Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

root challenge 1

0 0

right so ive been trying to work this out all night, to no avail, so far ive got into ezekials home directory, ive read every thread about rooting 1 but i still can't move to different file directories, let alone get into etc

please help

0 0

try going 1 step at a time

0 0

right ive got to the /etc directory but i dont know where to go from there!

any help?

0 0

what do you want that's in that directory? how can you get it?

thinkthinkthink.

0 0

well, i have got into the directory /etc/ but the main point is ftp command also allows you to list the files in directory by ls command…but here whenever im trying to view the list of files by ls command, it says connection lost…

Am i doin any wrong or is there any other way ?

0 0

I haven't done this challenge yet, but try the windows command for listing the contents of a directory

0 0

u mean dir command ..that doesn work either…any ideas guys…

0 0

As it is simulated, the challenge is going to be VERY strict on command precision. Try mapping out what you're trying to do, then write down different ways that you can accomplish it. For instance, there is more than one way to list the contents of a directory, right?

0 0

u mean ls is the other way bt that doesn work either…well i knw that there s file passwd which i have to view now in /etc/ .. i guess im rite..bt then cat commands also doesn work..oh gooood… this is driving me crazy…

nobody
0 0

The cat command is actually working. It might be you're trying it with a wrong file. You can PM me with what you had tried.

0 0

thinkinstein wrote: u mean ls is the other way bt that doesn work either…well i knw that there s file passwd which i have to view now in /etc/ .. i guess im rite..bt then cat commands also doesn work..oh gooood… this is driving me crazy…

No, I didn't mean "ls" is the other way. I meant: There is more than one way to use a single directory listing command to list the files in a directory. Right? From inside the directory, and from outside…

Also, try variations of the cat command; depending on your current working directory, you may have a couple choices with that, too.