Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Programming Question

0 0

Normally I would ask friends to help me, but they are all offline at the moment. So my problem is that Im looking for another programming language to learn, but I dont know which one to learn, there are so many possibilities. I looked at C++. I currently work with VB, and Python, and a little Java. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

0 0

maybe C++, Java is very similar to C/C++ so U shoulnd't have problems with first lessons :)

0 0

Ok, thanks for the feedback mate. I am going to do as you say, and learn C++.

0 0

PHmaster wrote: maybe C++, Java is very similar to C/C++ so U shoulnd't have problems with first lessons :)

Err, Java is nothing like regular C. Java is completely object oriented and everything is defined in classes, where as C can not do object oriented programming at all.

But yeah C++ is probably a good choice.

0 0

Can C++ do object oriented programming?

0 0

yes

0 0

C++ is less strict OOP than Java, but still OOP at that. Friends for example.

0 0

c# and java were influenced by cpp, so the syntax is similar. And cpp is influenced by c, so again the syntax is similar. I would suggest spending about a week trying out and reading up on whatever looks interesting, or helpful. There's no need to make up your mind in 5 seconds, you may as well base it off a decent amount of research/info you've gathered.

Like sentinelhawk and Zepher_Pure said, do you know what you want to do later on? What's some of the more interesting things you've seen, do you know what you need to learn in order to get there? That's basically what programming is for, creating what you want.

and sorry for the bad grammar, it's pretty late here.

0 0

The great thing about c++ is it gives you the power of C combined with the power of Java. If you get into the job market in Computer Science related fields most companies use either Java or C++ so if you wish to continue your computer skill C++ is a great language to learn. Also C++ will allow you to fall back and use functions and headers from C which if your familiar with C it gives you a great place to start.

Retired
10 0

I went from java to c++ and the transition was so easy i couldnt believe that they were so close but were still different languages.

0 0

Java isn't completely object-oriented, because it still carries primitive types instead of full classes. But 99% is still pretty good. Just about the only main differences between C# and Java are syntax (like using vs. import).

Here's a quick list of syntax differences: http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/java1_5_csharp_comparison.html

0 0

Please, don't use C#. Go for C++ instead :o

Retired
10 0

I agree

0 0

How alike is C# to C++? I am being forced to learn C# in uni next year, obviously its nothing I really want to know, but one day il probably end up learning C++/Java, Java looks pretty similar syntax wise to C# (wicked link earlier in the thread, thanks), what about C++?

0 0

jjbutler88 wrote: How alike is C# to C++? I am being forced to learn C# in uni next year, obviously its nothing I really want to know, but one day il probably end up learning C++/Java, Java looks pretty similar syntax wise to C# (wicked link earlier in the thread, thanks), what about C++?

The only real differences that I've seen between C# and C++ are these:

(1) C# uses the .Net framework for almost all of its functionality (2) There are very small differences in how class methods are called.

Really, the biggest hurdle for any C# coder will be the .Net framework. Regardless, C# is quite the capable language and, if you are a beginner that is looking for some laid-out structure, or a Windows user that is looking for some easy-to-use functionality in your environment, then check it out. If you're looking for a mature and flexible language, though, I'd go for C++ as a permanent choice… I just use C# to toss together something I need in a pinch.