Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

John The Ripper Troubles

0 0

Wasnt sure where to put this but here goes: Ive loaded JTR and am trying to carry out a crack on a hash.. but no matter what i do i keep getting "no password hashes loaded" ive tryed all different types of commands, read up as much as i can but still really cant figure out how to sort this.. point to note, running on windows with the binary version.
not to sound too simple but a step by step on sorting this would be much appreciated

many thanks in advance Uthenasia

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Tell us what commands you entered and show the hash you're trying to crack. Maybe you're mistaken in identifying your hash.

0 0

okay.. ive cd to the john run directory the tried: john-386 –wordlist=Wordlist.txt passwd.txt : result, no password hashes loaded john-386 –single passwd.txt , same result john-386 passwd.txt .. same result i tried unshadowing: unshadow passwd.txt passwd.txt result: user : 1Gwn39lwmRu9U i feel like beating my head off the screen lol, it IS related to a mission, but its more the usage of JTR im working on, so i thought it would be more prudent here lol

slightly long winded in my response, but thanks :)

Banned
0 0

There's about five articles on HBH which tell you how to use JTR. Read through them.

0 0

i have, honestly.. about twenty times lol.. ive followed the advice on there.. its once ive done all that the no password hashes loaded comes up im literally at the point ready to crack :S

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

What kind of hash is it?

0 0

its the hash from one of the basic missions, im not looking for the answer, just how to get further myself on it… so whatever kind of hash that is :/ i know.. lame answer :/

0 0

Which basic?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Are you sure you've saved it to the file properly? In the form user:pass? And make sure your password and wordlists are in the same directory as jtr, otherwise you have to give a full path.

EDIT: smileys

0 0

yep ive definetly saved it to the file properly, and its in the right directory.. i know exactly what ive got to do to finish the mission, its the no password hashes loaded with JTR i cant seem to get past, just need to know how to sort this and i can finish cheers

Banned
0 0

Post the exact contents of the file which holds the username:password.

0 0

thanks guys :) got it sussed now…. really damn basic error lol cheers again :)

0 0

okay i realise im getting annoying now, so apologies i got it working, and i thought i understood how… i tried again to practice and am still getting the same result "no password hashes loaded" user:1Gwn39lwmRu9U is the exact file content, and its in the run directory

once again apologies, but im pulling my hair out now many thanks

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Are you using Vista? I wasn't able to get JTR to work in Vista. When all else fails, just google the hash. You can find an answer that way.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: Are you using Vista? I wasn't able to get JTR to work in Vista. When all else fails, just google the hash. You can find an answer that way.

I've heard of alot of people having problems with JTR, but with the latest version ive tested on Vista and have had no trouble. And the people who did have trouble got an error of one sort or another not just a No Hashes Loaded.

0 0

right ive figured out what i was doing wrong, to a degree… now while running a crack on the hash… no guesses are being made :S

0 -1

Uthenasia wrote:

i tried unshadowing: unshadow passwd.txt passwd.txt result: user : 1Gwn39lwmRu9U

unshadow is for an already obtained passwd + shadow file. those are files found in *nix systems. why you would even use that executable, i've naught a singular clue..

bt john # ./john faggot.txt Loaded 1 password hash (Traditional DES [24/32 4K])

works for me :P

Admin from hell
0 0

Uthenasia Said:
right ive figured out what i was doing wrong, to a degree… now while running a crack on the hash… no guesses are being made

While john is cracking it will not show any progress, You must hit enter to see what position your at. Read my article on JTR. Also if you found what you were doing wrong you should have posted it so that other people who have the same problem can use this thread for help.

ellipsis Posted this for no reason:
bt john # ./john faggot.txt Loaded 1 password hash (Traditional DES [24/32 4K])

Hmm, He's using windows not backtrack how can that help him?

0 0

okay ill do my best :) try a Dictionary Wordlist crack first and make sure you got a decent wordlist :) always make sure your hash you want cracked is in the right directory ;) as stated above.. john will not come up any guesses with brute force till its got it right, which could take bloody ages :p

thanks guys kudos to ya all :)

0 0

Try typing this into JTR:

john-386 -show passwd.txt

Snowdog

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Snowdog wrote: Try typing this into JTR:

That's only of use if he's already cracked the hash, and if he had this thread wouldn't be here.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]Snowdog wrote: Try typing this into JTR:

That's only of use if he's already cracked the hash, and if he had this thread wouldn't be here.[/quote]

What if this hash had already been cracked from another passfile? When JTR is run it would give you - No password hashes loaded. JTR won't crack a hash already done. -show would let us see if it had been cracked prior.

I cracked the hash. Then I re-ran JTR and got: No password hashes loaded.

Just trying to help.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Snowdog wrote: What if this hash had already been cracked from another passfile? When JTR is run it would give you - No password hashes loaded. JTR won't crack a hash already done. -show would let us see if it had been cracked prior.

I cracked the hash. Then I re-ran JTR and got: No password hashes loaded.

Just trying to help. That's nice, and it would have been helpful if you had posted it about 6 posts ago, but the OP has already solved that problem. His new question was concerning the fact that JTR doesn't show its progress as it attempts to find the password.

@OP - Just leave it sitting for about an hour and watch TV or something. That should be plenty of time for it. I cracked that hash on my computer in about 45 minutes and my Linux computer is shitty eight year old laptop.