Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Totally Lost on rooting challenge

0 0

Ok i type telnet 69.13.37.42 and it says "command not found", same thing for nmap and ftp. I read all the other threads, and i am still lost. Any hints?

0 0

One- This isnt using telnet in this challenge. i just got into this stuff and i thought the same thing…

Two-Nmap is the right place to start. Your tring to connect and get into this guys computer right? How do you get into the computer…(hint-ports)

Now what do we do with these port things???

You will notice that there are 3 open ports. they have a number, and will say either FTP, SSH, or HTML.

Your going to use the FTP port. Thats as far as i will go with that one. If you know how to use ftp, then you should be able to figure out what to do with that.

Three-

Trying to get his password correct? If you read around, or GOOGLE!! you will find the name of this file thats located on linux(his OS is linux)

The last hint ill give out, and i hope this isnt TOO much info, is you'll have to use teh cmd:

cd ..

Good luck.

0 0

I'm getting a similar problem. I can use nmap and view the port list, but any time I try to use telnet or ftp. Telnet doesn't work, period, and ftp brings up the ftp options, but if I try to open (ip) or o (ip) it says "command not found". Am I supposed to be using different syntax like the nmap thing? Frankly, I think a more flexible rooting challenge is called for.

0 0

OOoooh, there we go.

I fail to see how this is an accurate simulation of rooting.

0 0

the theory behind it is accurate. the program simulator is just a little bit unforgiving. stop complaining about it tho, we've all had to do it. and by making it difficult like this it really makes you think and you'll remember what you did because it was so difficult.

Banned
0 0

Sniper.. you noob lol. (hes my friend so I can call him that) Seems Sniper knows what to do, you should be able to get there. Google is very useful in finding the files you need. Normally I would chime in saying read my article. BC

0 0

Well the point, why this challenge it at some part so irrealistic is that command are limit in the ftp. There should be other simple command like "ls" that should be implement to make it more "realistic".

Otherwise for the challenge in itself just need to get step by step and search on google about different command you need to use to read file and change directory.

0 0

I still think is a good challenge. Yes, it is a bit of a pain, but still. It's practice. If your so pissed over it go own a real box.