Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

harddrive failure

0 0

dont know if this is hardware trouble or not but when i turn my computer on and select windows from boot screen it comes up with the loading logo for around 3 secs and then shows a BSOD quickly and reboots. Also when i go into the recovery console it doesnt show any harddrive, just the cd-rom and floppy drives and it shows C:\ but when i type dir it says it doesnt exist. What is more distressing is when i try to reinstall the OS it shows my harddrive but it wont let me do anything with it; i say delete partition and it says error.

0 0

Did you mess with the master boot record? Sounds like you've got a dual boot issue.

0 0

the thing is, to start with i had 2 partitions then i split the second one in half so i could tryout windows vista on the third one, the problem was that this new partition wasnt working; it came up with an error every time i tried formatting it, so i decided to install vista on the second part. and then after a couple of days i tried taking it off. After "fixmbr" and "fixboot" in the recovery console i went back into windows xp to try delete the remaining vista files of course i get access denied. i go into disk managment and it shows my 2 healthy partitions and the third which doesnt work, but it also shows 2 extra partitions which have 900GB free space. i delete the third part and now it show'd up as a 1MB logical drive, also the extra (unknown) partitions didnt have drive letters. so i decide to reboot the computer and thats when all this shit starts happening.

0 0

That's…impressive.

I think at that point I'd just fdisk the entire thing and start again.. There's probably a way to fix it but I'm not patient enough to do it…

Wish I could be of more help.