Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Help needed on Rooting Challenge 3 please...

Greyhat in Training
0 0

I'm such a noob on Telnet rooting… I've done some Google searches and read up on Telnet commands but keep getting no where.

Could anyone give me any pointers in the right direction please?

0 0

Try using some MS-DOS like commands, particularly one that will 'help' you. ;) , you should be able to navigate the telnet shell from there, you can PM me if you get stuck more on this challenge.

0 0

There is no need to even start the exe ….

there are more than one way of completing it…

try to look it as a application cracking…

Greyhat in Training
0 0

Done, thanks.

[edit:] Used MS-DOS commands within the rooting challenge program to beat it.

Admin from hell
0 0

If you use a debugger to complete this challenge you have no idea on rooting and should give your computer to a 9 year old that can:angry: This challenge is so easy it should take less than a minute to get the hash.

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

korg wrote: If you use a debugger to complete this challenge you have no idea on rooting and should give your computer to a 9 year old that can:angry: This challenge is so easy it should take less than a minute to get the hash.

You know what? That statement is entirely hypocritical….if he can find a different way around the challenge, then he is "Hacking" who said we have to follow the "rules" when working these things?

I'm done….

Python Ninja
0 0

no, it's not that… it's that you only need to use the simlpest scommands to beat this chall. anyone who can't navigate a directory structure at command line should give up

0 0

using the debugger to find the hash is like using a computer as a chair. it works, but its stupid and short sighted. fine you can crack apps but you won't know how to root computers…

0 0

<way the hell off topic>

Folk Theory wrote: using the debugger to find the hash is like using a computer as a chair. it works, but its stupid and short sighted.

HAHAHAHAHA, I lmao'd irl, thank you :D:D:D

</way the hell off topic>

0 0

Folk Theory wrote: using the debugger to find the hash is like using a computer as a chair. it works, but its stupid and short sighted. fine you can crack apps but you won't know how to root computers…

QFT. This challenge is beyond simple, the only thing that you might get hung up on is once you find the secret software, you just type it's name in and press enter, then you will be greeted with how to do the rest. It's so fucking easy. anyone who has touched a windows PC should be able to do this in under 5 minutes.

0 0

moshbat wrote: erm… how do i run the "secret" program? do i just type the name? yep just type C:>watever> secret.exe and hit enter

0 0

@korg - youre a noob if it takes you a whole minute to complete this lol

Admin from hell
0 0

@korg - youre a noob if it takes you a whole minute to complete this lol

Are you making a statement, Or are you calling me a noob, Mr_noob. I said less than a minute anyways.

0 0

i think it doesn't need to be debugged because its easy and logical…

0 0

Hacking is taking something apart to see how it works. This Challenge in my mind isn't rooting its using "cd" a lot and then running a program. If that person (can't remember his name) wishes to make this challenge more challenging and wants to actually learn something from it then he is a real hacker. "PwN1Ng" boxes n ownage isn't hacking..just wanna make that clear.

P.S. If its too easy as your all saying..do it the hard way and learn something.

0 0

sentai wrote: Hacking is taking something apart to see how it works. This Challenge in my mind isn't rooting its using "cd" a lot and then running a program. If that person (can't remember his name) wishes to make this challenge more challenging and wants to actually learn something from it then he is a real hacker. "PwN1Ng" boxes n ownage isn't hacking..just wanna make that clear.

P.S. If its too easy as your all saying..do it the hard way and learn something.

Listen to this man.

(Although this was really fucking easy. But perhaps the motive behind disassembling it was boredom rather then frustration with the first method.)

I'm thinking of coding a rooting challenge for this site, as these other three leave me…dissatisfied.

0 0

sentai wrote: "PwN1Ng" boxes n ownage isn't hacking..just wanna make that clear.

I agree… In real life I don't care about rooting, or hacking sites… I care mainly about how software works and how to secure it, and to a lesser extent how websites work and how to secure them…

If you ever get a job as a programmer you'll never be handed a keyboard and told to find a file and run it using nothing but MS-DOS commands, because that's useless… You will however, be asked to debug software.

Why does anyone care how someone completes these challenges? If there's more than one way, use the way that you find easier or more useful

0 0

this is a 'rooting' challenge. the point is not to find the password, it is to learn to root. this site is about learning not getting points. now just because this is a .exe and not a real computer to root, i dont think you should debug it for answers. thats what the applications missions are for. if you want to beat it the 'proper' way, then debug it later i wouldnt care. actually i dont care at all anyways because its you not learning to root, not me. not like beating this mission means you know how to root or anything. thats just my input.

anyways, the hash turned out to be m*5. :angry: shouldnt it have been lm?

0 0

now this just BLOWS. ok so other people have done it the normal way and some have done it the cracky way.

doesnt matter.

now id like to know if anyone else has done this on vista? im using vista and i get an error saying msg isnt a blah blah blah so i think that it doesnt like vista or i suck and dont know what to do. you can ask me what i did and ill tell/show you cos im shure its right.

also this rooting challenge isnt that fantastic. its more of a 'this is what its like to telnet to a windows box' than a 'rooting challenge'.

0 0

Is this challenge down? cause most the commands listed under the help do nothing including the most important one to completing this mission. I know I'm not making any mistakes cause I use the command line and telnet all the time.

0 0

kkoliver wrote: Is this challenge down? cause most the commands listed under the help do nothing including the most important one to completing this mission. I know I'm not making any mistakes cause I use the command line and telnet all the time.

yeah, sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but it is most certainly down :(

0 0

I did it on Vista as well I got the same msg alert but it works either way

0 0

I finished it, and I'm on Vista.