Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

0 0

Okay, if this is a stupid question or has already been posted, please [politely] redirect me in the right direction. Thanks! Okay, hypothetically… If i attempt to scan (nessus or nmap or something similar) a network is there a way that that network can trace my ip or something? And if there is, is there another way that i can prevent that or see that they are? Thanks!

0 0

I do not think you can get in trouble for scanning a network. Unless it is a deep enough probe to bridge the DoS mark.

Python Ninja
0 0

Dude, "can they get my IP?"

HAHAHAHAH

ftp bounce scans you can't but they don't work any more.

You can spoof your IP, but that's pretty useless, since return packets aren't returned to you.

Best bet is to scan with like 10 spoofed IP's with yours in the middle, but that makes for 10x the traffic and 10x the time.

0 0

SANTA wrote: I do not think you can get in trouble for scanning a network. Unless it is a deep enough probe to bridge the DoS mark.and if it does bridge the DoS mark? Anything i can do?

0 0

simple_server wrote: and if it does bridge the DoS mark? Anything i can do?

You can never do it again and learn a lesson.

Though, unless your target is a government/corporate network, and unless you REALLY scanned the living shit out of it, you should be fine.

0 0

What seems more likely to me is that your ISP will see you are using "hacking tools" and cut you off. If you go through a proxy server, all they will see is that you went to a proxy server ;). But I assume the proxy would be able to see everything.

You can try it from a public location like a cyber cafe or hop on a wireless.

And if your next step is using security/exploit tools on the network, I think you can create a DOS condition. Do your tests slowly. The FBI become involved in tracing EVERY (reported) DOS. It's possible I'm off on a couple facts though.