Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

VMware and Operating systems

0 0

Hey guys, just wondering a little about VMware. Recently got myself a copy of "VMware Workstation 6.5" and the idea of VMware is great, I was wondering which operating systems some of you may use. I am also interested in knowing what people may use the Solaris OS for. Never used her before. I am planning on just getting a copy of BT3 iso and use that. Well, await your response.

0 0

bt3 rox;

never used vmware myself, but now that you bring it up im downloading…

have a copy of solaris86 layin here, just never took time to install it either, will prolly do so as soon as i find a cpu to get this other box working thats sitting beside me…

sorry i couldn't be of more help sir.

should be interesting for the both of us though. :D

0 0

I personally have never tried VMware. Right now I'm running VirtualBox and it's running DVL right now, hoping to try a little rooting practice on it.

As for which OS it really just depends on what you want to do. If you are thinking about trying out a linux distro to maybe install then you could always try that. BT3 Is always a good one to have handy.

Mainly depends what you want to do with it. Good luck.

0 0

changed my mind, downloading virtualbox now…

thank you fashizzlepop!!

:D

0 0

VMware was really confusing to me. Virtual box is really simple and easy to use.

0 0

Virtualbox FTW!!

verry niice!!

glad you mentioned it bro!

10+ cool points to you!

:D

Running Belenix right now! B)

0 0

Whats so difficult about VM ware ? :right: It has 5 options more and you have to know which Os you're installing if you're installing it from a live CD, and if you get the VMware image, you don't even have to know that. I'm a fan of freeware just like the next guy, but Vmware has better hardware support, connections (WiFi, bluetooth…) can easily be ran from the host OS (where as you have to set most of those kind of things manually in Virtual Box and 99% of the times you have to get some shitty patch)… All in all, VMware simply has better hardware support and the "connection" between the host OS and the guest OS is much better and faster.

oh, and i think that Vmware is the only one who supports 3D layouts (like Berly) - not 100% on that one.

0 0

1632 is correct about the hardware support. Much wider rang of support. If you have a VM image you don't even need to bother opening your VMware application. Just double click it and your practically done. Name it, select the OS variant and that's about it. You may need to reduce memory usage but it will tell you and then all you have to do is hit "Yes!" or something like that. As for Solaris, anyone have any usage for it? Is it meant for randomness or running Web Servers, etc.. Mighty tired though, I will catch you all on the flip side… Also, no need for new topic. Read something about a need for monitors, if your looking for a mellow, active member to add to your staff… Well you know where my PM box is at.

0 1

Solaris is basically a UNIX variant made by Sun. It is traditionally used for their workstations and servers, but with the introduction of Linux, Sun made another version called OpenSolaris that people can install on their PCs.

This info can be found at wikipedia if any of you people ever bothered to look for it.

0 0

I use VMWare Workstation on my Windows XP box to run an Arch Linux virtual machine that I test different types of application servers on. It's handy with a second NIC because I can bridge it directly onto my network (whereas NAT would not work for allowing new connections to the virtual machine).

I also run VMWare Server on my Gentoo laptop to have a Windows XP virtual machine handy there, for testing and the occasional times I might want to run Photoshop or view how a webpage looks in IE6/IE7. Yes, I know that there is a package to install IE6 on Linux; as it is still buggy, I find the virtual machine more reliable.

I have no reason for not using Virtualbox over VMWare Workstation on the Windows machine; both are equally viable in Windows. On the Linux machine, though, bridging connections is significantly more difficult using Virtualbox than it is using VMWare. One day, I will take the time to learn how to bridge connections successfully but, as the last few attempts ended in failure, I really just needed something I knew would work. Also, I've used VMWare Server in a production environment (with CentOS), and it provided two main benefits:

1. Ease of Use
  2. VMWare Perl API

To each his/her own, though.