Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Rooting 1 directory change.

0 0

I cannot get this. I have used the cd function in so many different ways. I wasn't planning on making this thread but I have tried too many cd functions. I understand that the "/" will disconnect you, however a "//" or "/…/" wont. I got that from a previous thread if that is correct. I also read that this should be done one step at a time. So I shouldn't "cd /home/etc"? cd etc or cd /etc. They don't work, and I am clueless.

0 0

*nix filesystems don't have a "/home/etc" unless you create a directory named "etc" in the /home directory. Have you tried achieving your objective without navigating to the directory first?

0 0

Actually i have not tried that. However from reading the other rooting one help topics I am suppose to be changing the directory and then going back. Going back I think would be "cdup".

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Actually i have not tried that. However from reading the other rooting one help topics I am suppose to be changing the directory and then going back. Going back I think would be "cdup".

It's possible that either aren't accessing the directory correctly, or that you're accessing the wrong directory. Maybe there is a directory you need to hit that's beneath "etc". As for "going back", there is more than one way to navigate up a directory: relatively and absolutely. :)

0 0

So are you trying to tell me that I am not suppose to go to the "etc" directory? I just need to go through the "etc" directory and into the password file? I don't see how that would be possible because I do not know what the name of the password file is.

0 0

the name of the password file would be "passwd" without the quotes.. all you have to do is get to the directory and read it.. a google search on unix commands should show you how to do that and where the password file is..

0 0

Okay thank you. I have been looking at *nix commands for some time for the cd function but now I actually know what im suppose to do. Thank you. I will post if I get it or not.

Wait, so am I using the "get" command? The cat command maybe. Im guessing I need to use the cat function? Correct me while I try this.

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Wait, so am I using the "get" command? The cat command maybe. Im guessing I need to use the cat function? Correct me while I try this.

Just try them both and fool with it. Trust me, you're making this challenge much harder than it needs to be.

0 0

All right and im going to try to make these my last questions. Using the cat and get function, do I need to go through the directory or can I just go stright to "passwd" file. And if I have to go through the directory which im most deffiniately going to have to do im guessing, is it /hm/ec/pss*d?

Admin from hell
0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: Just try them both and fool with it. Trust me, you're making this challenge much harder than it needs to be.

Amen brother someone just needs to learn more about commands and how they work these challenges are way to easy.

0 0

And someone needs to learn how NOT to be a dick. Well in your case a vagina because you seem like a pussy. No need to go being a dick for no reason. Honestly, no reason at all. And yeah, your right. I do need to know more about commands, and its seems to me im actually WILLING to commit to that. So what the problem is?

Banned
0 0

chronicburst wrote: And someone needs to learn how NOT to be a dick. Well in your case a vagina because you seem like a pussy. No need to go being a dick for no reason. Honestly, no reason at all. And yeah, your right. I do need to know more about commands, and its seems to me im actually WILLING to commit to that. So what the problem is?

Not using every source of information in your reach.

Admin from hell
0 0

Sorry there shitbag I don't spoonfeed people who won't help themselves. If you would have actually tried you could have done this in minutes. There are articles and lots of forum post already. this challenge is below noob level.

0 0

I couldn't agree with you more Korg. Im just a noob, and I admit to that. I am a 15 year old kid. Hense, kid. But I have the desire to better myself with computers and.. And now im actually starting to get the bigger picture. You absolutely right, this challenge isn't for me yet, until I can do this on my own.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

i know where the passwd file is, but i cant seem to get it. i dont see why my command isnt working.

0 0

from what i remember you only have to use 2 different commands in this challenge, and they're pretty basic… you probably have it right but you're just not typing it correctly.. there's alot of help in the articles so you should maybe check them out..

Admin from hell
0 0

@chronicburst.. I respect you for that,Do use all a favour if your stuck Google the shit out of what you need to know,Check things onsite like articles,forums. If your still stuck then and only then post in the forums. Research this yourself if your still stuck I will help you just PM me. But try yourself first.

Dig the smileys~!

0 0

Okay, thank your Korg and will do. And, I do apologize for calling you a pussy, that was just my thick headed-ness talking. Ok, well I need to get working on these challenges.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

i'm trying to do c** //*** but the problem is the slashes since they disconnect you. i tried breaking it up by doing cd *** then c** ****** but it wouldnt let me change to the *** directory.

0 0

Yeah, I have tried that, and then retried it again. It doesn't work. I have mixed it up quite a bit.

Admin from hell
0 0

Your still over thinking this ….. cd "directory" when your there how do you open it to read it. Read the old forums!!!

0 0

The key thing to remember about these challenges is that, in some way, they actually do resemble real-life situations. This one is emulating a certain set of commands for a certain use. Though the challenge is simulated, the general considerations do not change: use the commands as they would be used in actuality, or use them as close as possible. Also, remember that certain command interfaces are more limited than others.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

i just got it. now i feel stupid. i was doing all the right commands, i was just doing them from the wrong place. i was in the home directory, not root directory.

0 0

The whole time thats all I seem to be saying to myself. "Don't I need to be in the root directory." But I didn't hear anything about it. Well I am busy as hell. Plus I have damn saturday detention tomarrow. Which blows.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: i just got it. now i feel stupid. i was doing all the right commands, i was just doing them from the wrong place. i was in the home directory, not root directory.

This is what everyone else will say once they do a decent amount of research on the chosen methods in the challenge. Don't just try a whole lot of stuff and run to the forums… focus on the subject that has to contain the solution, then learn about it and pound away at the challenge.

0 0

YES! I got into the /hm directory. Now I am working my way though.

I DID IT!!! thanks guys.