying to login as kevin using the password from the sam. imagining that i had to get to the protected folders and get that sourcecode.. but nop that password was the end.

i really think this challenge could be longer..

0 0

wow… read my posts… I look like the biggest n00b lol

No, im pretty good with lots of stuff, just new to encryption. I didn't know what MD5 was till i stumbled across HBH lol

Python Ninja
0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: wow… read my posts… I look like the biggest n00b lol

No, im pretty good with lots of stuff, just new to encryption. I didn't know what MD5 was till i stumbled across HBH lol

WTF???? who are you talking to when you say "No, im pretty good with lots of stuff"??

i think you'll find that we'll a) judge for ourselves,

and b) not care

0 0

richohealey wrote: WTF???? who are you talking to when you say "No, im pretty good with lots of stuff"??

i think you'll find that we'll a) judge for ourselves,

and b) not care

lmao that was funny. this guy seems desperate to try and seem good at computers and you made him look a total idiot:D

0 0

I can't see why so many people had problems identifying the hash; I mean if you don't recognize a MD5 hash when you see it then…. It's bad lol :p

0 0

I thought "hey, this looks like an md5" but the challenge said sam so i searched for sam… It's my own fault for not at least trying the md5, that was stupid, i admit… lol i know i look like such a noob :p but we all have to start somewhere, eh?

0 0

if you did search for sam you would know the format passwords are stored inside.. i knew what the sam file was and what it contained just needed a quick search to find what format was used to store the hashes.

0 0

bigggnick wrote:

Administrator:500:0,25,21,C4,1D,05,4B,A2,88,41,7E,AF,50,CF,AC,29,C3: _8A,4B,D5,C4,36,B3,81,FB,41,CF,59,75,75,AC,68,CF,09009::: Your password is 472flint OMG it took less that one second to crack that using Ophcrack