Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

/me needs help on the second part

0 0

I have connected to the server and I can cd to / but i can't GET any files or CD into the proper directory, any help please?

(hope there's not too many spoilers in that)

0 0

This about the right dir.

PS etcetera

0 0

I know where the file is, i just cant get there, whenever i try to CD into the directory, i just get the "Connection Lost" error.

0 0

never mind, I have done it now

0 0

I don't get it… do I need to change permissions or something (that won't work tho, since I'm not root). so, what can I possibly do to get into the /etc folder? Or do I just cat the file… w/o having to go into the /etc DIR

0 0

heres a hint to the cd-ing to the right directory, pretend your slash key is broken :)

Banned
0 0

pr1nc3 wrote: I don't get it… do I need to change permissions or something (that won't work tho, since I'm not root). so, what can I possibly do to get into the /etc folder? Or do I just cat the file… w/o having to go into the /etc DIR

If you still dont have it AIM me: LRS Sungod I dont give many spoilers, but I can talk you through it.

0 0

in the description of the challenge it tells you that they are running Linux and the password is in the normal spot. Why dont you google it and find out where the password file is normally kept.

Once you get this you should be able to work it out, dont make the same mistake as I did and try to over complicate it,

Cheers

Dantronix

0 0

Ok, im up to the /etc/ bit. I can't open the file i need. I've tried… "cd <file>" "cd /etc/<FILE>"

How do i open it?

0 0

am i supposed to get the connection lost message if i try to change to a wrong directory?

0 0

revolt0163 wrote: heres a hint to the cd-ing to the right directory, pretend your slash key is broken :)

Now that is a big hint, if you can't gather what you are doing from this, msg me on aim aenman123 if u need help

0 0

I'm almost positve i know the password is, but am i getting the connection lost error because i'm trying to go to the wrong directory, or is something wrong with my computer.

Banned
0 0

LiveFastDieFun wrote: I'm almost positve i know the password is, but am i getting the connection lost error because i'm trying to go to the wrong directory, or is something wrong with my computer.

wrong directory or command.

0 0

This thing is hard as….I get the connection, but I am seeming to use the wrong commands, ah well, I will try again later on.

0 0

The command you need to 'see' the password file is NOT an FTP command. Kinda makes the mission pointless, could have saved a lot of trouble making us telnet in instead of FTP.

[edit] to make this easy, pretend you're NOT using bash in a *nix shell, you're using a completley different system that dosen't let you do ANYTHING (kinda like windows). You can't jump to the file/folder you want (as you should be able to), take it a step at a time.

0 0

So i can't change directories? I've tried "cd etc", "cd etc passwd", and "cat etc passwd", no matter what i type i get conncection lost error. Is this right, am i close?

0 0

Man of Shadows wrote: Is this link any help? http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Etc_files

The requested page title was invalid, empty, or an incorrectly linked inter-language or inter-wiki title. It may contain one more characters which cannot be used in titles.

0 0

Displayed wrote: [quote]Man of Shadows wrote: Is this link any help? http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Etc_files

The requested page title was invalid, empty, or an incorrectly linked inter-language or inter-wiki title. It may contain one more characters which cannot be used in titles.[/quote]

try deleting the rubbish at the end of the url (one you've clicked the link)

0 0

ahha i dont click links to do work!!!! :-P but yeah i got it now. thanks

0 0

Hmmm the link was fine when i posted it hmmmm. Cheers system for fixing it.

Anyhow im completely lost about this mission.

Banned
0 0

Man of Shadows wrote: Hmmm the link was fine when i posted it hmmmm. Cheers system for fixing it.

Anyhow im completely lost about this mission.

Shadow, IM me in AIM my S/n is LRS Sungod

0 0

Add me…you don't seem to be on. Mines is "HoboEuan".

Python Ninja
0 0

why do you have to use ftp? wouldn't telnet be a squilion times easier? why do i get errors everytime i try to use telnet? it says in the list that you can use it!

Banned
0 0

richohealey wrote: why do you have to use ftp? wouldn't telnet be a squilion times easier? why do i get errors everytime i try to use telnet? it says in the list that you can use it!

Its just how the challenge was coded, and on port 21, telnet is a big pain.

Python Ninja
0 0

true that. still i'm completely lost. i get on, but haven't found a single cmd that doesn't disconnect me. gentle nudge (or smack me with a croquet mallet??) in the right direction please! help!

Banned
0 0

richohealey wrote: true that. still i'm completely lost. i get on, but haven't found a single cmd that doesn't disconnect me. gentle nudge (or smack me with a croquet mallet??) in the right direction please! help!

READ MY ARTICLE!!!!!!!!

it has a perfect push

Python Ninja
0 0

i've been over it many times. It's been too long since i tried anything new with linux. i know that i have to get into to dir without uising the slash key, but can't see how. can i just see the file from the home directory by telling it where to go?

Admin from hell
0 0

how do you Change Directories .. ?

think about it!

0 0

I always get disconnected…:(

Banned
0 0

korg wrote: how do you Change Directories .. ?

think about it!

You pretty much gave it away there, if someone cant figure that out, then learn about parent directories.

Bl4ckC4t

0 0

how can you read a file using ftp? telnet doesnt work… a know how to change directory but how to read a file using ftp? telnet doesnt work… and once again: telnet doesnt work..

0 0

man that misssions a bit pointless, why you have to go through all that trouble i dont know