Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Installing Linux

0 0

If I install Linux on a Windows XP computer, will it mess anything up?

0 0

check in that linux's distro if in the installation includes a partition program (they usually do) if not get partition magic and keep one for windows and one for your linux.

ubuntu has and i think fedora too (ubuntu.com, fedora.redhat.com)

OR you can go to start>run>cmd> type format C: and enjoy (jk dont try this)

0 0

Depends. If you set up linux properly then no.

Read up on dual boot configurations.

0 0

just fake the id with FF

0 0

or use a live cd

0 0

ubuntu FTW i just did the same method as basic 3 (hope not to spoil)

0 0

The windows-boot-manager will overwrite the "GRUB" (file which makes linux start) And the GRUB and overwrite the windows boot manager, BUT you can use the "super grub iso disk"

http://www.linux.com/articles/113863

More info there

0 0

Try and find a distro that also has a LiveCD. So you can try it before you install. I used Ubuntu and hated it. Tried Slax but was just a sexy face.

Now I Love PCLOS! w00t!

0 0

Codenaur2 wrote: The windows-boot-manager will overwrite the "GRUB" (file which makes linux start) And the GRUB and overwrite the windows boot manager, BUT you can use the "super grub iso disk"

http://www.linux.com/articles/113863

More info there

Umm… okay. Windows is installed first, Linux will be installed after that. GRUB will be stored in the MBR, overwriting the "windows-boot-manager". However, GRUB already has the functionality to boot Windows as well… as phantom said, read up on "dual boot". You don't need any special tools.

0 0

NEVER install win after lin, or you'll have to reinstall the bootloader. Many linux distros come with grub, the newer version, and most come with lilo. I prefer grub.

If you want to try it before installing, get one with LiveCD so you can boot from CD and try it out for a while. It also depends on hardware; I use Xubuntu and DamnSmallLinux on my amd 650mhz system, whereas on my new computer I'll probably go with slackware or fedora.

If it's about a challenge, download damnsmalllinux (~50mb) and boot from LiveCD. It's how I did it :p because I don't have internet on my other box. Damn parents…