Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

nvlddmkm.sys

0 0

Hey there people,

I'm experiencing some serious problems with my pc, and i thought this was the best place to post something.

I have two versions of vista installed in my computer (32 and 64) due to compatibility problems with some applications. Yesterday, i started to watch a movie and… Boom!… the screen got weird. I restarted my computer… Both my two versions of windows had the same problem… They couldn't recognize the System Management BUS and the videocard (a Nvidia 8800GTX btw)

So i re-installed both my motherboard and videocard drivers… It worked for like 5 minutes, and then….Boom!…again! x_X

I restarted, and a Black Screen of death appeared saying there was some problem with the nvlddmkm.sys…

I did all suggestions they posted in forums like underclocking the whole pc to stock speed, reinstalling the driver, praying, etc. But none of them worked. Some guys said that they had even changed videocards and reinstalled windows and the problem continued…

Anyone could help me please? 640x480 configuration sucks… :(

0 0

Thank you mosh. Yes you can have them:

Windows Vista Ultimate (32 and 64 bits) Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. MS-7360 It's a P35 Neo

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2.40 Ghz

4MB ram DirectX 10

Video Card Nvidia 8800GTX

0 0

MoshBat wrote: Try the hard-drive in a different box whilst we wait for Korg :D I'm no expert when it comes to this kinda thing, but I will try and give you as much help as I can.

I'll do that thanks a lot :)

Admin from hell
0 0

Give me a few minutes, Let me look that msi board up real quick.

0 0

thanks man, i did what mosh told me but it didn't work. I was looking for more things to do, but they didn't work either…. scanned my pc with three different anti-spywares and nothing…

Admin from hell
0 0

Here some stuff to do, You didn't mention if you ever updated your bios. (This is usally the problem when hardware fails). I found some: Bios update: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1215

Inf drivers: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1215

Also check your bios settings and apply these (Your using Pcie) PnP O/S Installed: Enable PCI Bursting: Disable PCI Latency Timer: 128 Peer Concurrency: Disable Video BIOS Shadowing: Disable Video RAM Cacheable: Disable USWC: Disable/UC Pipeline Cache Write: Disable PCI 2.1 Compliance: Enable Passive Release: Enable Delayed Transaction:Enable Graphics Aperture Size: 128MB (Set to half your total ram)

Also in the DirectX diag tool make sure that your directdraw and direct3d are enabled

After that uninstall your nvidia drivers completely and go here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us choose option 2

Should fix you up. If not you can try bumping some settings up on the pci bus: Up the voltage on the pci and the frontsidebus by +1 v at a time Also up the frequency of the pci by +5 mhz

0 0

korg wrote: Here some stuff to do, You didn't mention if you ever updated your bios. (This is usally the problem when hardware fails). I found some: Bios update: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1215

Inf drivers: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1215

Also check your bios settings and apply these (Your using Pcie) PnP O/S Installed: Enable PCI Bursting: Disable PCI Latency Timer: 128 Peer Concurrency: Disable Video BIOS Shadowing: Disable Video RAM Cacheable: Disable USWC: Disable/UC Pipeline Cache Write: Disable PCI 2.1 Compliance: Enable Passive Release: Enable Delayed Transaction:Enable Graphics Aperture Size: 128MB (Set to half your total ram)

Also in the DirectX diag tool make sure that your directdraw and direct3d are enabled

After that uninstall your nvidia drivers completely and go here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us choose option 2

Should fix you up. If not you can try bumping some settings up on the pci bus: Up the voltage on the pci and the frontsidebus by +1 v at a time Also up the frequency of the pci by +5 mhz

I did all those driver reinstalling. I uninstalled them and installed them from zero. And it didn't work.

I'll try those configurations in some minutes… I'll first eat something because i haven't had my lunch yet… It's 5pm here

but tell me… You said i need to put my card at half, 128mb. But my videocard has 768mb… can i put 384mb instead? that'd be half of my GPU ram.

btw, do you know if i reformat my computer and install windows, if this problem will continue there? Because my computer is somewhat unstable really, and i want to install ubuntu with Vista Ultimate 64 in it :)

Admin from hell
0 0

No you physical ram. In other words if you have a gig of ram set it to 512. 128 is the default setting just put it there to show you the setting.

Also if you update the bios and inf files, Reinstall the nvidia drivers again so they take right.

0 0

korg wrote: No you physical ram. In other words if you have a gig of ram set it to 512. 128 is the default setting just put it there to show you the setting.

oh, cool. Thought you were talkin' about my videocards memory ^_^ I'll do that then, thx. I'll post the results in some minutes… got approx 8 bites more to finish my sandwich :P lol

0 0

destroyed look It didn't work :(

Admin from hell
0 0

What did you do exactly. Did you update your bios and inf files. Change settings etc.

Did you try bumping your voltages and frequency.

I'll check back later I got to bolt.

0 0

korg wrote: What did you do exactly. Did you update your bios and inf files. Change settings etc.

Did you try bumping your voltages and frequency.

I'll check back later I got to bolt.

did all things you told me; scanned my pc with Spybot,adware and trojan remover; reinstalled my drivers like 20 times today; prayed; considered installing linux into this machine…

for the last action, i'm kind of afraid, since i never used linux before…i'm afraid of having a not compatible OS… but i admid i've been watching videos and listening to linux users and i'm tempted…. xP

Admin from hell
0 0

Well this is a known issue with vista and cards above 8600. I've had lot's of people with issues in nvidia and Sli. When you uninstalled the Nvidia drivers are you just using the uninstaller or are you doing a Full uninstall manually. If at one point vista installed the microsoft drivers for that card they conflict. Do this download drive sweeper: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ Follow the instruction on the main page. When your done running the drivesweeper (you'll be in safe mode) Check the system32 folder for any more copies of nvlddmkm.sys if there are any delete them. Then reboot Do not let vista install any drivers, Then install the Nvidia drivers. I've done this many times and never had a problem afterwards. See what happens.

0 0

i'll try that tomorrow when i get back from university and inform ya if that works :) Thanks a lot for your help man :)

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: [quote]pigmanbear wrote: Why don't you just reinstall a fresh copy of your OS and see if it gives you the same problem?

Maybe he has a lot of stuff he doesn't want to reinstall etc. And if you can avoid having to reinstall the OS it's better than having to.[/quote]

Yep, c4p_sl0ck is right :) I don't like to reinstall the OS… got lots of files and don't wanna lose time doing that and complicating things if i can solve the problem without the OS reinstall…

@korg: I did everything you told me and the problem continues. So i downloaded and ran the LiveCD version of ubuntu and my computer looks perfect… Conclusions… My videocard is alright, and the problem was not caused by any driver… damn what do you think? am i going to need to reinstall windows? :(

0 0

bad news… I think my videocard is fucked up…. After i posted the last message in ubuntu live cd, the pc tilted… the screen went purple.

Admin from hell
0 0

Doesn't sound good but before we condemn it try this: Go to the Nvidia control panel. Under 3d settings go to adjust image settings with preview. Check use my preference and move the slider to balanced or performance. Make sure you click apply at the rt bottom to save the settings.

Also download this tester and try it: http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test.htm

Wish I had this rig in front of me it be alot easier.

0 0

man… Benchmark = 0 and it didn't work properly since i have directx 10

it seems to be an error in the PCI-E configurations…. I changed it from 64 to 32 in BIOS (the other options were 96 and 128) and it worked for 5 minutes… but then again… failure! the screen loads even uglier…

can't even boot ubuntu live cd anymore :(

changed it back to the original setting, 64, and damn….

0 0

I'm no expert, and you may have already checked this.. but what are you running for a power supply in your computer? An 8800 GTX is a very good card, and besides for me being slightly jealous, that thing needs a lot of juice. Failure to provide enough, and you kind of get visual failure, similar to what I think you're describing. Yes? No? ;D

0 0

Hi!

I had the same problem. I tried everything.

• checked the RAM
  • checked the drivers
  • set up my computer and much more..

The only thing that helped at the end was, that I bought a new Card. I tried the card (with the problem) in the Computer of my friend and: Oo The same problem.

So the Graphic Card was defect!!

greetz.

and sorry for my english :P

0 0

Well, i've been studying a lot for university lately and i still got the problem in my pc. This week i'll try changing the videocard because it looks like it's the only solution to the problem.

About the energy source, i have a very strong energy source, and i changed it to see if it was the problem, and it is not… so yeah, i'm f***ed :( the videocard is too expensive :( I wished the problem was the eletric "juice" :(

The Manager
0 0

okay Korg had his go. This may not be a bad card. Try this.

Open your case, Ground everything out (no cord hit the power button and do the work on a hard floor - not carpet)

remove the RAM, the Video Card and any other external cards from your motherboard.

Now power her up and listen to the musical beeps.

Power back down and install everything - ensuring it is all firmly in place and connectors are all clean - then boot her up again.

Once this is done try the system out. Failing that, try to remove all the system drivers do a cold boot and start over from scratch with the drivers. Let me know if this helps. If it does good. if not I will think some more for you.

Banned
0 0

My friend had the same problem, he had to replace the motherboard because it was a broken capacitor. Try switching out the mobo.

Admin from hell
0 0

I know most of you are trying to help but if you look at what was already done, He has remove all drivers and wipe them ran updated drivers, ran a stress test on the card. So everything points to a bad card, Not a driver, a power supply problem would make it overheat and that bios would catch it, It's not a bad mobo the post would catch that on boot up. The OP installed ubuntu and had the same problem he has a bad card, At the OP send it back even if you didn't buy it new it may be under warranty if not start bitching and it will be.

0 0

Yeah, it seems that my videocard is dead. I'll take my computer to a shop where they have good technicians. Since they have seen lots of machines, they have possibly seen this. If it doesn't work, well, at least i'm at the shop, so i'll be able to buy a new videocard there. I'll tell the technician to try Aldarhawk's suggestion for i'm poor right now, and buying a new videocard will cost the hell out of me :( need to save some money…

The Manager
0 0

If you do not want to listen to someone who has been building machines for 14 years that is fine. But trust me, it is a waste of your money to take it to the technician if you have not done all the things I posted. This may be a bad card, however, there are many other things it could be. Why pay someone a hundred bucks to tell you what you already think you know? Exhaust all your possibilities before you start to throw money out the window.

0 0

I don't know which country you live in, but since it's a new video card, shouldn't the guarantee cover the costs and pay for the repairs or give you a new one?

0 0

Aldarhawk, the thing is that i have tried everything people said in forums, did everything korg and hbh guys told me, and nothing works. And the owner of the store is a friend of mine, so i might get the repair for free or very cheap actually. I will do what you're telling me then tomorrow, since it's already late here. If it doesn't work, i'll post something here.

btw c4p_sl0ck, my card was bought like one year and so, and the guarantee does not cover it anymore…

0 0

chess_rock wrote: btw c4p_sl0ck, my card was bought like one year and so, and the guarantee does not cover it anymore…

Ah, okay. You could always try to explain the situation and maybe get a discount on a new one. Depending on how nice they are and what "power" they have. It's worth a try if nothing else helps.

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: Ah, okay. You could always try to explain the situation and maybe get a discount on a new one. Depending on how nice they are and what "power" they have. It's worth a try if nothing else helps.

Yeah, i'll do that ^_^ but it works very little here in my country though…