Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless trouble

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Hey guys. I've got a D-link WBR-2310, and the clients for this wireless setup is a Windows 7 machine and a few Ipods. Normally I don't bother with the wireless stuff, as none of my own devices use it, but lately it's been encountering problems. We recently moved into a new house (IE: two days ago) and since then the devices have been having trouble connecting/staying connected. From practically anywhere in the house we have "full" signal strength, however whenever a device attempts to connect the (very descriptive) "Unable to connect to <SSID>" error message is displayed.

My network is currently using WPA2 personal with TKIP, however the results are the same with all WEP, WPA, and with encryption removed. Sometimes after changing settings on the router (Changing the settings, restoring settings, factory reset, etc), the internet will work for about five minutes before collapsing.

Quite often the entire network will disappear after "collapsing". The SSID will no longer show up the in network list of any device, however from the router side of things everything seems to be working fine. Same with ethernet. Both of these effects happen to the devices no matter how close you are to the router.

I'm figuring this has something to do with the environment of the new house, maybe some sort of interference like a wall or tech device. Does anyone have any ideas?

Ninja Extreme
0 0

MoshBat wrote: You downloading when it happens?

No.

And have you checked the power supply?

Power supply of what? Ipod's don't have one, laptop one runs fine, and the router works perfectly with ethernet still, so I doubt it would be the power supply.

Thanks for the response. I'm starting to think maybe the router got fucked over in the move, and it's time for a new one. That'd suck though, because it's fairly new already.

0 0

I have a microsoft router my mother in law gave me, it does the same thing from time to time. I took the casing off of it to find chard plastic. It may be over heating.

Mosh, I believe was referring to the routers power supply.

Banned
0 0

Try sniffing around with kismet, see what's what.

Banned
0 0

Either it's overheating, or you aren't broadcasting your SSID. I've had problems with devices connecting when I deselected "Broadcast SSID" in my router's settings. Make sure you are broadcasting it.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Hmmm, alright I think I'll try opening up the router later today when I get a chance, I'll let you guys know if I find anything interesting. Thanks for the responses.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Yeah, looks like TechB and hellboundhackersok were in the right spot. When I open it up, it's black around a section of the router. It's a little hard to explain, but its definitely obvious there are some heat issues. I'm actually pretty surprised, I wasn't aware routers had issues like that. I guess it's time for a trip to future shop :xx:

Thanks guys.

0 0

You might be able to buy like a cpu cooling fan to put over the chip that seems to be over heating.

Those embedded systems really take a beating. Especially from data intensive individuals like our selves.

Out of curiosity, where did you keep it in the house? Before and post move.