Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

FTP help

0 0

ok. so ive been poking around this website for possible exploits and i use the basic FTP://example.com on a site to see if its open. and it takes me to INDEX of FTP://example.com and on the page is has one folder labeled INCOMING.

and when you click the folder it takes you to a blank page. I'm just curious as to what this means? is it open to view other files or and i just haven't read up enough about the subject and am doing something wrong. Or is it only partially open.

Ive just started leaning about FTP so i apologize if my questions have either obvious answers or i am completely on the wrong track

thank you for your time. :happy:

0 0

You're allowed to see files in the folder (like if you knew there was an image.jpg in it, you would be able to view /image.jpg by adding it to the URL), but you can't see the directory listing.

0 0

well all their dir (cept a couple admin ones) are open. like example.com/templates, or example.com/images

so what you are saying is that i by adjusting my URL i can view different files? or have i misunderstood you?

0 0

Let's say you're in the directory www.example.com/folder1/ and the folder contains file1.jpg and file2.txt but the folder's index page is just white.

If you would go to www.example.com/folder1/file1.jpg you would see the image. If you would go to www.example.com/folder1/file2.txt you would see the text file.

However, if you don't know what the files in the folder are called you wouldn't know that the files were called file1.jpg and file2.txt and therefore you wouldn't be able to find them (unless you could guess their names or if they were linked from another page on the site - you might want to use something like IntelliTamper for checking this) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/IntelliTamper.shtml

Maybe the site has some interesting hidden folders or something hidden in their robots.txt so go to www.example.com/robots.txt and see if there are any folder names there ;)

0 0

try it out on a site. I would but I'm using my Ipod touch right now so its a little difficult.

0 0

thanks Uber0n for taking the time to explain all that. i appreciate it.:happy:

0 0

thanks Uber0n for taking the time to explain all that. i appreciate it.:happy:

0 0

No problem B)