Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Issues with gcc and compiling programs on Mac

0 0

Hey everybody. I haven't been here (on the forums) in quite a long while. Despite that, I have been hanging around the IRC. Sorry, I don't even know why I needed to bring that up.

The current issue that I'm having, long story short, is with gcc. For quite a while, I had been trying to bootstrap gcc, although very unsuccessfully. Then, I found the .dmg file for the correct version of Xcode that works with my old PPC iBook G4 with 10.4 Tiger. I installed it, and then tried ./configure with the program I was trying to compile (irssi). Same error as before I had installed gcc 4.0. Then, I realized that I should check out /usr/bin to see what I could see. I found that there was no gcc, but there was a gcc-4.0 file. I renamed it to gcc, and tried ./configure again. There were two more errors that I decided that I wanted to fix,

configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

and

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… no

I can easily paste the rest of what ./configure printed, but I figured that that was the only thing that stands in the way of me compiling irssi.

I guess that it was not long story short, but long story shorter. Anyways, if you can help me at all, I would appreciate it. It would also be helpful (if not just slightly less) if people could also give info on how they would do that on their linux, as I know many people here use linux.

Thanks in advance for all help I will receive with this issue,

~t0xik

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Post the entire compile output, the result of gcc -v, and the contents of config.log (if it made one).

0 0

aight stealth…

compile output:

checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c checking whether build environment is sane… yes checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p… build-aux/install-sh -c -d checking for gawk… no checking for mawk… no checking for nawk… no checking for awk… awk checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… no checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles… no checking for style of include used by make… none checking for gcc… gcc checking whether the C compiler works… no configure: error: in /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15': configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables See config.log' for more details.

gcc -v output:

Using built-in specs. Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8 Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5370~2/src/configure –disable-checking -enable-werror –prefix=/usr –mandir=/share/man –enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ –program-transform-name=/1[^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ –with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 –with-slibdir=/usr/lib –build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 –host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 –target=powerpc-apple-darwin8 Thread model: posix gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370)

config.log:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by irssi configure 0.8.15, which was generated by GNU Autoconf 2.65. Invocation command line was

$ ./configure

———

Platform.

———

hostname = *********.home uname -m = Power Macintosh uname -r = 8.11.0 uname -s = Darwin uname -v = Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC

/usr/bin/uname -p = powerpc /bin/uname -X = unknown

/bin/arch = unknown /usr/bin/arch -k = unknown /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown /usr/bin/hostinfo = Mach kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Kernel configured for a single processor only. 1 processor is physically available. Processor type: ppc7450 (PowerPC 7450) Processor active: 0 Primary memory available: 1.00 gigabytes Default processor set: 102 tasks, 312 threads, 1 processors Load average: 3.16, Mach factor: 0.33 /bin/machine = unknown /usr/bin/oslevel = unknown /bin/universe = unknown

PATH: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/bin PATH: /bin PATH: /sbin PATH: /usr/bin PATH: /usr/sbin

———–

Core tests.

———–

configure:2613: checking for a BSD-compatible install configure:2681: result: /usr/bin/install -c configure:2692: checking whether build environment is sane configure:2742: result: yes configure:2883: checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p configure:2922: result: build-aux/install-sh -c -d configure:2935: checking for gawk configure:2965: result: no configure:2935: checking for mawk configure:2965: result: no configure:2935: checking for nawk configure:2965: result: no configure:2935: checking for awk configure:2951: found /usr/bin/awk configure:2962: result: awk configure:2973: checking whether make sets $(MAKE) configure:2999: result: no configure:3068: checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles configure:3077: result: no configure:3103: checking for style of include used by make configure:3131: result: none configure:3201: checking for gcc configure:3217: found /usr/bin/gcc configure:3228: result: gcc configure:3457: checking for C compiler version configure:3466: gcc –version >&5 powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370) Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:3477: $? = 0 configure:3466: gcc -v >&5 Using built-in specs. Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8 Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5370~2/src/configure –disable-checking -enable-werror –prefix=/usr –mandir=/share/man –enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ –program-transform-name=/2[^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ –with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 –with-slibdir=/usr/lib –build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 –host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 –target=powerpc-apple-darwin8 Thread model: posix gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370) configure:3477: $? = 0 configure:3466: gcc -V >&5 gcc: argument to -V' is missing configure:3477: $? = 1 configure:3466: gcc -qversion >&5 powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: unrecognized option '-qversion' powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files configure:3477: $? = 1 configure:3497: checking whether the C compiler works configure:3519: gcc conftest.c >&5 powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory configure:3523: $? = 1 configure:3561: result: no configure: failed program was: | /* confdefs.h */ | #define PACKAGE_NAME "irssi" | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "irssi" | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.8.15" | #define PACKAGE_STRING "irssi 0.8.15" | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "" | #define PACKAGE_URL "" | /* end confdefs.h. */ | | int | main () | { | | ; | return 0; | } configure:3566: error: in /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15': configure:3570: error: C compiler cannot create executables See `config.log' for more details.

––––––––

Cache variables.

––––––––

ac_cv_env_CC_set= ac_cv_env_CC_value= ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set= ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value= ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set= ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value= ac_cv_env_CPP_set= ac_cv_env_CPP_value= ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set= ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value= ac_cv_env_LIBS_set= ac_cv_env_LIBS_value= ac_cv_env_PKG_CONFIG_set= ac_cv_env_PKG_CONFIG_value= ac_cv_env_SSL_CFLAGS_set= ac_cv_env_SSL_CFLAGS_value= ac_cv_env_SSL_LIBS_set= ac_cv_env_SSL_LIBS_value= ac_cv_env_build_alias_set= ac_cv_env_build_alias_value= ac_cv_env_host_alias_set= ac_cv_env_host_alias_value= ac_cv_env_target_alias_set= ac_cv_env_target_alias_value= ac_cv_path_install='/usr/bin/install -c' ac_cv_prog_AWK=awk ac_cv_prog_ac_ct_CC=gcc ac_cv_prog_make_make_set=no

—————–

Output variables.

—————–

ACLOCAL='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run aclocal-1.11' AMDEPBACKSLASH='\' AMDEP_FALSE='#' AMDEP_TRUE='' AMTAR='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run tar' AR='' AUTOCONF='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run autoconf' AUTOHEADER='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run autoheader' AUTOMAKE='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run automake-1.11' AWK='awk' BUILD_IRSSIBOT_FALSE='' BUILD_IRSSIBOT_TRUE='' BUILD_IRSSIPROXY_FALSE='' BUILD_IRSSIPROXY_TRUE='' BUILD_TEXTUI_FALSE='' BUILD_TEXTUI_TRUE='' CC='gcc' CCDEPMODE='' CFLAGS='' CHAT_MODULES='' COMMON_LIBS='' COMMON_NOUI_LIBS='' CPP='' CPPFLAGS='' CURSES_INCLUDEDIR='' CURSES_LIBS='' CYGPATH_W='echo' DEFS='' DEPDIR='.deps' DSYMUTIL='' DUMPBIN='' ECHO_C='' ECHO_N='-n' ECHO_T='' EGREP='' EXEEXT='' FGREP='' GLIB_CFLAGS='' GLIB_GENMARSHAL='' GLIB_LIBS='' GLIB_MKENUMS='' GOBJECT_QUERY='' GREP='' HAVE_PERL_FALSE='' HAVE_PERL_TRUE='' INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644' INSTALL_PROGRAM='${INSTALL}' INSTALL_SCRIPT='${INSTALL}' INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM='$(install_sh) -c -s' LD='' LDFLAGS='' LIBOBJS='' LIBS='' LIBTOOL='' LIPO='' LN_S='' LTLIBOBJS='' MAINT='#' MAINTAINER_MODE_FALSE='' MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE='#' MAKEINFO='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/missing –run makeinfo' MKDIR_P='build-aux/install-sh -c -d' NEED_TPARM_FALSE='' NEED_TPARM_TRUE='' NM='' NMEDIT='' OBJDUMP='' OBJEXT='' OTOOL64='' OTOOL='' PACKAGE='irssi' PACKAGE_BUGREPORT='' PACKAGE_NAME='irssi' PACKAGE_STRING='irssi 0.8.15' PACKAGE_TARNAME='irssi' PACKAGE_URL='' PACKAGE_VERSION='0.8.15' PATH_SEPARATOR=':' PERL_CFLAGS='' PERL_EXTRA_OPTS='' PERL_FE_LINK_LIBS='' PERL_LDFLAGS='' PERL_LINK_FLAGS='' PERL_LINK_LIBS='' PERL_MM_PARAMS='' PERL_STATIC_LIBS='' PERL_USE_LIB='' PKG_CONFIG='' PROG_LIBS='' RANLIB='' SED='' SET_MAKE='MAKE=make' SHELL='/bin/sh' SSL_CFLAGS='' SSL_LIBS='' STRIP='' TEXTUI_LIBS='' USE_CURSES_FALSE='' USE_CURSES_TRUE='' VERSION='0.8.15' ac_ct_CC='gcc' ac_ct_DUMPBIN='' am__EXEEXT_FALSE='' am__EXEEXT_TRUE='' am__fastdepCC_FALSE='' am__fastdepCC_TRUE='' am__include='#' am__isrc='' am__leading_dot='.' am__quote='' am__tar='${AMTAR} chof - "$$tardir"' am__untar='${AMTAR} xf -' bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin' build='' build_alias='' build_cpu='' build_os='' build_vendor='' datadir='${datarootdir}' datarootdir='${prefix}/share' docdir='${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE_TARNAME}' dvidir='${docdir}' exec_prefix='NONE' host='' host_alias='' host_cpu='' host_os='' host_vendor='' htmldir='${docdir}' includedir='${prefix}/include' infodir='${datarootdir}/info' install_sh='${SHELL} /Users/t0xik/Desktop/Downloads/irssi-0.8.15/build-aux/install-sh' irc_MODULES='' libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib' libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec' localedir='${datarootdir}/locale' localstatedir='${prefix}/var' lt_ECHO='echo' mandir='${datarootdir}/man' mkdir_p='$(top_builddir)/build-aux/install-sh -c -d' oldincludedir='/usr/include' pdfdir='${docdir}' perl_module_fe_lib='' perl_module_lib='' perl_static_fe_lib='' perl_static_lib='' perlpath='' prefix='NONE' program_transform_name='s,x,x,' psdir='${docdir}' sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin' sedpath='' sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com' sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc' target_alias=''

———–

confdefs.h.

———–

/* confdefs.h */ #define PACKAGE_NAME "irssi" #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "irssi" #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.8.15" #define PACKAGE_STRING "irssi 0.8.15" #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "" #define PACKAGE_URL ""

configure: exit 77

So, after looking a bit, on a different forum website, I found something that said that someone with the same issue solved it because they needed to install g++ and they did. It came with g++, but it was labeled g++-4.0. I renamed it to just 'g++' but it still didn't work. Just wanted to note so that no one recommends this.

Once again, thanks in advance for all help!

~t0xik

1. cg 

2. cg 

0 0

t0xikc0mputer wrote: So, after looking a bit, on a different forum website, I found something that said that someone with the same issue solved it because they needed to install g++ and they did. It came with g++, but it was labeled g++-4.0. I renamed it to just 'g++' but it still didn't work. Just wanted to note so that no one recommends this. Not surprising that that wouldn't work, g++ is specifically for C++ files, it should make no difference for C files. Anyhow, it looks like you don't have 'as', a part of the binutils package, sort of necessary as is the rest of that package.

Ninja Extreme
0 0
configure:3519: gcc conftest.c >&5
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory
configure:3523: $? = 1
configure:3561: result: no

There is a problem with your GCC installation. "as" is a program that is required for GCC to function, it's the assembler. The test is failing because GCC can't find that program. You have to ensure it's installed, and make sure it is in your path so that GCC can find it.

t0xikc0mputer wrote: So, after looking a bit, on a different forum website, I found something that said that someone with the same issue solved it because they needed to install g++ and they did. It came with g++, but it was labeled g++-4.0. I renamed it to just 'g++' but it still didn't work. Just wanted to note so that no one recommends this.

There are a lot of things that can cause the "cannot create executables" error. You have to usually look at the config.log file to see what's really going on.

Once again, thanks in advance for all help!

Np, Good luck :)

EDIT: Ah, COM beat me to it ;)

0 0

So, I seem to have a little issue with installing GAS. It needs to be compiled, but how would I compile it if it's necessary to the compilation process!!

I'm just confused about how to do this.

~t0xik

EDIT: W00t!!!!!!! This is my 111th post!!!!!!!!!

0 0

t0xikc0mputer wrote: So, I seem to have a little issue with installing GAS. It needs to be compiled, but how would I compile it if it's necessary to the compilation process!! Your initial post left this in ambiguity, but let's just make sure: did you actually install gcc from your XcodeTools.mpkg package? If not, remove your current gcc and do so.

0 0

COM wrote: Your initial post left this in ambiguity, but let's just make sure: did you actually install gcc from your XcodeTools.mpkg package? If not, remove your current gcc and do so.

I was sooo confused on the idea of bootstrapping, so I looked a little harder for a precompiled package, and I did indeed use that. What I'm confused about, is if it's a package you just install, why didn't it come with all the necessary parts? Whatever. I also don't understand how you're supposed to compile something that's necessary to the compilation process.

Thanks, ~t0xik

Ninja Extreme
0 0

t0xikc0mputer wrote: [quote]COM wrote: Your initial post left this in ambiguity, but let's just make sure: did you actually install gcc from your XcodeTools.mpkg package? If not, remove your current gcc and do so.

I was sooo confused on the idea of bootstrapping, so I looked a little harder for a precompiled package, and I did indeed use that. What I'm confused about, is if it's a package you just install, why didn't it come with all the necessary parts? [/quote]

Afaik, it does. Did you enable UNIX Development support?

I also don't understand how you're supposed to compile something that's necessary to the compilation process.

You aren't. I'm not entirely sure what you are doing/trying to do, lol.