Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Cisco 2501 Assistance needed

0 0

Hey again. I could use a hand here with a Cisco 2501 firewall. I have it connected to my computer via console cable and its on, the Hyper Terminal reads it however I do not know the address of the firewall. I am wondering if I could boot up Backtrack and crack out the Cisco tools? Will the system be able to read the firewall or will I need to direct connect it via console cable. Well confused man in need of help. Check up on this a little later. I am just trying to get the address I guess, so I can edit my settings to be on the same network with it. Well okay..

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Hey again. I could use a hand here with a Cisco 2501 firewall. I have it connected to my computer via console cable and its on, the Hyper Terminal reads it however I do not know the address of the firewall.

Rollover cable… connected to the console port. Oh, and just so we know how to answer what, what are you trying to achieve? If you already have console port access, what else are you trying to do?

If you want to find the internal IP of the firewall, fire up Cain and use its sniffer. If you're trying to find the external one, you'd either have to access it from outside that interface (the router or a machine inside a DMZ composed of that firewall and one other) or you'd have to check out the configuration on the firewall.

0 0

Well I will need to login. And I cannot get the credentials until Thursday. I could wait. But I would really love to learn something new. Any cracking methods efficient enough or are they fairly a secure product. Pending on configuration.

0 0

Restore defaults: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Networking_Hardware/Routers/Q_22390518.html

Be sure to use NoScript in FF so that you can scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the answers… since their method of obscuring (JS) is teh suxx0rz.

Setting the configuration register: http://www.tech-faq.com/cisco-password-recovery.shtml

This way is SO much easier than cracking the pass, but you can always fool with Cisco cracking tools to get your kicks, too.

0 0

Awesome, thanks so much. I got to get working. Any idea how secure they are on average. Not that there is such thing as average. But default, any good or is Cisco low grade?

0 0

Cisco is one of VERY few industry standards, and is quite possibly the most well-known name in network equipment. It also manufactures Linksys SOHO network equipment, so a higher standard can be expected of Linksys now.

How secure are they? Recent versions of the IOS seem to handle quite well but, if you want a good read on some good ol' life-changing Cisco IOS vulns, Google up "Michael Lynn" and "Blackhat"… he made a presentation that was the center of a great deal of controversy. Also, it's a very sexy read, if you can find the presentation online. :)

0 0

I reckon my school uses IOS 5 and 6. Running several Cisco products. Also I will not be able to start over with this firewall because I have to have the login credentials so I can make my computer recognize it and I can get the IP and configure it with my subnet so this will all work out. If only it were easier.

0 0

Everything is easy when you know the questions to ask. Anyways, the fun problems are the ones that require thought.

Password Recovery for Cisco 2500 series; http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_password_recovery09186a0080094795.shtml

I'm usually not this free with links but, on this subject, I could see it being a bit difficult to find what you're looking for. Anyways, this information is of interest to anyone seeking to exploit slightly dated Cisco equipment.

0 0

Awesome. You know there Zeyph, your are quite articulate. Not because you supplied a link just overall in general. I would like to see your IQ Test results. Okay well I pretty much did all that. Now I just need to figure out how to properly configure the ip's. Because my network is all ready on a router configured to 192.168.1.1, if I setup serial0 to 192.168.2.1 and ethernet0 to 192.168.3.1 would that be good. And then configure my LAN to 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0. And 192.168.1.1 for Default Gateway.

Hmm, any of that plausible?