Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

0 0

Hey everyone I have a problem getting KDE to run under a certain user. When I run startx in my normal account, the screen just turns black. I have no problems running it as root, and I even could run it when I created a new user.

I tried renaming .kde in my home directory and running kde4-config and then startx, but I keep getting the black screen.

The problem started a couple days ago after I cut the power to my laptop when it started to boot up :/ Before that, I never had any problems.

Any ideas of what else I can try?

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

It sounds like your user table is corrupted. Make a new user and delete your old account, but before you delete your old account, use root to move any file you want to keep to the new user and change the owner permissions on the files, so you can use them on the new account.

0 0

Ugh I really didn't want to have to do that, but since I still can't get anything to work it looks like I'm going to have to.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by user table? As I'm sure you know *nix directly adds users into /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and I'm not using samba or any other type of application that would use, say, the SMB protocol to access my files (where users WOULD be stored in a database).

Banned
0 0

dmesg, cat var/log/relevant_files

find errors before doing anything.