Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Bricked iPod Classic?

0 0

I have a 160gb iPod classic. A few days ago, I accidentally unplugged it from my computer without ejecting it first. Now it won't sync, and freezes my iTunes when I connect it. This isn't the first time this has happened, but before I had way less stuff on it, and I feel like that's why I can't get it to work. (Everything sync'd alright, but the iPod doesn't read the synced items, it just files them under "Other." So now I have 30 gigs of "Other" on my iPod)

So far, this is what I've tried: Resetting it –Doesn't do anything

Manually deleting the music –When I open the iPod in Windows Explorer, it takes around two minutes to open each folder, more depending on how many items there are in it, and deleting a single song can take up to 10 minutes.

Formatting it –Two things have happened -I get the error that it cannot be performed while the disk is in use -I get the error that "Windows could not complete the format"

Defragging and then deleting music –When I try to defrag, my computer tells me that it can't be done while the iPod is in use. I've tried closing every program that might be using it, but to no prevail.

Booting into disk mode and then trying all of the above –Pretty much the same results as in normal mode.

Using a different USB port –No change.

Checkdisk –The checkdisk utility comes up when I connect the iPod, but either I start the scan and an hour later nothing has happened, or 10 seconds later it tells me that Windows could not perform the scan.

When I plug it into my computer, the iPod displays the connected screen, and I can still use it, but there is nothing on it.

Does anybody have anything to offer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 0

Resetting you mean usnig the itunes feature? Or menu+play and menu+select resets? If you haven't tried these then go ahead and do so. If windows wont format the drive why not try using linux? using a ubuntu live cd go into the system>administartion>Gparted program?

Finally take it to an apple genius??

0 0

iTunes won't recognize it, so yes I used Menu + Select.

There aren't many apple geniuses around. I took it to the apple store just to see what they would say and of course they told me they could send it in for $150

And if it will work I will try booting to linux. I've just never done it before.

0 0

s3klyma wrote: There aren't many apple geniuses around. I took it to the apple store just to see what they would say and of course they told me they could send it in for $150

Those metrosexual tools at the Apple Store are useless. Obviously, you could probably land a new Classic for less than that nowadays.

First thing I noticed that you didn't try was reinstalling iTunes. That also goes hand-in-hand with the next thing I would suggest trying, which is a factory reset of your Classic. Here's an Apple KB (snicker) article on it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1339.

s3klyma wrote: Formatting it –Two things have happened -I get the error that it cannot be performed while the disk is in use -I get the error that "Windows could not complete the format"

Probably not the best idea unless you know what you're doing. "Format when broken" is not a good methodology. ;)

Also, you'll notice the "disk in use" error when you try to "safely remove hardware" (unmount) a USB drive and you have an Explorer window viewing some or all of its contents.

The rest of the steps had nothing else to note.

0 0

My bad. There were just too many things I had tried to remember them all. But I have reset it to factory settings twice and I reinstalled iTunes twice too. I thought maybe I should try a different version but when it didn't work I just downloaded the most recent.

I read something that said I should try to change the drive letter through disk management. I can't seem to get disk management working while my iPod is connected though.

I also read that if I reset it with Menu + Select and then hold FF, Rew, Menu and Select that the iPod would run a chkdsk scan, but I can't get that to work either.

The problem started 5 days ago, and then 3 days ago I fixed it. But since I had to sync 40 gigs worth of stuff, I just left it overnight. When I woke up, my computer was completely unresponsive so I had to unplug the iPod again without ejecting it, and now I can't fix it again. (Just to explain why I still have hope)

0 0

Maybe try another ipod software such as sharepod or idump?

0 0

Okay here's an update: I booted the iPod into disk mode and then ended up having to format it through the command prompt

It told me it found some incredibly large number of bad sectors, but it was farther than I had gotten so far. Currently I'm formatting it with the windows format utility, and if this works, hopefully the iPod isn't dead.

I tried downloading sharepod, but it didn't work, so that's why I resorted back to a format.