Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

John The Ripper Problem

0 0

Hey, I'm trying to get JTR (windows version) to work and everytime I type 'john' into cmd, it spits out an "access denied" error.

So I navigated to it in explorer and I have no permissions for the john-386 file whatsoever (it also says its Unable to display current owner) , even when I log into the actual Administrator account on my computer. Im on Vista by the way.

Any ideas what is causing it, or am I just not seeing something really simple? I've used it before and it worked fine, although that was back on XP.

Thanks.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

From what I recall, there isn't a version of JTR that works on Vista. At least there wasn't last time I checked anyway.

0 0

Crap :ninja: Do you know of an alternative by any chance?

0 0

cain and able? I don't know too much about windows, what you cracking md5? then plenty of online crackers and other software.

You could always run jtr on a linux box? say even a live cd( expect a significant performance decrease.)

0 0

PassPro is the best windows alternative to JTR Ive found. It supports many different types of hashes.

But as wolfman said, if its a generic MD5: online tables are much faster and better imo.

http://plain-text.info/ http://www.hashkiller.com/

Also dont forget to just google the hash, often times, it will lead you to the plain text of it as someone else has already cracked it.

0 0

Actually looking to crack DES. I've had to leave out Basic Challenge 12 since I can't get JTR to work and go on to 13 through 17 so far.

I'll have a look at some alternatives later on. Thanks for the replies.:)

0 0

25 lines of C.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Emerson wrote: Actually looking to crack DES. I've had to leave out Basic Challenge 12 since I can't get JTR to work and go on to 13 through 17 so far.

Pretty sure I just googled the hash for that one and found the answer. That method works for pretty much every challenge on this site that requires hash cracking.

0 1

if you're on Vista, try running the command prompt as administrator, and then run JTR. I'm just giving a suggestion, I haven't used neither JTR nor Vista in a long time.

0 0

Turned on the computer today and JTR worked without a hitch. Didn't change a thing. :whoa:

Probably look at some alternatives incase it happens again, but thanks to everyone for the replies.

0 0

Emerson wrote: Turned on the computer today and JTR worked without a hitch. Didn't change a thing. :whoa:

Probably look at some alternatives incase it happens again, but thanks to everyone for the replies.

I do not use Vista, but apparently it had been blocked by a firewall or something like windows defender. And then has been marked as safe/trusted. Or you were not an administrator then, either you or a virus.