Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Hacking own computer? XD

0 0

Is it possible to run a virtual "server" on your computer to practice rooting? Just been wondering bout it!

0 0

Google vmware or virtual PC. Setup correctly, yes, you can give it its own IP and hack it just like it was a regular PC.

0 0

exactly what i was looking for! thanks a lot.

0 1

I prefer Sun's VirtualBox, as it supports more operating systems compared to Virtual PC.

0 0

Its prob cheaper to buy a P3 box and stick opensolaris on it

0 0

umm its prob not cheaper to buy a ps3.

0 0

tch0rt wrote: Its prob cheaper to buy a P3 box and stick opensolaris on it

I found one at goodwill for super cheap. ($30) So yeah thats prolly best. If you have the extra stuff to set it up on a network and junk.

0 0

Folk Theory wrote: umm its prob not cheaper to buy a ps3.

umm I belive it wasn't a ps3 they were talking about, and it said "P3," which generaly would stand for pentium 3 if I'm not mistaken.

hehehe

0 0

yea he definitally wasnt talking about PS3, but it doesnt take a good computer to run a server esecially if you have one just to practice cracking on it, my server on my network has a 700Mhz processor 300Mg ram and 20gb hdd…no monitor or anything and i bumed that one for free. and it works great for experimenting. Gah apologizes for grammer/spelling im not in the mood to care to much.

0 0

oops sorry i misread that. setting up a pentium 3 box or any box for that matter will be better, but definitely not prob cheaper. nothing beats free in cheapness and that's virutalbox's price. anyways, theyre both good ideas.

0 0

Meh I think virtual machines are the way to go here.

A ) You dont need any additional hardware

B ) You can find a ton of OS's for it (For free)

C ) Its fast loading

D ) You can have a whole network of VM's up on the same box including routers, firewalls, etc….

E ) Software is free (vmplayer legit free, vmbox legit free, vmware workstation (best imo) .. can be free ;))

I could probably go on, but I think you get the point.

0 0

plus if you hack it and screw it up, crash the virtual machine and corrupt it, you can just restore the image, will be back online in minutes, not hours.

0 0

stdio wrote: Meh I think virtual machines are the way to go here.

A ) You dont need any additional hardware

B ) You can find a ton of OS's for it (For free)

C ) Its fast loading

D ) You can have a whole network of VM's up on the same box including routers, firewalls, etc….

E ) Software is free (vmplayer legit free, vmbox legit free, vmware workstation (best imo) .. can be free ;))

I could probably go on, but I think you get the point.

Wow I didnt realize you could setup virtual routers and firewalls. Does anyone know a good tut on setting up a realistic network all on virtual machines?

0 0

first link doesnt work

0 0

Folk Theory wrote: first link doesnt work

Ok ok so the [url] link doesn't like ftp. But, come on, in your infinite wisdom, Im sure you can manage to take the http out of it.