Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Layer 7 Firewall

0 0

What would you recommend?

I know Comodo Firewall has a decent reputation

0 0

EDIT I was wrong. It was antivirus, not firewall (apparently there's multiple things called Comodo-somthing)

On a side note: I'm wondering if there's a OS or firewall that actively shows you a list of connections (kinda like wireshark), but has you approve them one by one. I mean, it'd need to be more detailed than just saying "TCP, UDP" etc. Like what programs are requesting, to whom, etc. However, I imagine it'd get kinda chaotic, but it'd be interesting to have complete control over what does what. I heard Qubes does something kinda like that, maybe. I haven't really looked into it yet.

0 0

Yeah, but that would get annoying.

Look into Smoothwall and if you have an extra computers laying around install and configure Smoothwall on it; then hook it up before your router. Only if you do not have a hardware based firewall installed already of course lol

I'm sure Smoothwall will run fine without much configuration (dynamic protocols), but there are a lot of settings you can play with.

After that is running you can also install a layer 7 firewall on your local machine; set it on a strict setting that notifies you of incoming and outgoing connections. That will give you the option to accept or decline each one manually.

You can turn a computer into a brick, but its usability goes way down!

10 9

The eset nod32 anti-virus I use has a built in firewall, it has a hamdy interactive mode that alerts you via a pop up when any inbound or outbound connections are made, it shows domain names IPs and ports, as well as the program making the request, and lets you allow or deny them.

0 0

Thanks for that input.

I just got done looking at their website looks like a good host-based intrusion detection system.

0 0

Comodo Internet Security have a good firewall and antivirus. It's not a bad solution

0 0

No it's not a bad solution, you can also change your DNS to theirs as well.