Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

SMS name spoof

0 1

having an SMS come from a name.. i would assume is only possible if they have the contact number saved on their phone.

When i get a txt from a number i don't know, it will always say the mobile phone number its sent from.

If the number it was sent from is saved on my phone, then the contact name appears.

I would assume you can't set a display name for an SMS unless its already on their phone, in which it will do it automatically.

0 0

Mr_Cheese wrote: having an SMS come from a name.. i would assume is only possible if they have the contact number saved on their phone.

When i get a txt from a number i don't know, it will always say the mobile phone number its sent from.

If the number it was sent from is saved on my phone, then the contact name appears.

I would assume you can't set a display name for an SMS unless its already on their phone, in which it will do it automatically.

But the conversion doesn't happen when sent from server -> phone with legitimate full address, which is stored under contact information. Conversion must happen elsewhere. There are SMS services that will allow a name to be sent to a phone instead of a number. Which I find strange if there isn't a contact for it. But, then again, there are administrative services which will send SMS messages with names that aren't stored under contacts either. There must be some extra step for number->name conversion that is missing.

Anyone have any luck with getting a spoofed SMS message to display name over number?

0 0

nights_shadow wrote: [quote]Mr_Cheese wrote: having an SMS come from a name.. i would assume is only possible if they have the contact number saved on their phone.

But the conversion doesn't happen when sent from server -> phone with legitimate full address, which is stored under contact information. Conversion must happen elsewhere. There are SMS services that will allow a name to be sent to a phone instead of a number. Which I find strange if there isn't a contact for it. But, then again, there are administrative services which will send SMS messages with names that aren't stored under contacts either. There must be some extra step for number->name conversion that is missing.

Anyone have any luck with getting a spoofed SMS message to display name over number?[/quote]

Well it might depend on how the number is saved.

If its saved without the area code vs with the area code, or with a 1 in front of the area code etc., I know when I'm using spoof card (caller ID spoofer) and I type someone elses number it shows up as a contact, but only if I type the number exactly as its entered into the phone =/

I would suggest trying it out on your phone to see if this works, and also maybe try a couple different sms sending services.

0 1

This seems rather interesting.

I'm gonna try play around with it this weekend.

I'll let you know if I have any success spoofing contact name.

0 0

Area code and the 1 does not matter as well.

I'll get a working environment up probably by this weekend as well and play around with it more. Hopefully one of us can get this working, else find out that my phone provider just is using a weird system.

0 0

Did a little searching in this area. Read a lot about the different protocols used in SMS.

The main point I found for what I'm looking to do is that the input can be either numbers or alphanumeric characters. So, some providers allow a name, up to 11 characters, to be used instead of a number. But, the gateway has discretion on whether it will route your message with alphanumeric characters.

If this were the case, you could write your own contact for your SMS messages. Someone try it and post the SMTP input/output so we can see what providers allow alphanumeric names to be routed. Also, does anyone know of an SMS provider that routes information from one phone to another? I've heard of teleflip, but not sure about what information is received in the SMS after route (if teleflip modified any information).