Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Signature Competition!

:(
80 120

Here's the idea- you will be supplied with an image later on in the post. You will take said image and weave it into some sort of signature that can be used in a public forum. You will then send your sig design to me (fourstring04@aol.com) so that no one will see it and steal your ideas. On February 1st, the submissions will be posted in the forum and, depending on the number of participants, a vote will be held to determine a grand master and the next two in line.

That's right, here at HBH we realize how important it is to compliment your frosty, mechanical coding expertise with the elegance of combining colors and images into something that people want to look at. This competition serves purposes twofold: to inspire you to look into the more graphical side of designing images (and in turn, websites), and you get to create a kick-ass signature that you can use for… whatever, should you choose.

The winners will be granted challenge points in the following distribution:

1st place - 75 points
2nd place - 50 points
3rd place - 25 points

Now for the fun part. Rules.

1. You must use a recognizable piece of the supplied image. Throwing in a pixel here or there and calling it a day may be hilarious, but it will be promptly disqualified. And you will then be shot.

2. You can submit as many ideas as you like, but know that the less original a work is, the less likely it is to win so don't ruin your odds by stupidly submitting the same thing fifteen thousand times.

3. Your submission cannot contain any reference to your name. This is to keep the votes based strictly on the art itself, rather than who submitted it. If you save the Photoshop/GIMP/Paint file, you can always add it in later, if you want.

4. The maximum image size is 300x700, but it's recommended that you stay below as this is quite large.

5. Deadline is February 1st. Meet it, or die.

And, without further ado, the image.

Enjoy

0 0

Are there no clean renders of those guys -_-, or do we get to cut them out ourselves?

80 120

Wouldn't want to spoil the fun, would I?

Admin from hell
0 0

Damnit I suck at graphics, I give it a go. We just need to use some portion of the image supplied or the whole thing and rework it.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

@korg - You only need to use some recognizable piece of the image.

I'll be sure to get in on this. Good luck to all participants :).

0 0

that picture is fucking epic anyways

Banned
0 0

Damn, I spent two hours on this :o Sending my entry :) Edit: I chose the guy on the left to start with :D Edit2: Got the other one done :D :D :D

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

What About animated Gifs

0 0

I'm in :D

80 120

SET wrote: What About animated Gifs I… don't see why not. Go for it.

Oh, and I received yours, hellboundhackersok. So far I fully support it as the single most awesome first submission I've ever gotten in this competition since I started it yesterday.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: no point doing this twice if you're happy with this feel free to use it achillies cut out roughly

Thank you! I think you just got me motivated enough to actually try it :) My graphic skills aren't the best, so I'll probably get destroyed though.

Banned
0 0

Futility wrote: Oh, and I received yours, hellboundhackersok. So far I fully support it as the single most awesome first submission I've ever gotten in this competition since I started it yesterday.

I hope that's a good thing :right: :D

0 0

Im in got nuttin better to do :P

80 120

SHIT! I just used my 666th post as a lame old bump! What the hell is wrong with me?!

0 0

Hopefully Photoshop still loves me…

btw thanks for sharing your render wolfmankurd!

0 0

:evil:

A wild Lemur appears!

Most of the way done on this one. Pen tool works better than a polygonal lasso for cutouts by the way.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: And I was always told to use the pen tool, but it's an extra right-click, and I'm lazy.

You're supposed to use the pen tool with a drawing tablet.

0 0

Whoops forgot about this.

You know tablets are getting really cheap these days mine was, but it's only like 6 inches by 5? or something it's more than enough for having some fun. Think I picked it up for under £20. Bit glitchy under X though.

80 120

Alright you guys- there's only a single month remaining for you to get off your asses and make something. I've kept up my end of the bargain and have successfully received a whole eight submissions. Now it's time for you guys to do the honorable thing and start submitting those signatures.

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: is nudity aloud? Yea it's making one hell of a racket, I wish it'd keep it down. I don't think it's allowed though, Futility is abstaining from such things, she's such a prude.

755 14

you mean she is a she? i don't understand… :(

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: you mean she is a she? i don't understand… :( I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I think that yea, that's what I mean. Though my main point was: no nudity.

0 0

If you make one with nudity please post it for a laugh. Just submit a "regular" one.

Come on sheeple, what's wrong with tits?

Banned
0 0

Futility: Are there any more entries you've received?

80 120

The-Scarecrow wrote: is nudity aloud? While I'm not really sure how nudity plus two male Greek heroes could ever equal a good idea, I don't really like the thought of limiting your ideas. However, given the circumstances, the only reason I could see you asking this question is because you want to make some sort of lame joke submission that you think everyone'll vote for because it surprisingly has boobies and is therefor hilarious. Unfortunately, the only part that would be 'funny' is the surprise of running into it and since you just ruined the surprise by broadcasting your idea into this thread, I would strongly urge you against against doing so.

And yes, hellboundhackersok, I have received a submission since the reminder.

Apparently Cheese agrees:

From the Rules thread

• do not post any illegal / adult material Not sure how illegal ties in with adult enough to merit a backslashination, but there you have it.

755 14

since when did nudity mean boobies? especially since both the characters are male… wouldn't it be a more logical conclusion that i was meaning male appendages?

Also. Futility are you like… a girl?

Retired
10 0

Have you not noticed that she PMSs alot?

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: Also. Futility are you like… a girl? This question has been answered, YES, Futility is a girl. Now could you drop it, I honestly don't see why it should matter so much to you. See this is exactly why she's not telling everyone. Now, could everyone please stop with the nudity discussion, Futility has clearly stated what she thinks about submitting such a thing along with reminding you of the site rules. So let's try to keep this thread a bit more on-topic and serious.

KvK

0 0

Hey, I was just wondering if any of my submissions have been received. A reassuring response email would have been nice, or even a PM, but seeing as how I didn't receive any sort of message as to the verification of my submissions, I thought it be best to simply ask here. :happy:

755 14

Its just that where i'm from i've never seen a female operate a mouse…,

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

The answer is no nudity. Any more talk on the subject will result in warn. This should be pretty common sense guys.

Admin from hell
0 0

ynori7 wrote: The answer is no nudity. Any more talk on the subject will result in warn. This should be pretty common sense guys.

Agreed, Keep this on-topic for submission question only, Or there will be some asswhoopin'.

80 120

Alrighty you guys, the deadline grows near and I felt like it'd be as good a time as any to remind you about this. I now have a good eleven entries ready to go, one in its final stages, and a few caught somewhere in purgatory (that means you, wolfy)- so get on your asses, ignore any school/work you might feel committed to, and get cracking on this. You know you want to.

0 0

I may enter if I find the time next week to do it!

0 0

mrmatt wrote: I may enter if I find the time next week to do it! I would be quick about that… Deadline's the first, right?

0 0

I have PM'd you my submissions.

Retired
10 0

If the hbh logo competition was any clue, I'd say <20 and low quality on most. But, I will stay optimistic. I know that I actually tried on mine. Hopefully, everyone who bothered to submit, also did.

80 120

We're looking at 17 submissions as of right now, and their quality is… directly proportional to the amount of effort put into them. If you wanted a real answer then you're outta luck. It's not my job to judge and critique them- that's what you guys are here for.

80 120

Did I just bump this thread again? You're damn right, I did! The deadline is only four days away and if you want to meet it, you better kick things up a notch. I know I said I had 17 submissions, but I forgot that one didn't fit the rules of the competition so I can't count it. Moral of the story is that I now find myself with a whopping 16! This means that if you have an idea- any idea at all- go ahead and submit it. You have a chance.

0 0

Just sent my artwork. I'm definitely gonna win this!!!!!

80 120

stranac wrote: Just sent my artwork. I'm definitely gonna win this!!!!! There's the attitude!

Too bad the work ethic isn't anywhere to be seen…

0 0

Futility wrote: [quote]stranac wrote: Just sent my artwork. I'm definitely gonna win this!!!!! There's the attitude!

Too bad the work ethic isn't anywhere to be seen…[/quote]

What are you suggesting? <lie>I spent hours making that.</lie>

80 120

This is it, folks: you've spent the past two months patiently waiting for this day, hoping against hope that Futility would actually meet a deadline. You've spent hours debating whether you should actually expect to log into HBH to find the contestants to this competition posted and ready to be judge, hours deciding how you would go about life should they not be.

Well it is my pleasure to announce that, yes, I have done it. The submissions are as follows, but first- some ground rules. You will be given until the end of next Monday to cast your vote for your favorite entry, and the one with the most votes will win. Pretty simple stuff, if you ask me.

Oh! And if there is a single post after this one that's offtopic, offkelter, or just plain offSTUPID, I will make it my primary function to get really angry and maybe even throw a few death threats your way, followed by a quick PM to an admin to have it removed and you warned.

And, without further ado, I give you- your signature competition:

http://hbhsigcomp.t35.com/

(For some reason everything but the .png ones are stupid so you're going to have to copy/paste them. I'll try to fix things up a bit after school. I'm so very sorry.)

EDIT: Fixed. Not sure what was wrong with them, but if I typed the url manually then it worked and they suddenly worked for the links as well. If anybody else has the problem, click the link, then click the url bar and hit enter, then it works. -ynori7

EDIT AGAIN: Not sure why I didn't just do this in the first place. Just use that to traverse through the images. -Futility (again)

Let the voting…. commence!

0 0

I think number 3 is even better than mine. (Not that it's as artistically profound, but still pretty good).

Yes, that was a vote.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Well, since voting for your own is lame I'm gonna go with #3.

Retired
10 0

My votes for 17.

KvK

0 0

My vote goes to #1.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

KvK wrote: My vote goes to #1.

Mine too.

Banned
0 0

I too think it is lame to vote for my own. With this in mind, I had a really tough decision with the final 4 I picked. After carefully looking at them, I pick #7 as my decision.

0 0

Not sure if voting is limited to participants, but I like number 3.

0 0

Just something I noticed: 9.jpg gives a 404

KvK

0 0

stranac wrote: Just something I noticed: 9.jpg gives a 404

I had the same issue with a few of the links. I simply resorted to viewing them all from here: http://hbhsigcomp.t35.com/

80 120

tkearn5000 wrote: Not sure if voting is limited to participants, but I like number 3. Of course it's not limited to participants. They did their part, now it's up to everyone else to award them for doing so. So please, anyone- everyone- cast your vote for the signature you feel is the most… whatever. Most brilliant, most mind boggling, most totally wicked sweet, man- I don't care about your rational, as long as you post your vote, it'll be counted.

stranac wrote: Just something I noticed: 9.jpg gives a 404 That's the problem I spoke of in my original post. You know- the one ynori said he fixed? Anyway, all you have to do is click on the URL and press enter. Or copy/paste it rather than clicking the link here on HBH.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Futility wrote: You know- the one ynori said he fixed? Anyway, all you have to do is click on the URL and press enter. Or copy/paste it rather than clicking the link here on HBH. I had thought I had fixed it because all the links started working for me, but then I went back and re-edited my edit because after I reopened the browser the links stopped working again. Just click the URL bar and hit enter and they work. That's what I found to be the easiest workaround.

0 0

I'm going to go with 13. 6 is definitely the most retarded though:D

0 0

Futility wrote: It would be cool if someone could post their vote here rather than wasting space complaining about trivialities. I'll see what I can do.

Alright, sure. My vote, although the border sucks, the font sucks and the lighting leaves much to be desired, number 3.

80 120

C'mon you guys- this is the last day and so far I'm very disappointed in the voter turnout. Seriously, all you have to do is press the "Post Reply" button, type a number into the message box and press 'Post Reply' again. Is it really that hard? You lose (what?) a minute of your life? And that's assuming you actually look through all the submissions.

Anyway, good luck to the contestants and I'll have the results posted tomorrow.

0 0

i vote for nr. 7 :D

Retired
10 0

Quick stat report:

**3** - *6*
 **7** - *2*
 **1** - *2*
 **13** - *2*
 **6** - *1*
 **17** - *1*```

EDIT: You missed a vote for #1 and a vote for #13. -ynori7

0 0

10 by a long shot. (time constraints on my part on this one.)

0 0

There was only one 13 before, ynori, now there are two. I vote for number 1.

0 0

COM wrote: There was only one 13 before, ynori, now there are two. Then there 3 know I like 13 too.

0 0

I vote for #15…the colors are awesome!!!!!

0 0

15th……

2,795 1

I vote 15…

0 0

I personally prefer signature #4, it has my vote.

80 120

Knowing me and what a stickler I am for deadlines, I bet you're wondering why I'm now a little over a day late posting the results. Well the answer is actually quite simple, really- we have a giant tie. And by giant tie, i mean that in a few short moments, you'll be reading the names of roughly half the contestants as the winners. I thought that by waiting it out, I'd give the stragglers some time to show up, vote, and hopefully break things up a bit. Unfortunately, the past two days have only made it worse so… well, here it goes. The votes are as follows:

#3 received 7 votes #1 received 3 votes #7 received 3 votes #13 received 3 votes #15 received 3 votes #6 received 1 vote #10 received 1 vote #17 received 1 vote #4 received 1 vote

What does this mean, exactly? Well…

In first: #3 Created By: KvK

In second: #1 Created By: Bl4ckC4t #7 Created By: Yours31f #13 Created By: t7r0n3 #15 Created By: tbaybucs

In third: #6 Created By: MoshBat #10 Created By: Monster #17 Created By: ynori7 #4 Created By: KvK

Congrats, you guys. I can't really tell you when to expect your prizes, but I'd assume it'll be soon. Thanks for participating.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Futility wrote: Congrats, you guys. I can't really tell you when to expect your prizes, but I'd assume it'll be soon. Thanks for participating. Done. And watching the voting was definitely more fun than the competition itself :P.

Banned
0 0

Futility wrote: Knowing me and what a stickler I am for deadlines, I bet you're wondering why I'm now a little over a day late posting the results. Well the answer is actually quite simple, really- we have a giant tie. And by giant tie, i mean that in a few short moments, you'll be reading the names of roughly half the contestants as the winners. I thought that by waiting it out, I'd give the stragglers some time to show up, vote, and hopefully break things up a bit. Unfortunately, the past two days have only made it worse so… well, here it goes. The votes are as follows:

[quote]#3 received 7 votes #1 received 3 votes #7 received 3 votes #13 received 3 votes #15 received 3 votes #6 received 1 vote #10 received 1 vote #17 received 1 vote #4 received 1 vote

What does this mean, exactly? Well…

In first: #3 Created By: KvK

In second: #1 Created By: Bl4ckC4t #7 Created By: Yours31f #13 Created By: t7r0n3 #15 Created By: tbaybucs

In third: #6 Created By: MoshBat #10 Created By: Monster #17 Created By: ynori7 #4 Created By: KvK

Congrats, you guys. I can't really tell you when to expect your prizes, but I'd assume it'll be soon. Thanks for participating.[/quote]

What kind of prizes will be receiving, may I ask?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

You got 50 points. Said in the original post and in the news entry on the main page.

0 0

a t shirt would kick ass !!!!

Ninja Extreme
0 0

tbaybucs wrote: a t shirt would kick ass !!!!

Were still waiting on clothing and posters from the last graphics competition, aren't we?

0 0

yes but id rather have tho old one X-large i might add :P

Admin from hell
0 0

Well maybe It's me but how the hell can you have 4 2nd and 3rd place winners. Why wasn't a re-vote taken on the 2nd place ties and recounted to determine the final winners. This was more of just handing out points for entering. There should be only one first, second and third places IMO. Poorly handled. :angry:

Admin from hell
0 0

MoshBat wrote: It was handled beautifully, for HBH.

My point is you can't have 18 entries and 9 winners, It's more like a free for all.

Banned
0 0

ynori7 wrote: You got 50 points. Said in the original post and in the news entry on the main page.

Ah, Thank you.

80 120

korg wrote: Well maybe It's me but how the hell can you have 4 2nd and 3rd place winners. Why wasn't a re-vote taken on the 2nd place ties and recounted to determine the final winners. This was more of just handing out points for entering. There should be only one first, second and third places IMO. Poorly handled. :angry: Should have been, would have been, could have been. The fact of the matter is that I spoke with various other members and they felt that trying to artificially create some more enthusiasm for a competition that few members even bothered to partake in the first time around would be akin to pulling out shark's teeth. With a Barbie doll.

If there were real prizes on the line- something with actual real-world value- there definitely would have been a re-vote. But, as this is a site based around learning, why not congratulate (almost) all those that made an effort? If someone voted for them, then they obviously did something right. If they did something right, they obviously learned something, right? Isn't that what points are for? To show that you've learned something?

I'll agree that the results weren't optimal, but the handling of such things ultimately comes down to a case by case judgment call, and in this case I feel as though I made the right one.

:angry:

Admin from hell
0 0

Futility Stated:
If there were real prizes on the line- something with actual real-world value- there definitely would have been a re-vote.

You mean HBH points aren't worth anything? Awe man that pisses me off now. I see your point and the whole pulling shark's teeth with a Barbie doll bit made me laugh like hell. I guess those who got votes can have a little something for their effort. Good call in the end. :p

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

korg wrote: Well maybe It's me but how the hell can you have 4 2nd and 3rd place winners. Why wasn't a re-vote taken on the 2nd place ties and recounted to determine the final winners. This was more of just handing out points for entering. There should be only one first, second and third places IMO. Poorly handled. :angry: I doubt a revote would have done much of anything but waste time. Pretty sure at this point that people were doing this on purpose.

Retired
10 0

Maybe next time have someone host a private ballot?