Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

New Challenge

Ph4n70m
0 0

Me and ZoDoom thought of a new idea for a challenge. Basically, There's a basic site with a little bit of content, and the idea is for you to improve it as much as you can.

The more you improve it, the more the points awarded. Your only allowed to use PHP and HTML.

This is only an idea, and we're asking whether you think it's a good idea or a bad one. And for ideas to add to it or take away.

Cheers, Parker & ZoDoom

The Manager
0 0

Question listing:

1. How would you govern this?
  2. Who would decide if it is an improvement?
  3. Why are you trying to get a website built for you secretly?
  4. Why do you think this would be a good idea?
  5. What is the point of this? "improvements" are basically what one person thinks is better. Everyone is different!

Please let me know what you think.

Ph4n70m
0 0

AldarHawk wrote: Question listing:

1. How would you govern this?
  2. Who would decide if it is an improvement?
  3. Why are you trying to get a website built for you secretly?
  4. Why do you think this would be a good idea?
  5. What is the point of this? "improvements" are basically what one person thinks is better. Everyone is different!

Please let me know what you think.

1. People do the challenge, and a request get sent to Me, ZoDoom or the Admins.

2. Above

3. Im not, it was just an idea

4. 'Cause it would test peoples knowledge of PHP and HTML, and it should be interesting to see what differant ideas people have for improving the site.

5. 'Everone is different' , Exactly

0 0

I like it. it could be it's own category not just in the other challenges.

you could call it web development challenges.

it would teach people who do the challenge to build rather than to break down site like in the realistic.

you could multiple challenges if you think of it.

1. could be a bare shitty looking site and your jobs is to add more pazsaz to the sites appearance.

2. could be a site that has been hacked or in danger of being hacked, OR you were hired to fix holes in the site and your job is to fix the script, (like a realistic version of the web patching challenges)

3. could be to create a web site from scratch. of course there would be an outline of what would be expected for the challenge.

4. could be to create a system so the site can have members and have a scoring system.

all these would of course require a submission to the admins to be reviewed before points would be issued.

The Manager
0 0
  1. could be a site that has been hacked or in danger of being hacked, OR you were hired to fix holes in the site and your job is to fix the script, (like a realistic version of the web patching challenges)

How would this be done? give everyone their own FTP site to work on this? Please be realistic…It is easy to have someone find the flaws in a site but giving people access to fix it is totally different.

1. could be to create a system so the site can have members and have a scoring system. all these would of course require a submission to the admins to be reviewed before points would be issued. Again how would the submissions work? This is a project bound to fail IMHO.

0 0

yeah this really does Phail.:angry:

Ph4n70m
0 0

fallingmidget wrote:

you could call it web development challenges.

it would teach people who do the challenge to build rather than to break down site like in the realistic.

you could multiple challenges if you think of it.

1. could be a bare shitty looking site and your jobs is to add more pazsaz to the sites appearance.

2. could be a site that has been hacked or in danger of being hacked, OR you were hired to fix holes in the site and your job is to fix the script, (like a realistic version of the web patching challenges)

3. could be to create a web site from scratch. of course there would be an outline of what would be expected for the challenge.

4. could be to create a system so the site can have members and have a scoring system.

all these would of course require a submission to the admins to be reviewed before points would be issued.

Yeah, i agree.. I know it's going to be difficult, but if we tryed and put some effort into it, i think it could work..

Any Admins wanna say anything?

Parker

The Manager
0 0

Parker: Have you ever run a website?

Ph4n70m
0 0

AldarHawk wrote: Parker: Have you ever run a website?

Yeah, i have

0 0

I'm not saying give everyone there own ftp and personal site. There would be a site (like in the tracking 2) that instead of being hacked is in danger of being hacked and you have to find and fix the vulnerabilities. you wouldn't actually have authority to change the site but you would send a submission (like in the logical challenges) to one of the admins to give you points accordingly.

don't say the admin wouldn't have time to do this because if they didn't have time they wouldn't be have cons to go get drunk off of.

Retired
10 0

i think you should make it a download (or give the script) and make them edit it themselves and sent you the "updated Script". Then you could judge it and asses points based on the amount of things done to it.

0 0

I believe this could be done. It should probably be similar to the realistic challenges where theres a site that you can visit and view the source etc, but also like the logical challenges where the answer to the problem would have to be submitted for review. Like fallingmidget said similar to a patching challenge but more of a realistic feel, I think that would be a really cool challenge to test your skills on how much you know about web servers or designing a web site in general.

yours31f wrote: i think you should make it a download (or give the script) and make them edit it themselves and sent you the "updated Script". Then you could judge it and asses points based on the amount of things done to it.

That is also a really good idea. But I don't know if the admins would have the time/patients to go through all the code being submitted.. Especially if someone got to outrageous with it. :o

Retired
10 0

well they could just resave it as .html and view it. just a thought.

0 0

It'd be kinda hard to judge, I think it suits better as a competition than a regular challenge ^^

0 0

i think its a good idea but i agree with uber0n, it would be better as a competition more then being a challenge.

Ph4n70m
0 0

SwartMumba wrote: Think of that "basic site" as HBH. Improve it by adding content, challenges, finding vulnerabilities, coding extra features, etc to the site. When you do so, you get rewarded in some way, whether it be community points, challenges points, recognition.

Yeah, i like the idea..

unless your intentions were to form a group of cronies and build your own site.

Nahh, Like i said, it was only an idea.. i just wondered what other people thought about it. If i wanted my own site, i'd build one loll

Uber0n wrote: It'd be kinda hard to judge, I think it suits better as a competition than a regular challenge ^^

I also think that might be a good idea.. Would anyone be up for it? If it was a competition?

Parker

0 0

i would be but i can't code PHP so ide be stuck with HTML :P

Ph4n70m
0 0

Would it be better if everyone had to be w3 compliant (XHTML + CSS)? (Systems idea)

0 0

Hello me and parker have talked more about the "new challenge". We think it would be best if we made it limited someway, that way people arnt just adding all kinds of stuff becuase there is so much you could add and then it comes to the problem of using the admins time checking loads of submissions from loads of people. We wouldnt have that problem if we limited it as objectives. The objectives could be in a 3 step process. For example: 1. Add something 2. find vunrabilities 3. patch it.

At point 1, "adding something", Maybe a secure PHP+SQL login script or something. At Point 2, "find vunrabilities", Finding a vunrability in the site. At Point 3, "patch it", patching the vunrability in the site and making it secure.

Let us know what you think! ;)

Thanks ZoDoom !

0 0

NeT_DeMoN wrote: i would be but i can't code PHP so ide be stuck with HTML :P

Or you could use it as a chance to learn some php :happy: php is surprisingly power full, definitely worth taking the time to learn.

Retired
10 0

I agree. Just like my programs.

Banned
0 0

You guys are taking dynamic statical programs to a new level. THIS IS NOT A COMPLIMENT.

You are going to make a closed environment, where the learning opportunity is optimally minimized.

This is not a good idea.

Stop your miserable attempts to re-create something that has been written over and OVER and try to create something good. Actually learn whilst teaching, instead teaching while you HAVE to learn.

Or something. I dunno, I just don't like the idea.

Retired
10 0

and no one like you so…

0 0

yours31f wrote: and no one like you so…

He often has a good point. You may not like what he writes, but you can't speak for everyone else on the forum ^^

Retired
10 0

ok so he has a good point ONCE IN A WHILE. And no but just the majority.

0 1

on first impressions I can see how practical, fair and accessible way to implement this type of challenge. considering it will HAVE to be all automated.

if you can setup a working example on how this would work, I would be interested to see it.

However, from what I've read above… this wont work.

but… prove me wrong :)

Retired
10 0

I would be willing to beta test it.

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

yours31f wrote: ok so he has a good point ONCE IN A WHILE. And no but just the majority.

I like spy :)

0 0

Hi, myself and parker would like to thank everyone who has posted. We have taken into account all the opinions of everyone and there ideas, we will be going ahead with this challenge and provide Mr_Cheese an automated prototype of the challenge, so thankyou again everyone for your input, please feel free to share more ideas if you wish.

Also any questions regarding this challenge please pm myself or parker via hbh.

Many Thanks

ZoDoom & Parker;)

0 0

Hello im writing to inform everyone about the challenge progress. The challenge is sadly still at stage one as far as im aware. I have not been able to logg on much i have been very busy outside of hbh dealing with family matters. Sorry about the wait this is the first oportunity ive had to let everyone how it is going. Im hopeing things will get rolling with this challenge becuase it is a very good idea in my opinion. I was also wondering if there was anyone that would be intrested in helping to build this. We already have the idea now we just have to put the idea into practice. It will be tough im sure to make this type of challenge as i dont think it has been done before.

I dont know much about programming but im willing to learn, that is why i was thinking on making a team of people to develop this. It would take alot longer for me if i was just making it Or & parker. While learning at the same time as making it.

So please post and let me know if you think you would like to build this as a team.

Many Thanks ZoDoom