Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

XeroX Folder?????

0 0

what the hell is this?

0 0

Do you have a xerox printer or copier? :)

0 0

no, and its there is only 1 folder inside of it, and it is empty, but when i try and delete it it says i cannont delete it becuz its being used by another person or program.

0 0

if someone had access to your puter and wanted to destroy it they would have done so by now, so i don't think you should worry too much.:)

0 0

did you run netstat and see if anyone was connected to your computer? You could unplug your network cord, and then try to delete it.

0 0

Oh okay ill try that

0 0

Okay unplugged ethernet cord and it was still being used by another program or person.

I dont knwo what program would need a folder called xerox.

Would booting into safemode and deleting it work?

0 0

Try deleting it from command line first, sometimes that works. Have you tried rebooting and seeing if a process uses that folder on startup, if so, you only need to find out which program uses that folder on startup, disable it from startup in msconfig, reboot and then del that folder and the offending program.

0 0

Check whats init, try tools>folder options>veiw>hidden files and folders> show hidden files and folders.

0 0

okay before you go off and delete a folder that you are unsure of what it does you should take some steps. i mean, what if it is being used by a legitament piece of hardware or something?

some things that you should look for are:

1. is anyone conected to your computer? netstat -an will be of help here, however if you have a kernal rotkit installed, you're pretty much screwed, as you will not be able to trust any info that is returned.

2. disconnect your ethernet cable from the computer. this will prevent youi from being online and from other accessing it.

3. see if you can pull up a process list (the windows equivlent of a ps -aux). maybe that will provide some clues..

4. portscan your system and look for any trojans etc (just your basic security sweep).

5. check all your hardware docs and see if you can find some mention of this.

hopefully you'll find that it was nothing. however, if you do think that you have had a breach and cannot confirm it, be paranoid and flatten/rebuild the box. then apply all the updates and patches,etc along with a paranoid firewall config.

and while your at it, get that box away from windows and put linux on it ;)

gl

0 0

I have this folder as well, even after a fresh reformat and reinstall(i believe). I dont think its anything to worry about.

~CdPirate

P.S n3w7yp3 - get on IRC asap.

0 0

cdpirate wrote: I have this folder as well, even after a fresh reformat and reinstall(i believe). I dont think its anything to worry about.

Yeah, that folder has been on my computer for as long as I can remember. I think it is just one of those mysterious Windows things.

0 0

I got it to. Mabey it's Windows trying to see what all the users are doing in a plot to take over the worlds computers so they can destroy all other operationg systems becuase they all say that windows sucks. (Which it does!) I dont know maybe im just paronoid!:o